Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Current opinion regarding the NEW DW 715
SIGWolf
Vermont

Supporter
Members
Forum Posts: 256
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 11, 2014 - 9:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've searched and generally the tone seems to be, yeah, they're good, but not $1000+ good. Perhaps $700 good, but not much more. So far, from what I've seen, the BLEM guns are still selling for $900+ and the non-BLEM, for $1050+ new. Even used ones are not really coming down in price much.

I did see a new BLEM for $750 as a starting price on an auction. The FFL had NOT indicated it was a BLEM but confirmed it when I emailed. He said he was "negotiable". I'm not sure what that means. I haven't pursued it.

My inclination is to put the money, if there is any, on a vintage 715. It's really too bad, now that CZ has come out with new revolvers, to have it fail. However, it doesn't seem to be making any headway in the market.

So, what is your current opinion. confused

"Life does not have to be perfect, just lived".

"Deserves got nothin' to do with it".

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
October 11, 2014 - 8:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My current opinion is that if I was in the market for a new manufacture stainless .357, I'd buy a Smith whipping

BUT, I'd never realistically be in the market for any new manufacture .357, I already have several great .357's.

There is one .357 revolver I'd buy if the right deal came along, an original, old school S&W Model 66 no dash.

First gun I ever shot. 

BTW, Smith has reintroduced the K frame Model 66 stainless 4" at $849 MSRP! Hello CZ, are you listening???

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Ed Mc
Members
Forum Posts: 148
October 11, 2014 - 11:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The main advantage to DWs, as always, is the ease of inter changeable barrels. At 1K that advantage is negated. You could buy two complete Ruger GP-100s with different length barrels for about the same price. Like them or not, they are serviceable revolvers that will handle any load.

Looking for an older model may well be a better option as to cost. Pacs will cost some money but in my area a 15-2 with single barrel can be purchase pretty reasonably, although most I've seen advertised are blued guns, not stainless.

From my limited experience with sellers on the internet auction sites if you take the time to ask a question they're quite quick to ask for an offer. No problem with ending an auction if the offer is good enough. If you watch for awhile many guns are listed, then re-listed…….and re-listed. Just take a look at 'Completed Sales/Items' in a search.

Steve

Dans Club
October 12, 2014 - 10:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ed Mc said
The main advantage to DWs, as always, is the ease of inter changeable barrels. At 1K that advantage is negated. You could buy two complete Ruger GP-100s with different length barrels for about the same price. Like them or not, they are serviceable revolvers that will handle any load.

Looking for an older model may well be a better option as to cost. Pacs will cost some money but in my area a 15-2 with single barrel can be purchase pretty reasonably, although most I've seen advertised are blued guns, not stainless.

From my limited experience with sellers on the internet auction sites if you take the time to ask a question they're quite quick to ask for an offer. No problem with ending an auction if the offer is good enough. If you watch for awhile many guns are listed, then re-listed…….and re-listed. Just take a look at 'Completed Sales/Items' in a search.

Ed, I agree on the interchangeable barrel option, it's a huge selling point. I'm the DWF "renegade", I only own and shoot 4 VH. I've owned other B/A's, and at one point in time I was very close to building matching 15-2 and 715 Packs, I just don't like shooting ANYTHING except 4VH. I'd compromise on the VH part to get a nice original M66 no dash or -1

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Tatume
Members
Forum Posts: 21
October 12, 2014 - 12:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ed Mc said

Hello Folks,

Although I don't own a Dan Wesson revolver, I'm actively searching for one in 44 Rem Mag chambering.  I thought the biggest advantage to DW revolvers was superior accuracy?

Thanks, Tom

Steve

Dans Club
October 12, 2014 - 3:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tom-

Interchangeable barrels are a huge advantage for the DW revolver platform.

I think the tensioned barrel is equally important, along with the ability to "home gunsmith" the action to improve smoothness, trigger pull, etc.

Yes, Accuracy!!!

