Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Problem With .357 (New to Revolvers & Dan Wesson)
nyram
New York
Members
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 4, 2011 - 11:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello,

I would like to say Hello to everyone Here. I am new to revolvers and Dan Wesson. I have always shot rifle and semi auto pistol. I just picked up a used DW 15-2 HV in stainless. 6" Barrel.

Went to range last night with it. It fires fine when using single action. However when using double action it looks like it is light striking about 2 out of 6 times.

If i then go back to those rounds that failed to fire and try to fire them using single action they will actually fire without a problem.

I removed the cover at the range last night to do a quick visual inspection. The gun is very clean and there was no buildup or crud that i could see. could it just be weak springs causing the issue?? I tried a variety of ammo from different manufacturers and also 38 special and 357. Problem occured with all variations of ammo.

I also noticed that the firing pin is a little shorter than that on my friends revolver. not a huge difference but noticeable by just looking at it. Could the firing pin be worn??

All strikes were in the center.

Just looking for some recommendations or some guidance. I was wondering if i should order the small parts kit and swap everything out. Also does anyone know where i can see that step by step tutorial for tuning of the firearm. the link i saw on other pages just brought me back to the main forum page.

thanks in advance for any help.

Greg

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
March 4, 2011 - 11:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

welcometo thedwf-sign. A good cleaning and lube job usually does the trick. So that is the place to start, after that you can probe deeper. Here is the thread you are looking for.

https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/reloading/tuning-up-your-15-2-the-average-joe-method

LB

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

nyram
New York
Members
March 4, 2011 - 12:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It was lubed an clean before i went last night. I just ordered new springs and a firing pin from dan wesson as next step. Is this a good place to start? Also what is involved with replacing the firing pin. What would cause it to strike light only during double action?? Is that most likely a spring issue????

Thank you

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
March 4, 2011 - 2:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Could be a weak spring or crud behind the firing pin. Sometimes a grip screw that has been run in too far gives grief with single action, not sure if it could affect double action but it doesn't hurt to check. To remove the FP you need to first remove the transfer bar ( refer to average Joe tune up) and then simply drive out the roll pin. If I missed something somebody will pick up my slack.

LB

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

nyram
New York
Members
March 4, 2011 - 2:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

thanks for the info. i did loosen up the grip screw last night as well and that didn't seem to make a difference.

thanks for the info. I guess i will wait for the springs and the firing pin to arrive and then install them and hopefully i should be as good as new. how far should the firing pin stick out??

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
March 4, 2011 - 8:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you are getting a consistent ignition in single action, then your firing pin is clearly long enough. Although this sounds like weak springs, it may also be a lot of crud in the firing pin channel, as LB suggested. All things being equal, I think you will almost always get a stronger firing pin strike in SA than DA, and extra gunk slowing down the firing pin may be the difference.

In the meantime, try the "pencil test". Cylinder open, pointing straight up, drop a pencil down the barrel, allowing it to rest on the firing pin. Cock to single action, pull the trigger, and observe how far the firing pin bounces the pencil straight up. Repeat in double action and check for a significant difference. A few cycles of firing each way should show a trend.

Light DA strikes in a DW are most frequently a spring/cleaning issue

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

robhof
Ky
Members
Forum Posts: 281
March 4, 2011 - 8:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Had the exact problem when I put Wolf springs on my 15-2.  I put the DW hammer spring back in and kept the Wolf trigger spring, got a lighter trigger pull, but not as light as with all Wolf springsmini-gun, but consistant ignition with all ammo.

nyram
New York
Members
March 5, 2011 - 4:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i did the pencil test as you said. i took a brand new full size pencil and tried it. the pencil jumps out of the barrel about 3/4 to 1 inch. It is a 6 inch barrel. Is this normal or should it be moving way more than that??

nyram
New York
Members
March 5, 2011 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Actually the pencil only jumped about a half inch. And it was recessed a half inch in the 6 inch barrel.

DrSparky
Aroostook County, ME
Members
Forum Posts: 315
March 5, 2011 - 7:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds weak, now you have a test point to see if your spring work and cleaning has an effect.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
March 5, 2011 - 8:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was there a difference between single action and double action?

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

nyram
New York
Members
March 5, 2011 - 9:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There was not a difference that i could see between single and double action.

Blacktop
OHIO
Members
Forum Posts: 3004
March 5, 2011 - 11:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Check and see if main spring seat has loosened or backed out.

Part # 49 on this diagram :

http://stevespages.com/ipb-dwesson-w142152.html

-Blacktop

+DW.jpg

nyram
New York
Members
March 6, 2011 - 7:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Doesnt look like main spring seat backed out. Only a few threads are shpwing fro
Bottom of the tang.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 21
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3933