Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Request Info on DW 357 Slabside
duff645
Members
Forum Posts: 51
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 15, 2010 - 11:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Howdy...I just found this site and I am really excited by it...thanks for posting lots of info on Dan Wesson handguns.

Many years ago, I picked up this unique Dan Wesson .357 Mag with slabside 6" barrel and a Bo-mar Centerhold sight. 

Its a duzzie of a heavy gun - great for plinking.  I just had it serviced/cleaned by a local gunsmith and I was trying to find more info on it.  I was hoping that you guys/gals might have some answers.

What I would like to know are:

1.  Frame size:  I want to replace the original grip with a Houge grip, but I do not know the frame size.  Its it small/large or has a similar build to a S&W Frame?  The frame has a square tang on the end of it (when I removed the grip).  If a Houge grip is not available for this model - can you recommend one?  I would not want to damage the fine artwork...maybe I can get another wooden grip with the DW logo on it.

2.  Other barrels available?  I have seen multi-barrel sets at several gun shows, in stainless steel and as long as 8", but has anyone seen other barrel sizes for this gun?  I know that I might have to remove the bo-mar sights

3.  Accessories?  I am looking for a soft case with a DW logo on it.  Also - should I be stupid to ask if anyone has a leather holster system for this?

4.  Extractor:  lately, I am having problems getting the casings to eject properly...where can I get a new extractor?  From CZ-USA?

I'll probably have more questions for this awesome forum members to ponder on.  Thanks ahead of time...

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
November 15, 2010 - 1:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Wow, interesting gun.  It almost looks like a PPC barrel with the bottom piece missing, except I think all of the PPC's were stainless. Are there threaded holes in the bottom of the shroud?

Q's answered.

1. Yours is a small frame.  Yes, Hogue still makes grips for Dan's.  They are beautiful but very expensive: http://www.getgrip.com.  However, you might want to consider a custom grip from our very own LB.  His grips are stunning and less expensive than Hogue's by a long shot: http://www.lbcustomgrips.com  see right hand column for ad.

2. Dan Wesson 357's had barrels available in the following lengths 2.5, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 inches.  The 2.5 through 10-inch are still available through DW in Norwich; call Priscilla Jones at 607.336.1174 x21.  Barrel assemblies are also available on gunbroker.  Also, our very own Eric http://www.ewkarms.com will be making barrel assemblies soon; see right hand column for ad.

3. There is a soft case currently listed on gunbroker, I believe.

4. Extractor would also be a call to Priscilla.

Welcome to the DWF.

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
November 15, 2010 - 1:39 pm

Welcome to the DWF site!

Welcome

Firstly, thats one heck of an interesting looking DW. By the picture it very much appears to be a 15-2 aka the small frame. Houge makes rubber grips for it, they can be found easy enough on ebay and gunbroker(aka GB). Swapping between it and the grip is just one screw, very easy/quick process.  BTW I strongly suspect the grip you have is in fact a Houge already, and a nice one at that.

As a 15-2, the barrel/shroud should be interchangable as any 15-2 (unless it is a fixed barrel, which is not common). However, I am uncertain about how that top rail is attached so I am not sure if it is as simple it would be with a standard 15-2. Do you have the barrel removal tool and feeler gauge? if you can remove the barrel, then you can replace it.  BA's can be bought from gunbroker, from CZ, or from our own custom barrel maker EWK ( see link to the right).

Of course… if you just want to carry your gun, I would be glad to trade you a 2" BA and a houge grip for that niffy slab you got ( hehehehe, ok it was worth a shot)

Softcase – rather rare and stupidly expensive.. one was on GB for $125… of course there are no new ones

Extractor: hmm never had that program with proper ammo. I have had reloads that bulged and did that. A good cleaning and oiling the shaft might fix that.

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
November 15, 2010 - 2:24 pm

Welcometo the DWF Sign. The others answered most of your questions. However I will add and ask of the rest of the gang. This does look like a PPC model with the counterweight removed. I believe that is called an aristocrat sight. I believe I recall seeing a blue version. There are pictures of an PPC somewhere here in DWF land. Either way it's really cool and I am looking forward to hearing more about it as well.

LB

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

mox-ct
Salem, CT
Members
Forum Posts: 969
November 15, 2010 - 3:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like what I see, but can we see more pics????  It's an interesting piece.