George Carlin

ese927
SHELBYVILLE, KENTUCKY
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1360
October 12, 2014 - 5:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree that accuracy is king, but ya gotta admit, the simplicity of a great user interface, is top of the shelf as well....  just to throw out some techy terms..cool

Oath Keeper #021479 NRA #206814004
Member AAGSR Member AGA #83120600233

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
October 12, 2014 - 6:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have one of the blem guns.  I got a decent price but wasn't told it was a blem until seller had my $.  I cannot find a thing wrong with it but I will use it as a shooter as it is very accurate.  I simply WANTED one, didn't need it but figured they may not make them for long and it would fill a niche in the collection.  I think CZ is over priced especially in so generic a caliber as 357 mag.  I think I'd be more willing to shell out if I could order a large frame or a supermag in an interesting caliber say 414.  
Bottom line, if you are looking at the purchase from a purely economic perspective, save the coin and buy an older 715.  If you WANT one, get one, they are great guns just like all the other Dan's.  
Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

Steve

Dans Club
October 12, 2014 - 11:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SCORPIO said
I have one of the blem guns.  I got a decent price but wasn't told it was a blem until seller had my $.  I cannot find a thing wrong with it but I will use it as a shooter as it is very accurate.  I simply WANTED one, didn't need it but figured they may not make them for long and it would fill a niche in the collection.  I think CZ is over priced especially in so generic a caliber as 357 mag.  I think I'd be more willing to shell out if I could order a large frame or a supermag in an interesting caliber say 414.  
Bottom line, if you are looking at the purchase from a purely economic perspective, save the coin and buy an older 715.  If you WANT one, get one, they are great guns just like all the other Dan's.  
Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It really would not cost much more for CZ to jump into the .414/.445/.45LC... market. In the world of CNC machining, it seems to me that it comes down to computer programming, and then validating the results.

And there would be a $1000+ market for those guns

George Carlin

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
Forum Posts: 870
October 13, 2014 - 10:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The last spare $1000 I had to spend on a gun put a Colt Python in my safe range-time.  Granted that was about 2.5 years ago and it appears Pythons have climbed the price ladder since then.

I am a big fan of the .357, it's one of my favorite calibers.  I would likely consider a new model 715 but would have to hold it in my hands and give a little time for gtdw to creep up on me screwy

-Wayne

3PPCLined.jpg

Tatume
Members
Forum Posts: 21
October 13, 2014 - 6:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve CT said
I think the tensioned barrel is equally important, along with the ability to "home gunsmith" the action to improve smoothness, trigger pull, etc.

Hi Steve,

Is there a tutorial on "home gunsmithing" the Dan Wesson revolvers?  Could you point me to it?

Thanks, Tom

Steve

Dans Club
October 13, 2014 - 8:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

George Carlin

mrarff
Members
Forum Posts: 12
October 18, 2014 - 8:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SIGWolf,

Thanks for starting this informative topic. I am new to the DW "family", as of this February when I bought my first 15-2. Since then , I bought another to give to my son. He is a Glock person for sure, but quickly fell for the DW 15-2.

I had been watching the new 715 with great interest, however I was not seduced by the prices. It looked to me as though the very day these "blems" were available, people bought them to try and turn a quick dollar. How did that turn out?? For the most part the ones on GB are the same guns on there today. Listed...relisted...ad nauseam. I would also like to hold one prior to buying one.  I too have been thinking that "smart money" would search for an older 715. As noted earlier, one was recently listed at a "starting price" of $750. Better, and perhaps as good as it will get. To me if the new gun was really great, not just "good", it would fetch a higher price than a decent used one. JMHO.

The one thing I enjoy about this community is the open and candid attitude about sharing information. I am not a trained gunsmith or an engineer by profession, but I can and do work on just about anything someone brings to me, with the exception of electronics. I am a "joe schmoe kitchen table gunsmith", and this community is a wonderful "physicians desk reference" for me.

Thanks again!

MrArff

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: BearLakeBlues, rwayne45
Guest(s) 37
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300