Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
dan wesson model 15 1982/83 bent barrel.
bohuggabee
Members
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 1, 2017 - 7:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

IMG_4069.JPGImage Enlarger

IMG_4073.JPGImage Enlarger
IMG_4074.JPGImage Enlarger
IMG_4070.JPGImage Enlarger
IMG_4075.JPGImage Enlarger
IMG_4071.JPGImage Enlarger
IMG_4076.JPGImage Enlarger
IMG_4077.JPGImage Enlarger
IMG_4068.JPGImage Enlarger
IMG_4072.JPGImage Enlarger
i did my best in the photos to represent what i was talking about.  but i noticed that when assembled my barrel seemed to point left, and i thought no way!.  but using a straight edge and a right angle, i confirmed my suspicions.  the base of the housing of the barrel is not a perfect right angle, and the barrel itself as well points to the left.  i've had it for 3 days, and have shot about 100 rounds through it before i noticed.  the front of the of barrel housing is mirrored in the angle as well.  the frame itself seems to be fine, so this would mean the threading in the frame is canted to the left.  it was such a nice revolver and such a great find, it just goes to show don't trust anyone in colorado…you can't really tell the barrel is crooked if the tension of the housing isn't fully tightened.  so when i tightened it it started to show. no wonder it wouldn't shoot straight!

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
October 1, 2017 - 8:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

bohuggabee
Members
October 1, 2017 - 9:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve said
Please visit New Members  

ok so what does visiting new members have to do with my canted and unaligned housing/barrel to the frame?  

bohuggabee
Members
October 1, 2017 - 10:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve said
Please visit New Members  

incase you didn't notice, i took the shroud off and the base of the shroud that meets the frame is not perfectly 90 degree.  

Steve

Dans Club
October 2, 2017 - 7:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bohuggabee said

ok so what does visiting new members have to do with my canted and unaligned housing/barrel to the frame?  

Simply that we like to have folks introduce themselves, sort of a courtesy thing. I guess that won't be happening here, will it?

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

myronman3
Members
Forum Posts: 7
October 2, 2017 - 8:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

with their warm welcomes, i hope they dont wonder why the forum aint growing.

i experienced the same when i tried to post.   bummer about the barrel.  keep the frame and get another shroud and barrel.

willy
Ohio

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 831
bohuggabee
Members
October 3, 2017 - 1:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
bohuggabee
Members
October 3, 2017 - 1:26 pm

myronman3 said
with their warm welcomes, i hope they dont wonder why the forum aint growing.

i experienced the same when i tried to post.   bummer about the barrel.  keep the frame and get another shroud and barrel.  

it seems to be the base of the shroud isn't angle to 90 degrees, and the barrel has a little play off the frame, i think that some truing up of the shroud and inner shroud alignment should force the barrel straight from the frame. was hoping to have some reassurance from the dan wesson forum because i figured people here would know a little about dan wessons. 

and ya, most admns now days are just power hungry over zealous cry babies that can't handle anything beyond their need to either shut people up online, or block/shut down threads…its all their job is.  to make the internet less tolerable and enjoyable.  they are just degrading everything, and most are hypocrite exploiters of their positions. i have literally never met a decent admn online….i'll probably get banned or the thread will be archived because the admn is steaming so bad about me saying this, or simply because i didn't introduce myself, which has no importance when discussing a serious issue with dan wessons.  but I'm sure he then gives out false information biased towards who he likes and doesn't like.  

but i just have problems with authority figures…I'm simply here to talk about revolvers and not talk about myself. 

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3359
October 3, 2017 - 2:13 pm

bohuggabee said
and ya, most admns now days are just power hungry over zealous cry babies that can't handle anything beyond their need to either shut people up online, or block/shut down threads…its all their job is. to make the internet less tolerable and enjoyable. they are just degrading everything, and most are hypocrite exploiters of their positions. i have literally never met a decent admn online….i'll probably get banned or the thread will be archived because the admn is steaming so bad about me saying this, or simply because i didn't introduce myself, which has no importance when discussing a serious issue with dan wessons. but I'm sure he then gives out false information biased towards who he likes and doesn't like.

dwf-welcome

Steve

Dans Club
October 3, 2017 - 6:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Guess What?

I plan to let this topic stay open as long there is no further overt violation of Forum Policy.

Have fun, consider this Topic a Free Fire Zone. Once it violates Forum Policy, it will go away.

Since the Original Post discusses a "bent barrel", and most of the discussion does not include anything about a bent barrel, what we are left with?

However, Best Regards from the "over zealous cry baby that can’t handle anything beyond their need to either shut people up online, or block/shut down threads…its all their job is.  to make the internet less tolerable and enjoyable.  they are just degrading everything, and most are hypocrite exploiters of their positions."

PS: If this is my Job, how soon will my paycheck arrive? I could use the $$$confused

George Carlin

bohuggabee
Members
October 4, 2017 - 10:17 am

Steve said
Guess What?

I plan to let this topic stay open as long there is no further overt violation of Forum Policy.

Have fun, consider this Topic a Free Fire Zone. Once it violates Forum Policy, it will go away.

Since the Original Post discusses a "bent barrel", and most of the discussion does not include anything about a bent barrel, what we are left with?