Happyness is a Hot DW and a pile of used brass!!! Rich

duff645
Members
November 15, 2010 - 3:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys!!

I will attempt to get more pics, specially of the PPC barrel.  If memory serves me correctly, for some reason when it was blue'd, a logo was etched in the barrel, but the blue-ing process caused it to go blurry...it might have said Dan Wesson Arms...but more pics to follow. 

I did see the PPC barrels pics on this site.  Similar yes, but like some of you stated, mine is blue'd and it does not extend pass the ejector rod (a pic will  better explain this).

I forgot to mention that I did see the Monson, MA and Dan Wesson Arms stamped on the frame too...that makes it 70-80s??  Nice to have a masterpiece as old as me!  I know its a small frame, but does anyone know what model number this may have been? 

Maybe I will search for another DW mag with a 8" - 4" barrel set.  I saw one at a local gun show in SS, but I would prefer the blue'd mode just in case I'm gonna hunt wabbits.

Thanks amundo guys......

duff645
Members
Blacktop
OHIO
Members
Forum Posts: 3004
November 15, 2010 - 9:48 pm

Is there are barrel nut in there ? ? ?  Your grips pretty cool...wanna sell it ?

-Blacktop

+DW.jpg

duff645
Members
November 15, 2010 - 10:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blacktop -

Based on some of the pics I have noticed on this site...it appears that this is not a barrel that is interchangeable.  Thus - no barrel nut.  The more I think about it - you will need to remove the bo-mar sight so that you can have access to the 6" barrel.

Remember, I had no info on this gun, prior for me joining this site!  It just shoots beautifully and I wanted you guys appreciate this unique masterpiece.

With regards to the grips....I know nothing about it as well.  So I really don't know what value to place on it.  In fact, I want to remove it and replace it with a lesser value grip (like a Hogue rubber grip).  That way, if I ever decide to get rid of the gun, I would make sure that this grip is on it. 

Since I now know that it is a small frame, it makes easier to buy another grip.  Not to say that those LB grip are lesser value, but I think that their thumb-rest grip would be the bomb on this pistol.

Thanks for the request for my grips.

Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
November 15, 2010 - 11:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Definitely an interesting gun.  That muzzle looks strange. I would like a closer look. It looks almost rough around the barrel.. really I can't tell what I am seeing. From what you said, do you think that removing the sight either from above or below that the muzzle end would be affect.. ie the barrel nut un-covered?

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
November 16, 2010 - 12:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

To me, that looks like a custom barrel. I have seen similar barrels on S&W and an occasional Ruger. I found this pic just now & the info with it says that it was built by Jim Strahan, for PPC shooting.

Image Enlarger

Yours is the first DW I've seen with a barrel like that, I like it!Laugh

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
November 16, 2010 - 12:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's another custom S&W barrel similar to yours, made by Clark Custom.

Image Enlarger

duff645
Members
November 16, 2010 - 7:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The first pic by Chargerfan is very similar to mine.  Most likely, this is a custom DW used for PPC leagues. 

There are a couple of PPC leagues in my area, but not knowing any info on this pistol (and forgeting which gun show I purchased it from 10 years ago), it will be very difficult to find specific info on this gun.....all I know that it is fun to shoot!

I bought it because of its uniqueness and the heavy barrel would be great for outdoor shooting - maybe even some hunting (with a stick). 

Thanks for the overwhelming feedback. 

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
November 18, 2010 - 10:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is just like the old "Smolts"... Colt gun with a S&W barrel or vice versa.  That looks like an aristocrat sight rail.

SHOOT

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
November 19, 2010 - 7:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

To me it looks as if the nut was filled, I would explore it some what and see if it hasn't been turned down or filled in.  Nice looking Dan. 

DSCN1339.jpg

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
November 19, 2010 - 8:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SHOOTIST357 said;

...the old "Smolts"... Colt gun with a S&W barrel or vice versa. 

Ahhh, the Smolts. These two sure made me scratch my head for a minute.Screwy lol2

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Rod0990
Members
Forum Posts: 95
November 20, 2010 - 4:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Real nice gun there, makes me wish I had a PPC shroud for my .357 715 ....

*Patiently waiting....

Sincerely,

Rod

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" – George Washington

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: DakotaJack, KurtB, Different Drummer, Stmstan 445, racepres
Guest(s) 43
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3940
Stinger: 3388