Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
DW 715
capt jack

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 211
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 21, 2024 - 1:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Taking delivery next week….it was one of the last to be manufactured by CZ
one big problem…it is new, never fired….not sure how long that will last
The guy i purchased from made a really nice display case…not sure what to do with that

20240117_152147.jpegImage Enlarger

IMG_0872.jpegImage Enlarger

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
January 21, 2024 - 2:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

CHARLES TESS

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 91
Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 676
Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3914
January 21, 2024 - 7:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice score! As far as the case is concerned, who leaves guns in glass cases any more? Maybe Stan can mount it on his wall. Of course, you can put any REALLY COLLECTABLE gun in the glass case. 

Stmstan 445
Phoenix, Arizona

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 569
January 22, 2024 - 4:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny I messaged that guy and asked him if he had the original case he said no. also asked him if he had the original rubber Hogue grip with the dan Wesson DW stamped in the rubber he said no also. I guess he did not know about the case but it was a very good buy at $1799 with the extra 10VH and 2.5VH barrels which did not come with the original pac. Also someone told me there were problems with the early 715 models but I can't find any other info on that. I was going to buy it but you beat me to the punch. I have one already but a very good deal with the two extra barrels. $1799 is a good deal just for the original three barrel set! 

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
January 22, 2024 - 8:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There were some Blem guns in the rerelease guns.  Usually it's some very minor cosmetic issue, sometimes, there isn't one noticeable mark.  Very few of these guns were sold.  They are marked with a Lamba before the serial number.  I got one just because there aren't many and I like uncommon guns.  

BTW, my blem gun has ZERO visable defects.  If it wernt marked with the Lambda, you'd never know it was a blem.  It shoots just fine.  

My father

My grandfather

capt jack

Dans Club
January 22, 2024 - 1:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the comments….will add a report when i take delivery.
Will probably list the display case on Ebay…i am not big on displaying stuff, except big fish.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3914
January 22, 2024 - 4:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

And then a photo works best with the fish hanging at Arms length in front of you. That's how Hugelk does it. Lol. 

Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 676
January 22, 2024 - 8:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

SCORPIO said
There were some Blem guns in the rerelease guns.  Usually it's some very minor cosmetic issue, sometimes, there isn't one noticeable mark.  Very few of these guns were sold.  They are marked with a Lamba before the serial number.  I got one just because there aren't many and I like uncommon guns.  

BTW, my blem gun has ZERO visable defects.  If it wernt marked with the Lambda, you'd never know it was a blem.  It shoots just fine.  

Who was it that had a Norwich 715 blow apart on them?   There was a DWF post on it in 2018-2020?   Explanation was a bad batch of stainless steel?

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
January 22, 2024 - 9:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did see that.  He posted on the FB group too.  I can't remember his name.

Seemed like an isolated incident.  

Was it Steve Carpenter?

My father

My grandfather

Andrew1220
Members
Forum Posts: 718
January 22, 2024 - 10:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Scout728 said

SCORPIO said

Who was it that has a Norwich 715 blow apart on them?   There was a DWF post on it in 2018-2020?   Explanation was a bad batch of stainless steel?

That would be me! 😂 

https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/revolvers/my-monson-715-barrel-and-frame-split-f/

Stmstan 445
Phoenix, Arizona

DWF Supporters
January 23, 2024 - 2:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm a bit confused. I looked at the original post it says "My Monson MA 715 is completely toast the barrel split which split the frame" So was this an older Monson 715 with a newer CZ replacement barrel that was put into the older Monson 715 and it failed and blew apart the gun or was it a complete newer CZ 715 that failed? Then Dab Wesson sent a new CZ 715 to replace the gun? Just trying to get the facts about the quality of the newer CZ 715's. Was there a date or bad run of the CZ 715's that should be avoided?

Andrew1220
Members
January 23, 2024 - 9:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stmstan 445 said
I'm a bit confused. I looked at the original post it says "My Monson MA 715 is completely toast the barrel split which split the frame" So was this an older Monson 715 with a newer CZ replacement barrel that was put into the older Monson 715 and it failed and blew apart the gun or was it a complete newer CZ 715 that failed? Then Dab Wesson sent a new CZ 715 to replace the gun? Just trying to get the facts about the quality of the newer CZ 715's. Was there a date or bad run of the CZ 715's that should be avoided?

Yes Monson 715 with a newer (2019) CZ 8 inch barrel. Bob from DW admitted there were a bad batch of barrels but thought all had been accounted for…except for mine. So they replaced the frame with a newer Norwich made frame. Bob kept the old cylinder, hammer and trigger and shroud. 
Had I not been thorough in inspecting and documenting the forcing cone erosion, I probably would have been SOL

Stmstan 445
Phoenix, Arizona

DWF Supporters
January 24, 2024 - 4:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So it's safe to say all the CZ 715's are fine no matter which year they were made? I hope so! This sounds like it was just an isolated problem.  

Andrew1220
Members
January 24, 2024 - 9:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stmstan 445 said
So it's safe to say all the CZ 715's are fine no matter which year they were made? I hope so! This sounds like it was just an isolated problem.  

Yeah it may not be widespread but I do know of another person that had severe forcing cone erosion with a newer CZ DW barrel. DW wouldn’t offer to replace his worn barrel (this is after mine split so DW was well aware of the issues)  

Then again I was shooting it a good amount (avid reloader) and so was the other guy. Many people buying the barrel assemblies may shoot a box or 2 a year so it might take them a lifetime to see the erosion issue. 

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1681
February 1, 2024 - 1:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That was a super buy with the 2 extra barrels and the Hogue wood grip.  The 2 extra barrels are about $625 and the grip is another $125.  Can't find a complete pack like that anywhere with a 10" brl. for $1,800.  You paid about market price for it without the extra barrels and grip.  You just made about $750 on the deal. 

capt jack

Dans Club
February 1, 2024 - 1:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

thanks for the info on the grip…wasn’t sure did not think it was DW ….I do like it

Andrew1220
Members
February 2, 2024 - 12:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DakotaJack said
That was a super buy with the 2 extra barrels and the Hogue wood grip.  The 2 extra barrels are about $625 and the grip is another $125.  Can't find a complete pack like that anywhere with a 10" brl. for $1,800.  You paid about market price for it without the extra barrels and grip.  You just made about $750 on the deal. 

Man I wish I could get that lucky 

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1681
February 2, 2024 - 12:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

capt jack said
thanks for the info on the grip…wasn’t sure did not think it was DW ….I do like it

Go on to the Hogue website getgrip.com , select your Dan Wesson Grip design with the wood selection, checkered, 3 finger grooves, and a stripe/cap and you'll see the price of the grip.  It looks like you have Rose Laminate wood - it's $129.95  I bought one in Pau Ferro wood, checkered, 1 finger groove and stripe/cap,  and I love it.  They're nice grips.  If you've got a special gun that looks really nice and want to put something special on it for a grip - these Hogue's will do the job.  If I do it again I'm going with the 3 finger grooves.

I will add though to anyone that purchases a grip, make sure you put it on the gun as soon as you receive it.  The one I bought I let sit for about 6 months and when I went to put it on the gun......it didn't fit no matter how much I tried to force it.  I contacted Hogue, spoke to them, sent photos and they took it back and made me a new one, but not without barking at me for taking so long to return it (and rightfully so).  Save yourself the hassle and don't just assume it fits the gun (like I did), try it when you receive it.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 32
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914
Stinger: 3377