Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Ported barrels for 715s?
Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3879
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 11, 2019 - 9:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Forget about porting a 357. The Power Port system was marginal at best. A compensated shroud is the best way and next I recommend the EWK compensator. A fixed barrel 357 CAN be magna ported though. 

Scott_B
Members
Forum Posts: 117
July 11, 2019 - 10:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great info, Gents. Thanks a ton.

I haven't reached out to Mag-na-port yet but intend to when I have the time. After watching a few demo videos, including an excellent one made by Jerry Miculek, there's no question that the Mag-na-port system works to reduce recoil. That said, I'm not really adverse to the recoil of .357s or .44s but I do, for whatever reason, really like the look of ported barrels. I may just wait and get my hands on a DW 44, which I've wanted to do for a while now, and not have my 15s ported. I do have a S&W 629 with a 3" barrel that I might have the Mag-na-port treatment done on though. That firearm certainly has a little bite to it. The basic Mag-na-port conversion only cost about $100.

Anyway, lots to think about. I'm gonna look for some pictures that (hopefully) compare the DW compensated BAs with the ported BAs. I'm fascinated by this stuff! Thanks again for the information.

Scott_B
Members
July 11, 2019 - 10:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I guess we were posting at the same time, Ole Dog. I'm hunting down some pictures of the compensated shroud. This isn't just something added to the end of a shroud like the EWK compensator, is it? Although, I think I'm going to try one of those EWKs just for kicks....

Scott_B
Members
July 11, 2019 - 11:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay, found the article on shroud types in the archives. I wasn't familiar with the compensated shrouds but, yeah, I can see why those would be easier to deal with than the ported shrouds. I've been coming across some horror stories regarding the Power Port system. From the sounds of it though, most of those situations could probably have been avoided with proper firearm maintenance.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 31
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3879
Stinger: 3359