Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Got to test out the new CBOB today.....Well, almost!
frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
Forum Posts: 47
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 23, 2010 - 4:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got the new CBOB and took it apart and cleaned it up real good and checked function. everything seemed fine.

Set up my target first at 3 yards to do the drill.

Loaded up the magazine and slid it in. chambered first round and it went bang.

Went to fire second round and it would not go bang. I looked at the slide and it failed to fully chamber the second round. I went to pull back on the slide and it felt frozen tight. I removed the magazine and got the half chambered round cleared out. Racked the slide back and forth with ease. Not a hint of problems.

Second round chambered and went bang. third round went bang and once again failure of slide to return to battery.

I had to remove magazine once again and tried to pull the slide back. This time I failed to move it.

I took the pistol into the garage and spread out the gun mat and got out the tools and cleaning supplies. After a few minutes of pressing hard on the slide against the gun mat I was able to bring the slide back enough to disassemble and then forced the slide off of the frame. I examined the slide to frame areas but saw nothing unusual at all. cleaned the rails and relubed. When I tried to assemble the slide back onto the frame, I got all of one inch and it would not go any further. I was not about to force it at this point.

I have a message on machine and an email in to Dan Wesson Warranty Repair Shop.

This was at 2:20 this afternoon. the message said to leave a message and someone would call after 2 PM. The message also said they close at 3:30. It is now 4:13 as I write this and have heard nothing yet.

WHAT A BUMMER THIS IS! Cry

When I picked up the pistol at my dealer, I told him to order an Ed Brown Tactical Ambi safety for me and the local gun smith will put it on.

Now I am not sure if I should cancel that order and just have Dan Wesson people install one at the factory as long as it is going back!

Any thoughts? I need to know what to do real soon if they are going to call me probably tomorrow to have pistol shipped back for repair.

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
February 23, 2010 - 4:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Man what a bummer!!!Frown  I have heard of SS guns galling, but not on the first shot. Who knows, but I am sure Keith will fix you up. As far as the ambi safety goes, talk to The guys at DW, they may do that or may not, and if you have to send it in might as well let them handel it. Just my two cents. Good luck on the repair, more waiting is never fun.

LB

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 23, 2010 - 5:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Talk about hurting inside now, wow. I have been wanting one of these for a little while and thought I got lucky. first shot took me by surprise witht he smooth trigger, but was still very close to the bull. the other couple shots I got off was right on target. When the gun jammed up and slide froze on me, my heart fell out of my chest. Especially after paying the $$ I put out.

I have no doubt that Dan Wesson will take care of it, but that does not help me now.... I want to shoot the pistol, not send it back for repairs!! Mad

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
February 23, 2010 - 5:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Frank:

Sorry to hear about your problem.  That can definitely spoil your day.  Let me offer a piece of advice based on my own experience with DW at Norwich.  Phone them first thing in the morning.  Do not leave messages, just phone back every hour until you get to talk to someone.  It's been my experience that they do not call back.  However, when you talk to them they will be very courteous and responsive.

GoodLuck

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 23, 2010 - 5:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does anyone have a toll free number I can use to call them?

All I have is the 607 area code.

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 23, 2010 - 5:50 pm

Just talked to my dealer on the phone and he tells me he already ordered the ambi safety from Brownells and it shipped today. Looks like I have to have my local gun smith do the ambi job for me. I was just going to let the factory do it, but I will be stuck with an extra ambi safety if I do that!

Would it be possible for Keith to install the ambi safety if I supplied it instead of his stock? It would be the same Ed Brown safety.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
February 23, 2010 - 10:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A couple things on this:

1) DW's have a little reputation for being so tightly fitted that this problem occurrs sometimes, they always fix it and they have a great Customer Service reputation.

2) I'd hold off on any modifications until you get it back and shoot it enough to establish it's reliability.

3) I think you said this hould be a Carry gun. Everyone has their own opinion on this, but until I get at least 500 failure free rounds through a gun, the only place it ever gets carried is back and forth to the range in my shooting bag. The time and place to work out any function/reliability problems is not on a dark night when the chips are down.

