Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Tell me about the .357 Super Mag
Coogs
NW Pa.
Members
Forum Posts: 141
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 9, 2015 - 9:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So some of you may already know, well, maybe know now that I am into the Ruger Maximum. I have been researching it for years, documenting serial numbers and talking to any one I can that has written or has knowledge about it. I don't believe I can complete the story unless I get as much info as I can about the Dan Wesson. So..................................

What year did Dan Wesson come out with the .357 Super Mag?

Was the first Model shipped the 40?

what was the configuration of those first shipped, barrel length, etc.?

I don't want to get into the discussion of the difference between the Super Mag and the Max here, so if you don't mind.........

The first Dan Wessons were marked Super Mag, Did they change the markings to .357 Maximum?

Or, did they add the .357 Maximum, keeping both?

Any ideas on production numbers? Blued? Stainless?

Still in production? If not, when did it stop?

OK, just a start, when I get some answers, I'm sure I'll have more questions, Coogs.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3909
June 9, 2015 - 6:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I will start with some info. I am sure those that know more will be along. What year I don't know but it was right around when the Ruger was released. I think it was a few months before actually. I do believe the blue gun, the model 40 came out before Dan Wesson started making stainless guns. The stainless version , the 740, would have come out after the introduction of the 715. Configuration is unknown as records have disappeared and a frame can wear any shroud. After the discovery of the top strap and erosion of the forcing cone problem, Dan Wesson would include two barrel tubes with the gun. The gun is called a Supermag and is chambered to accept the DW 357 Supermag and also fires the 357 Maximum. They put 357 Maximum on the roll mark on the shroud , hence the confusion. Production numbers are a mystery as the BATF will not release the info. Production continued until CZ stopped making them in the mid 2000's. Maybe around 2006.

Coogs
NW Pa.
Members
June 21, 2015 - 1:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11037
June 27, 2015 - 12:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What year did Dan Wesson come out with the .357 Super Mag?
August 1983, according to a copy of "The Silhouette" from that month.

https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/dan-wesson-history/dw-357-supermag-deliveries/

Was the first Model shipped the 40?

Yes.

what was the configuration of those first shipped, barrel length, etc.?

They first shipped with 8" barrel assemblies, including a spare barrel.

Still in production? If not, when did it stop?
Not in production. I'm not sure when they stopped exactly...sometime in the early 2000's.

Hope that helps.smile

Coogs
NW Pa.
Members
June 28, 2015 - 7:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Chargerfan, thanks! Trying to pin down a time line of the developement of the Super mag and Maximum, lots of stones to turn over yet, thanks again, Coogs.

Dan in MI
Members
Forum Posts: 15
September 2, 2015 - 9:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Super/Maximum was designed by Elgin Gates and he called it SuperMag. When R-P and Ruger collaborated to make the commercial version they named it .357 Maximum.

Lots of history in The Silhouette magazine/newspaper of the time. Most of which was also reprinted in the book "Shooting Steel."

Coogs
NW Pa.
Members
September 4, 2015 - 7:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dan, thanks. Actually just got a copy of "Shooting Steel" recently. Very well aware of the Rem/Ruger collaboration as well as Elgin's Super Mag. I'm trying to determine exactly who came out with which one first. I know it will be/is a big controversy, but there are way too many different stories floating around. In "shooting steel" there is a copy of Elgin's drawing for the Super mag, I think dated from the early to mid 70's. There again, I have 1st hand info from the Rem/Ruger camp that they were first. I'm trying to gather up as much documented info as I can before I start to point fingers. Some day I hope to be able to converse with one of Elgin's sons, Bill Ruger Jr., and Eric Wesson or his father. I've been in contact with one of the former owners of US Arms/Seville at the time of the production of the Max/Supermag cartridge. Looking to eventually pin down someone from Remington and Federal also. It's a lot of research but in the end I think it will be well worth it. Some day I would like to publish it all. I've been into the Ruger Max since shortly after they came out. Actually own about 50 of them, as well as a factory prototype and a well documented Seville that was used by Ruger as a test gun. Some day.......................some day. Coogs.

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1919
Dan in MI
Members
Forum Posts: 15
September 5, 2015 - 7:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Dang Jack,

I just ordered a copy of Shooting Steel for you.

Now I gotta find a home for it.

There may  info in the original book on silhouette. DON'T buy it. I have two.

You really need to talk to David Bradshaw. I know he started posting on the RF for a while and then dropped off.

Coogs
NW Pa.
Members
September 7, 2015 - 9:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dan, been talking to David for a couple years now.I thought I posted up here that I found one. I think Contender on RF is still looking for a copy.There IS a lot of info/articles in shooting steel on the Max and the Super mag. Still looking to fill in a few holes of the story. Thanks again, Jack.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11037
September 10, 2015 - 10:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Guys, make sure you find the brother to Shooting Steel, to round out your library...laugh

Image Enlarger

A scan I took of the cover (note the price!)

Image Enlarger

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: jertex
Guest(s) 37
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3909