However, Best Regards from the "over zealous cry baby that can’t handle anything beyond their need to either shut people up online, or block/shut down threads…its all their job is.  to make the internet less tolerable and enjoyable.  they are just degrading everything, and most are hypocrite exploiters of their positions."

PS: If this is my Job, how soon will my paycheck arrive? I could use the $$$confused  

you proving my point.  freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom to say what you want me to say...

bohuggabee
Members
October 4, 2017 - 10:19 am

any real information out there?  or am i to expect this type of representation from all dan wesson fans?  i was told these are quality guns, with a cult following that is representable of competence with the best in the market…i don't think i'll be buying another dan wesson. just another all talk, and no representation…nice insides though.  the machine work functions well, and seems to lock up well.  don't know how they couldn't even align a barrel though. 

Rimfire

Supporter
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 342
October 4, 2017 - 10:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There are innumerable finely crafted Dan Wesson pistols...yours seems to be an aberration.

There are also innumerable, knowledgeable, friendly members of this forum...you seem to be an aberration.

Your "gimme what I want and gimme it now" approach does not lend itself to the forum or to the hobby.

JMHO and an exercise of my freedom of speech.

"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SPEND IT WITH AN UGLY GUN!" - John Taffin

middlecalf
Idaho
Members
Forum Posts: 342
October 4, 2017 - 11:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would try and find some gunsmith tooling that utilizes the barrel’s bore centerline versus the external features of both the barrel and shroud to check alignment including orientation of threads.  Might need to check the frame as well.  This might require a visit to a certified gunsmith or at least the tooling used for a center-bore lathe setup.  Use of a right angle tool for this is subject to error.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3879
October 4, 2017 - 9:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In all the years on the forum I have never encountered a poster with as bad an attitude as you Bohuggie. Many of us could give you good advice but I believe  nothing we say would be believed. I don't even know why you needed the forum. You seem to know everything. There, I feel better. Steve, my hats off to you for your forbearance.

Bobaby, Dan Wesson barrel assemblies are fungible. Find another and you will have a fine gun in all likelihood. You can have the frame end of the shroud milled perpendicular and it would likely work but the work by a gunsmith would probably cost  about what a barrel assembly would cost. eBay or Gunbroker are your best options for a BA. Many members have extras but dealing with you would be a real pain I am sure. BTW, I am one of the World's nicest guys. Or so I am told. Forum friends, please forgive my in temperance. 

Steve

Dans Club
October 4, 2017 - 10:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bohuggabee said
any real information out there?  or am i to expect this type of representation from all dan wesson fans?  i was told these are quality guns, with a cult following that is representable of competence with the best in the market…i don't think i'll be buying another dan wesson. just another all talk, and no representation…nice insides though.  the machine work functions well, and seems to lock up well.  don't know how they couldn't even align a barrel though.   

Good news here, he won't be buying any more DW's because DWF does not meet his expectations. One less competitor in the purchasing market.

DWF does not "represent"  Dan Wesson products, no matter when they were produced.

And, way over on the lower left side of your keyboard is a "shift" key. Most literate and intelligent people manage to find the shift key to start a sentence, refer to themselves as "I", and of course "Dan Wesson".

This continues to be a most entertaining topic big-grinrofllaughing

George Carlin

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1674
October 5, 2017 - 4:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's about time we got some flame throwing going on here!!  laughing  It's been too quiet here for way too long and I thought I was going to have to start some sh** here myself to liven things up!!  Keep up the good work!!rofl

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5269
October 6, 2017 - 5:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I fixed the exact same problem a few years ago.  Relatively easy, but now, I forget how....conveniently. 

Regards,

A cult follower who has a job and only checks in when he can.  You should have been a bit more patient before starting to criticize a forum you've not been on too long.  

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

myronman3
Members
Forum Posts: 7
October 6, 2017 - 7:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

if you think it is the base that is off, you can either ditch the shroud and find a new one, or try to get it machined to level it.   

i saw an episode of "log men" a while back (forgive me, nothing else going on that particular moment in time) where one of the knuckleheads on there was using a 10 inch barrel ruger blackhawk to pry on a tree he was trying to fell.      the point?   you never know what kind of crap has been done to/with a gun before you owned it.   

the key is dianosing exactly where the nexus of the problem is, then address it from there.  if the barrel is bent, obviously a new barrel and shroud are in order.   if you believe it's the base of the shroud, try correcting that or get a new shroud. 

regarding the other monkeyshines....i can tell you, before i even joined this site, i noticed that EVERY new post on here was followed by members seeming to race to correct the new member to "stop by new members and introduce yourself" and yet ZERO efffort to help address whatever the original poster was posting about.    guys, it's a turn off.    big time.   
      now, i realize 90% of you are going to take this as me kicking sand in your face, but that aint my intent.   i aint saying you shouldnt encourage folks to do that, but perhaps helping folks with whatever issue they are posting about would make them feel welcome, instead of alienating them right out of the gate.  because whether you realize it or not, that is exactly what you are doing.   dont believe me?  go back and read posts by new members.     PLENTY of effort to tell them to stop by, and damn little to address the reason they origianlly posted.   

you can take this however you want.    either use it to better yourselves and your efforts to build a fine forum, or ignore it and continue to alienate folks.    doesnt matter to me.    do what you want with it.  

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 38
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3879
Stinger: 3359