Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
My Monson 715 barrel and frame split. F***
Andrew1220
Members
Forum Posts: 718
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 24, 2020 - 7:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well my Monson, MA DW 715 is completely toast. The barrel split which unfortunately split the frame😭

I am beyond pissed at myself (because I had considered replacing the barrel since the throat was eroded only after 1500ish rounds - purchased new in July 2019) and at DW. I had been in contact with Bob at DW expressing my concerns with the barrel throat getting eroded and he said:

“Andrew, This seems to be the new normal on barrel wear, I have been told it’s because of the recycling of the steel. I don’t know, I’ve seen barrels with thousands of rounds through them with no wear and then some with hundreds of rounds with wear. Heavy hunting loads and hand loads will cause erosion but I have seen this with target loads also. I have been told they are safe to shoot and will last, they just don’t look like the will . I realize I haven’t answered your question but that’s the best I have at this time. Keep me posted on how it performs and if it gets any worse.”

So because of their shitty QC on the steel I’m out a $800+ gun that is next to impossible to get in this communist state (MA).

Not to sound entitled but the amount of money I’ve given DW on custom shrouds and action work, I feel like I should get a discount on one of their new 715’s and/or at no cost.

So pissed.

I had also been in contact with a fellow forum member who is having the same issues with the erosion and purchased a barrel the same time I did (2019) and he also said that his first Dan Wesson revolver blew up because the barrel wasn’t heat treated. I’ve got a couple emails to him asking what Dan Wesson did to resolve that but haven’t heard back yet.

DW-1.jpgImage Enlarger

DW-2.jpgImage Enlarger
DW-3.jpgImage Enlarger
DW-4.jpgImage Enlarger

Andrew1220
Members
October 24, 2020 - 7:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Heres my 44 magnum 10 inch barrel purchased from DW in February 2019. 0 erosion. Same round count.

DW-44-barrel.jpgImage Enlarger

715:

BA3D3A95-1E67-4DF5-B847-F001B9CA30CB.jpegImage Enlarger

3ric
NC
Members
Forum Posts: 570
October 24, 2020 - 9:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, this seems to be uncharted territory for DW. I’ve never seen this before, but I’m certainly no expert. Looking closely at the photos much more erosion is visible on the 715 forcing cone compared to the.44, and a failure to adequately heat treat the barrel could certainly be the cause. If it is indeed recycled steel in the first place, that is inexcusable. I can only hope DW will do something to help you out.

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1690
October 24, 2020 - 9:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are you shooting standard factory rounds or are you reloading?  If you're shooing standard factory rounds, my opinion - they should replace the barrel AND the gun.  It wouldn't be the end of the world for them to replace it, and since it was caused by their faulty barrel, it would be the right thing to do.  It's a major problem for you to deal with, it would be a minor issue for them to replace it, especially since you brought it to their attention previously and they deemed it safe.  Both you and DW are lucky no one was injured.  If this is the "new normal" under normal shooting conditions, then I expect consideration of a massive recall should be in order.  New barrels bursting apart after 1,500 rounds are not safe to be in use  - they're a hazard to the shooter and a liability for the company.  The barrel should NEVER burst apart with factory loads - they should eventually wear out with loss of rifling.  

Andrew1220
Members
October 24, 2020 - 10:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DakotaJack said
Are you shooting standard factory rounds or are you reloading?  If you're shooing standard factory rounds, my opinion - they should replace the barrel AND the gun.  It wouldn't be the end of the world for them to replace it, and since it was caused by their faulty barrel, it would be the right thing to do.  It's a major problem for you to deal with, it would be a minor issue for them to replace it, especially since you brought it to their attention previously and they deemed it safe.  Both you and DW are lucky no one was injured.  If this is the "new normal" under normal shooting conditions, then I expect consideration of a massive recall should be in order.  New barrels bursting apart after 1,500 rounds are not safe to be in use  - they're a hazard to the shooter and a liability for the company.  The barrel should NEVER burst apart with factory loads - they should eventually wear out with loss of rifling.  

Reloads. I'm below max. 14.5 gr 2400 under a Zero 158 gr JHP.

Yeah the fact that Bob acknowledged my barrel forcing cone being "normal" over the summer seems like a really ballsy move/statement.

