Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
dan wesson model 15 1982/83 bent barrel.
Rimfire

Supporter
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 342
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 6, 2017 - 9:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

People arrive at this forum via an unknown number of links in cyber space.

When I landed I noticed the START HERE threads on the forum page. As a guest I read lots and lots of informative stuff about Dans and realized I wanted to know more. I went back to START HERE when I decided to join the forum. I learned years ago that you have to play by the rules of the playground you are on.

I support the forum financially because I immediately noticed there aren't any annoying pop-ups urging me to refinance my mortgage, enlarge my penis, or meet "Russia woman eager to pleese". I try to make thoughtful contributions when I can and ask specific questions.

You might want to follow your own advice, go back and check on all those first posts from new members. I don't know how many I've read since joining but your assessment about folks offering ZERO help just isn't factual. Those first posts can/do pop up anywhere on the forum...despite the suggestions of START HERE...and there is almost always a friendly greeting or answer provided. Those of us who have been here more than a week know that Admin Steve wants the place run by the books...and rather than seeing him descend on uninformed/unwilling newbies, some of us (myself included) make his "introduce yourself" suggestions first. It's not a race.

Myronman, I don't take your comments as kicking sand in my face. You and bohuggabee are expressing a point of view. It is up to forum members to decide if your point has merit or if it is misinformed. I do notice that you both share a unique attitude, vocabulary, and typographical skillset...hmmm.

"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SPEND IT WITH AN UGLY GUN!" - John Taffin

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
October 6, 2017 - 10:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you for for the observation about New Members. I guess what you see to be the race to greet New Members reflects our hope/desire to have a community of DW owners that share a common interest. I have been on Forums with controls in place that force a New Members post, that does not happen here.

Let's say someone walks up to your front door and demands information, what is your reaction? Let's say that I ask (at your front door) for you to introduce yourself before I talk to you? Let's say that then I get a sarcastic, aggressive response? How helpful do you plan to be?

I do see a possibility to resolve this question, however. Maybe we will open a new Forum Group titled "Just Tell Me What I Want  To Know, And I Will Go Away".

Then we just skip the foreplay and get down to it?

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Rimfire

Supporter
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 342
October 6, 2017 - 10:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm all for skipping the foreplay...just ask any of my ex-wives. wife

"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SPEND IT WITH AN UGLY GUN!" - John Taffin

Zedbra
Squamish, British Columbia
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 661
October 6, 2017 - 10:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve said
Thank you for for the observation about New Members. I guess what you see to be the race to greet New Members reflects our hope/desire to have a community of DW owners that share a common interest. I have been on Forums with controls in place that force a New Members post, that does not happen here.

I am an Admin on a popular truck forum that has the New Members section and we find it works very well at letting people ease into the hot tub, getting them to introduce who they are, what they own, and then opens the ability for them to post elsewhere in the sub forums.  It also keeps spammers at bay, which can be very troublesome at times. 

Anyways, to the OP, I can't offer any advice to the bent shroud/barrel other than see a gunsmith to confirm.  Luckily, they can be easily replaced on Dans.   I found your attitude abrasive, by the way, and not really in line with the usual gentleman's tone of this excellent forum; a little reading around and you may have picked up on that before going 0-10 on other members that meant no ill will.

myronman3
Members
Forum Posts: 7
October 6, 2017 - 11:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

some of us are not all that interested in posting information about what we have online.   if you know what you are doing, you can track down who is where pretty easily.   a good part of any security plan is keeping information on exactly what is where......aka "loose lips sink ships".   

and i've give ya credit, at least some of what i said is being considered....or at least seems to be.   

one distinction....i dont recall anyone demanding anything.  asking for help, suggestions, or info?  yup.  demanding?   nope.  

although new to this forum, i've been around and have a long online history on forums.  i help more people than not, and i call it like i see it.   i'm more than willing to share my knowlege with other folks; so long as they do not have nafarious intent.   i guess in the shooting community, that's the kind of attitude i see most places and what i expect from most folks in the community.    as far as giving out information to where i live and what i have, aint happening.    if you cant accept that a person has an interest in the subject matter, i dont see where laying out their location and possesions online is going to benefit them in any way, shape, or form.   

DA....64
Wisconsin

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1511
October 6, 2017 - 11:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

myronman3:

From what I see this all started from a simple request to introduce yourself (what is the big deal) and has grown a life of its own.  My suggestion would be to let things be and do the polite thing that is a standard request and introduce yourself and then move on from there. 

bohuggabee
Members
Forum Posts: 8
October 10, 2017 - 2:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

i just decided to fix it by hand.  i used a diamond file and worked it down slowly, barrel shroud is now straight and i haven't shot it yet, but all should be good and fine. will post pictures if anyone actually cares about the real issue here...

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
October 10, 2017 - 3:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I for one would love to see the outcome of your fix, as well as a report on how well it actually shoots now. I also will rejoice to leave all that other stuff behind.

LB

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
October 10, 2017 - 6:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I look forward as well to seeing the resolution of this problem, it may be useful to our Members, current and future.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

myronman3
Members
Forum Posts: 7
October 10, 2017 - 10:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bohuggabee said
i just decided to fix it by hand.  i used a diamond file and worked it down slowly, barrel shroud is now straight and i haven't shot it yet, but all should be good and fine. will post pictures if anyone actually cares about the real issue here...                                                                                                                    

yup.   would love to see it.  

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Dan Fan, 605Dart, thegunguy, tlawler
Guest(s) 50
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912