Tough to have this happen right away, but if you go on Kimber/Para Ord/etc. forums, you see the same stories sometimes. Just happens

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 23, 2010 - 10:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve CT,

I agree with you on the concealed carry. I did not plan on using it until I am completely satisfied with it's reliability. I carry a S&W 442 C/T for now. It has been proven with many rounds through it. I plan on doing the same with the Bobtail. I shoot all my handguns at least once a week out in the back. It could be 20 rounds, or 50. I try to make sure I get at least a couple loads in it a week. It helps me stay sharp on draw and reaction time. Besides, I have nothing else to do all week long except sit on the computer. Broken Computer

As far as modifications go, I am left handed and still need the safety on the right side if I carry it or it stays in the night stand. This is a mod that is a necessary thing for me.

I am quite confident that DW will get my problems squared away.

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 24, 2010 - 12:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got in touch with Keith at Dan Wesson. He is sending me the label for shipment. I will have him install the ambidextrous safety while he has it there.

Keith says I either used Hoppe's, Rem Oil or CLP on the slide and they are not thick enough to handle the tight tolerances that they have for their guns.

As it was, I did use all three of the lubes mentioned by Keith. He said I should have used the sample they sent with the gun, but I had to tell him there was no lube that came with my gun. He said I must have received one of the first guns in that shipment that did not have the sample in there and he would send off the sample to me.

He also recomended to use the FP-10.

I now sit and wait for my return shipping label! WOW

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
February 24, 2010 - 1:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

frankb said:

He also recomended to use the FP-10.

What's that?

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 24, 2010 - 1:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Firepower FP-1O Lubricant Elite TM is a petrochemical product specifically designed and formulated with the serious shootist, sportsman and professional armorer in mind. No other product can match the performance and unique qualities of  FP-10.

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
February 24, 2010 - 1:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is more that I copied and pasted on the FP-10

FP-10 contains Muscle MT-10 Metal Treatment TM to smooth and seal metal surfaces with no danger of build up or changes in tolerance. FP-10 causes an electrochemical reaction to take place upon the metal surfaces developing a cation* exchange of positive and negative ions. Metals are made up of metallic carbides (high surface areas of positive charge) and base metals (low surface areas of negative charge). When FP-10 is applied to a system, such as the moving parts or slide of an auto, there is a cation exchange of ions which fills up the low surface areas of the metal and alters the surface to create a totally positive state of polarity. When the metal surface polarity becomes uniform in charge, there is a reduction in friction due to the Faraday reaction of like charges. Likewise, in the case of FP-10, a similar reaction takes place within the bore as the treated static metals of the rifled lands assist in ballistic movement of the bullet due to reduced frictional coefficients. This causes a more even build of pressure during ignition due to the fact that the bullet sees less frictional resistance from the lands, causing an improved accuracy expressed in better average velocities, extreme spreads, standard deviations and bullet groupings.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
February 24, 2010 - 2:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the info, Frank.  That stuff sounds a bit like the slippery caracteristics of the "MOA" additive that I used to sell when I was in the auto parts bidness.Laugh Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
February 24, 2010 - 4:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmmmmm.  This stuff is beginning to sound a little like snake oil to me. rofl

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
February 24, 2010 - 4:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

zoommb said:

-Mike

"Guaranteed to reduce your group size to quarter MOA in any firearm"  laughing

SHOOT

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
February 24, 2010 - 4:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SHOOTIST357 said:

zoommb said:

-Mike

SHOOT

" Guaranteed to produce the tightest one shot group ever"rofl

LB

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

Blacktop
OHIO
Members
Forum Posts: 3004
February 24, 2010 - 9:16 pm

SHOOTIST357 said:

zoommb said:

-Mike

SHOOT

The answer to all my trouble's

I'm ordering a case of it right now ! Big Grin

+DW.jpg

Steve

Dans Club
February 24, 2010 - 9:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So if you dunk your gun in it and let it marinate overnight, will it put all of them through the same hole?

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
February 25, 2010 - 8:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gee, and here I only thought it was good for engine & tranny innards.Laugh

Steve

Dans Club
February 25, 2010 - 9:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just out of curiosity, if there are lubricants that you should not use with a handgun, does the owners manual tell you not to?. All 3 of those items are pretty major brand names, I use CLP exclusively. Also, and I hope other 1911 guys will jump in on this, is there a need to fit slide and frame so closely? I think that from an accuracy standpoint, bushing and barrel fit to slide are more important. This slide/frame lockup is something you see mentioned about DW's (and others), I think if the fit is tight enough to not rattle or have a lot of visible play, especially in what is designed to be a fighting handgun, that should about right. Are they maybe fitting too tightly?

George Carlin

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 72
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911