I honestly do not believe it was an ammo issue. It's literally impossible to double charge using 2400 as it fils the case very well. I look in the cases before seating a bullet and would have needed powder filled to the top (making it impossible to seat a bullet and very noticeable when placing the bullet on the case).

I'm sure they'll argue the reload angle but with the previous email history with Bob he should have offered to send me a new barrel not "keep shooting it and let me know how it works out". That's a huge liability for them. If I told him the barrel looked like this after 30k plus rounds then I would say its on me to buy a new barrel as I've clearly shot it out. But the 44 magnum barrel is from 2019 and same round count with no erosion - that's the kicker. 

Andrew1220
Members
October 24, 2020 - 10:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This was an email from fellow DWF member "Tim". I GUARANTEE I'm not the only person with a defective barrel out there. Hell my vintage DW barrels from the 80s don't look like this. 

IMG_6464.PNGImage Enlarger

IMG_6465.PNGImage Enlarger

hugelk
Northern Illinois
Members
Forum Posts: 392
October 25, 2020 - 12:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey Andrew, Sorry to here of the damage to your DW. You seem to have bad luck with guns sometimes. Didnt you have a cracked slide on your Coonan Classic 357 last year ?  Please let us know what happens regarding the crack frame/ barrel. Have they routed you to CZ for warranty work ? I heard it has been moved out of the Dan Wesson factory.

Regarsd

Andrew1220
Members
October 25, 2020 - 12:35 am

hugelk said
Hey Andrew, Sorry to here of the damage to your DW. You seem to have bad luck with guns sometimes. Didnt you have a cracked slide on your Coonan Classic 357 last year ?  Please let us know what happens regarding the crack frame/ barrel. Have they routed you to CZ for warranty work ? I heard it has been moved out of the Dan Wesson factory.

Regarsd

The Coonan crack was in 2017 but yeah the slide cracked. Again, I wasn’t the only owner that had the same issue. They had to revise the design of the slide and make a notch behind the extractor. 

I sent the email to Bob and Keith about an hour ago. Keith had an auto replay saying he wouldn’t be back in the office until 10/4...? Maybe he meant 11/4. 

Anyway, I’ll certainly report back once they respond. 

stonebuster
Members
Forum Posts: 266
October 25, 2020 - 9:37 am

First, I'm glad you weren't injured, sorry it happened and thanks for bringing this to our attention. IMO, the fact Bob acknowledged at least some of the barrels wear prematurely("new normal") even with target loads is in your favor. The fact he said to keep shooting it is on your side too. The only thing going against you is you were shooting handloads. Since CZ has a reputation as a high end gun I would think they would be well served to replace your 715. It's the right thing to do and it would help preserve their reputation. On the other hand, CZ may be concerned replacement may be seen as admitting a safety issue which could be a liability if someone was injured due to barrel failure. Best of luck to you.

Andrew1220
Members
October 25, 2020 - 9:43 am

stonebuster said
First, I'm glad you weren't injured, sorry it happened and thanks for bringing this to our attention. IMO, the fact Bob acknowledged at least some of the barrels wear prematurely("new normal") even with target loads is in your favor. The fact he said to keep shooting it is on your side too. The only thing going against you is you were shooting handloads. Since CZ has a reputation as a high end gun I would think they would be well served to replace your 715. It's the right thing to do and it would help their reputation. CZ is lucky this didn't result in a serious injury and a lawsuit. Best of luck to you.

Thanks. Yeah they’ll definitely argue the reloads = no warranty etc. 

I’ve fired off an email to Bob and Keith (DW President) that was very brief and included photos. I just said I’m following up to our last email exchange where you told me to keep you posted on how it performs. 

We shall see how they respond....

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1004
October 25, 2020 - 10:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Never good to tell a different story than what you post online. In this day and age it's too easy for the word to get around as I'm sure there may be some monitoring here.

Andrew1220
Members
October 25, 2020 - 11:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

605Dart said
Never good to tell a different story than what you post online. In this day and age it's too easy for the word to get around as I'm sure there may be some monitoring here.

