Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Got to test out the new CBOB today.....Well, almost!
frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
Forum Posts: 47
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 25, 2010 - 9:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve CT,

I have to agree with DW fiitting a bit close.

Keith told me that they are now sending out samples of their lube to use on the slides for break-in. Right off the bat he said I must have been using either Rem-Oil, Hoppe's, or CLP. He said those are too light of an oil to use on their tight tolerances. at it was, I did use all three that he mentioned. I first used the CLP when I was cleaning the gun for the first time and added a coat of Rem-Oil on the rails and slide. The second time I used Hoppe's only because it was right next to the box of cleaning supplies. I never did get to fire the pistol after putting on the Hoppe's though. The slide was just too tight to put back on the frame after that.

That is when I finally started leaving messages  on phone and then emailing him. I finally got a response the very next morning via email. More then likely, Keith was already gone for the day when I called them. they do leave at 2:30 in afternoon and back in at 7:30 in the morning.

Keith's email was time stamped at 7:07 AM. so in his defence, I will say he was right on the call for me. But like others here, I am not clear as to why the three products I am using are just not good enough for their pistols. Mybe it is just a break-in thing with them.

If I can learn more from Keith as time goes on, I will be certain to post it here fro everyone. Right now the status is that I am waiting for the FedEx label to get here. I have the pistol all packed up and waiting for the label and I will "stick it-and ship it"

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 27, 2010 - 7:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, my return shipping label came in via USPS. I got it on the box and dropped it off at a FedEx office and it has left Memphis for NY.

Now we see how long it takes Dan Wesson to do the repair, install an ambi safety and get it back to me.

Keith said it would not take long at all to do the work and for me to have it back. I hope he is correct.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11037
February 27, 2010 - 7:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

From what I've read about other people's DW warranty work, the turnaround time is really fast. I'm sure you'll be flingin' brass before you know it.GoodLuck

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 27, 2010 - 7:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope so. Shooting less then ten rounds and losing it is no fun at all!

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
Forum Posts: 870
February 27, 2010 - 9:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I once used CLP on the slide and rails of my Para Ordnance Tac-Four and now have to live with the gulling marks left behind.  I now use heavy lubricants on the slides and rails of all my autos; I typically use Tetra Gun Grease with excellent results.

So for me, if it slides it gets grease, of it rotates it gets oil.

The bores of my target rifles get exceptionally well cleaned and a coat of light oil.  The oil is wiped out before use.  The only "coating" I might put down a bore is a molybdenum coated bullet.

-Wayne

3PPCLined.jpg

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 27, 2010 - 9:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a tube of Outers Gun Grease that I used exclusively on the hinge of my O/U shotgun when I shot skeet. I always felt oil was just too light. I guess I have learned a lesson here as well. Hopefully, Dan Wesson will make it right and I can start all over again.

Keith said he was including a sample of their oil or grease they use. I will know what it is when the pistol  comes back. 

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
February 27, 2010 - 10:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I used to use Outers Gun Grease on shotgun choke tube threads.  Why I never thought to use it on the slide of my Para I'll never know.  The Para was my first SS auto.  Hindsight and all that I guess Embarassed.

-Wayne

3PPCLined.jpg

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
February 27, 2010 - 10:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is interesting, on AR15.com there is a current topic on DW 1911's with very tight bushings on several models. The consensus seems to be to work through the tight fitting, but again, the critical area should be bushing to barrel fit, bushing to slide fitting seems to be secondary.

Wayne, I had a Para Warthog that failed with a cracked frame, but as I think about it, maybe caused by a seized slide, and the stress cracked the alloy frame because the frame gave before the steel slide. Para replaced the frame, but I never trusted it again-it's history. Nothing beats steel, and my primary HD/SD is a good old S&W M59, because, well it's STEEL.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
February 27, 2010 - 11:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

More thread hijack Cool

The Tac-Four is a Commander size all SS with a 13rd double stack mag.  Once I figured out the lube issue, the gun has been very reliable.

My CC is typically an AirWeight/AirLite S&W J-frame.  HD is a FN FiveSeveN W/30rd mag Big Grin 

-Wayne

3PPCLined.jpg

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: DA....64
Guest(s) 46
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300