Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Palmer stainless 445
dogtrialerguy
Members
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 19, 2010 - 3:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Proud To Be An AmericanO K I finally bought a 445 did I get ripped because its a Palmer its stainless 8 inch unfired bought it for $900.00 box tools and booklet all my others are made in Monson or Norwich give me your honest opinion thanks

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
April 19, 2010 - 4:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey dog...

Let's see some Cool Pics of that bad boy.  At some point the general opinion was that Palmer guns were inferior from a QC standpoint.  It is my understanding that a lot of them were returned to the factory when fresh out of the box for QC reasons.  It has also been said that due to DW's exemplary service all of the issues were resolved.

If your 445 is NIB, then you may experience some issues if you intend to shoot it.  However, DW service is still outstanding and I'm quite sure they will rectify any issues.  If you don't plan to shoot it then all of this is moot, but we still require pics.Smile

Personally, the only Palmer guns I have are both Li'l Dans and the QC seems fine.  I have discovered, however, that Norwich guns seem to have better fit and finish than my beloved Monson guns do.

Shoot it with your camera and then shoot it.

Big Grin

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 19, 2010 - 8:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You hear a lot of talk about Palmer quality, I don't think anyone here has actually documented one

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3244
April 19, 2010 - 8:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a few Palmer guns and my brother in law with some influence of mine just bought a Palmer 744 and none of ours have any issues either.

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

jaggman
Emmaus, PA
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1358
April 19, 2010 - 8:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like, AND shoot my Palmers.  It goes without saying I like all my Dans.  DWF Sign

6point8
northeast pa
Members
Forum Posts: 157
April 19, 2010 - 11:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like my palmer 8" stainless 445.  it shoots great.

QC is slightly off though.

-cylinder has 2 holes that gap tighter than the other four at forcing cone.

-rear sight is adjusted wayyy left and almost bottomed to zero.

-screw hole for rear sight assembly is drilled off center in channel in topstrap, when sight is in a higher setting the rear sight cants.

-some of the radius's machined are not symetrical.

The QC on my buddies monsoon 44 is alot better.  I also have 2 S&W revolvers one has better fit and finnish and one is alot worse.

I'm not complaining, adds character.  just like i like my harleys with a carb....adds a personality to machinery.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

"experience is the hardest teacher, the test comes before the lesson"

superdan
Eau Claire, WI
Members
Forum Posts: 348
April 19, 2010 - 11:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I have a Palmer 722 (VH4) the gun shoots awesome, it is finished pretty good (on par with the Palmer/Monson guns) however the chambers are a little rough, which wouldn't be a problem except the gun extracts really hard (after a day of plinkin my hand definitely knows that I've been shooting that gun). The other issue I have with it is that when I got it I noticed the sideplate was sitting out of the frame a little and the action felt really rough, well after taking the sideplate off and doing some polishing and touching up the action was pronounced "good enough", figuring it would "wear in" a little better. I always take every thing apart, polish the frame and everything else gets polished and greased  as I put it back in the frame, so obviously the last thing to be polished is the sideplate. When I grabbed it, it was laying with the outside up I promptly felt something prick my finger and saw a quite large burr on the hole bored into the sideplate for the hammer pin, well actually it was bigger than just a normal burr more like a good sized chip that was still attached. After removing the burr and polishing, the sideplate now sat flush, and the gun wouldn't let the hammer cock all the way back, skip a little bit of investigating, the hand needed to be refit or fit properly (depends on how you look at it). The sideplate not being seated into the frame had let the hand be pushed over into the sideplate, which was raised up because of the burr which was rubbing on the hammer which was causing the crappy feeling action and now that the sideplate was sitting where it was supposed to the hand was too wide to properly carry the cylinder up. Overall the gun was a good deal and I don't mind fitting hands (it's actually quite easy and it let's me control how tight it locks up) however I feel that it is not something that I should have had to do, but it still shoots really nice and looks good, and the action is acceptable now ( I have not tackled cleaning up the chambers yet but I will) I do know a couple other people that have Palmer guns with no issues, I personally think it is just that Palmer let a couple guns (my 22 for instance) out the door and got a bad reputation that has haunted those guns ever since, I wouldn't be scared to buy another.

here she is: 

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
April 20, 2010 - 12:12 am

I've got three Palmer guns so far & have had zero issues with any of them. My 15/715 fixed barrel pair & the Lil' Dan.

Lil' Dan doesn't fit together quite as nicely as the FB pair, but I still wouldn't kick him outta the collection.Laugh

superdan
Eau Claire, WI
Members
Forum Posts: 348
April 20, 2010 - 12:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan said:

Lil' Dan doesn't fit together quite as nicely as the FB pair, but I still wouldn't kick him outta the collection.Laugh

If you decide to kick the Lil fella out, I just want to let him know I have a nice warm spot for himWink.

Sorry about getting a little long whinded in my post above

dogtrialerguy
Members
Forum Posts: 21
April 20, 2010 - 8:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Proud To Be An AmericanThanks alot guys I feel a little better now since I read your feeds I have looked over the gun everythings  fit real well it has one of the better triggers stock than what I have ever had now all I have to do is shoot it I got some 303 british brass and cut them down to length what a pain I will let you all know how it shoots

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
April 20, 2010 - 3:28 pm

dogtrialerguy said:

Proud To Be An Americannow all I have to do is shoot it I got some 303 british brass and cut them down to length what a pain I will let you all know how it shoots

Or you could buy 445 brass from Starline or SMF, whoever has the most.

Big Grin

Actually, I may have the most, at least I have more than Starline does.  PM me with an offer for 100.

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: snake-eye, stonebuster, tlawler
Guest(s) 36
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300