Yup

hugelk
Northern Illinois
Members
Forum Posts: 392
October 25, 2020 - 12:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi  Andrew,   Typically a reputable manufacturer would want to do an in depth metallurgical analysis of the barrel and frame. Its the only way that they could determine the true root cause of the problem . Its amazing what modern technology can determine. Ive been involved with failure analysis of chemical processing equipment for many years....CZ could do it.   The easy way out for CZ would be to  blame your reloads and say " no warranty", or say "Its your reloads but because you are a valued customer  here is a new barrel ..AFTER you send us the split one. That was always a prime objective- get possession of the failed component.    IMHO, Keith and Bob at DW are honest trustworthy individuals. I have no experience with the CZ folks. rnI am especially interested in your unfortunate situation since I purchased 3 various barrel tubes during the same time frame as yours, but none have been fired more than a few hundred times.  Your gun would be an interesting " calendar pic " ??? and reminder to always wear eye protection !

Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
Forum Posts: 567
October 25, 2020 - 8:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've got about 200 rounds thru my new 715 and of course on wear, hey I haven't even cleaned it yet. One thing I noticed before ever firing the gun was what looked to be tool scratch on the cone end of the barrel, they are 180 degree apart and can catch the fingernail. Never mentioned it to Keith because the gun is a plinker and once all the 357 I have is shot up, I'll be selling it as I don't really like shooting revolvers because of extra cleaning involved with cylinder. I'll try to give you a call tomorrow Andy. 

Revolvers   

New Model M-715 Pistol Pack

1911's   

Bob Tail RZ 10mm - Bob Tail RZ 38 Super by Keith @ DW - DW 38 Super Guardian

Andrew1220
Members
October 27, 2020 - 9:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s looking like DW might be doing the right thing. I just responded asking if “replace it” means the frame as well. We shall see. 

Anyway, there it is right from DW - it's a barrel failure.

9D6203C8-8660-41A0-9980-8B9E9F118C16.pngImage Enlarger

Andrew1220
Members
October 27, 2020 - 1:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Confirmed. Bob is replacing the whole gun. Now I'm wondering if the new gun and new barrel won't split again???

Andrew1220
Members
October 27, 2020 - 3:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
Forum Posts: 567
November 28, 2020 - 8:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey man, did you get your replacement as yet?

I had to send mine in as it has either has head spacing problems or it's not trued with frame. It would often jam up and not let cylinder rotate after firing using with 3 different brands of ammo. I bet mine isn't back till after New Year's.

Oh well I've been taking up the slack with the custom bobtail RZ'z in 10mm and 38 Supper and having a hoot.

Revolvers   

New Model M-715 Pistol Pack

1911's   

Bob Tail RZ 10mm - Bob Tail RZ 38 Super by Keith @ DW - DW 38 Super Guardian

Andrew1220
Members
December 6, 2020 - 3:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Waldo Pepper said
Hey man, did you get your replacement as yet?

I had to send mine in as it has either has head spacing problems or it's not trued with frame. It would often jam up and not let cylinder rotate after firing using with 3 different brands of ammo. I bet mine isn't back till after New Year's.

Oh well I've been taking up the slack with the custom bobtail RZ'z in 10mm and 38 Supper and having a hoot.

Hey Walt! No I haven’t got the replacement yet. I might shoot an email off to Bob this week just to see if he has a ballpark timeframe. 6? Months? 1 year? Etc. He did say “it might take some time” since he’s building a new one. 

That’s a bummer you had an issue with yours. Hopefully they get it fixed and sent back soon. Definitely keep me posted when you get it back. 

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3940
December 6, 2020 - 9:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dan Wesson refused to make a stainless gun. They were not made until 2 years after he died. I have been doing bonsai as a hobby for 45 years. Traditionally, bonsai pruners are high carbon Japanese steel. Most today are made in China or South Korea. They are much inferior. Stainless tools started showing up around the same time that stainless Revolvers and Semi autos started being made. Early SS 1911s had pilling problems on the rails. SS is much softer and also is quite brittle. Not all stainless is the same but I am now done with stainless tools. After decades I tried them again. One pair of pruners lasted 2 weeks. The replacement one just cracked and bent after a year. They should last decades. I have a few stainless guns but I mostly have blue. Since I have quite a few, none get a lot of use. If I need one for self defence I will have one or two or five  backups handy.

Bonsai pruners have an incredible force on them. The can cut through wood like a hot knife through soft butter because of the mechanical advantage they have. Similar to a bolt cutter. Quite a testing ground for steel. The cracked frame of that 715 looks very familiar. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: bikeridertim, DA....64
Guest(s) 47
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3940
Stinger: 3388