Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
New Dan Wesson revolvers for 2010
warnerwh
Portland, Oregon
Members
Forum Posts: 121
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 1, 2009 - 9:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was reading this thread at THR: 

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=465623

People are stating as fact new revolvers are coming out. Can anybody confirm this?

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
August 2, 2009 - 6:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This rumor popped up here a couple weeks ago, from the same source. Nobody seems to know for sure, many of us are hopeful. A big part of the equation for me would be pricing, as well as the design of a new DW revolver.

If it is an exact copy, CZ may lose the opportunity to improve on the original design, either in functional improvements or manufacturing process.

If it is not an exact copy, but new technology, does that mean a lessening in support for the original design?

If a new DW Model 15 came on the market at say $800, should I buy that or an original Model 15 at half that cost.

Just gotta wait and see, I guess

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Jimbob2.0
Members
Forum Posts: 166
August 2, 2009 - 10:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would think this is a huge opportunity for CZ to capitalize on a namesake they are rapidly loosing with their 1911 line.  Branding is everything and Revolvers are Dan Wesson.

That said this is a golden opportunity to use the wesson platform to modernize the original design and issue a series of very competitive revolvers integrating better triggers, more barrel configurations.  Or even better yet expanding the Dan Wesson line to allow rapid caliber changes by changing cylcinders and barrel combinations. (People love these conversions).  

Pricing will be a challenge however as unless they keep something unique they will be competing in the same market space as bargain basement, Tauruses and other makes that will likely be considerably cheaper (e.g., I am not sure another line of $1400 CZ revolvers will fly in the modern market). 

To overcome this they are going to have to introduce a portfolio ranging from relatively entry level guns to hook young/first time buyers in the $500 range up to custom pistol packs, supermags etc. 

My Dan's

15VH pistol pack
715 plus two barrels
44 pistol pack in transit

Steve

Dans Club
August 2, 2009 - 12:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caliber conversion would be great and a tremendous selling point, but there is always the nightmare of one idiot mismatching a barrel/cylinder combination with pretty unpleasant results.

We polled this once:

https://www.danwessonforum.com/?page_id=3/polls/what-would-you-pay-for-a-new-dan-wesson-similar-to-the-715vh6

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Jimbob2.0
Members
Forum Posts: 166
August 2, 2009 - 2:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You have a point there, I had thought about that.  However, unless they are making a mass market revolver at a higher quality but comparable price point to whats on the market they are going to have to come up with some gimic.

Pistol packs are part of the equation but last time they offered them they were an extremely premium item.

Now if they can couple it with some hot new cartridge (note this is a high risk strategy, look what happened to the .480 ruger)

My Dan's

15VH pistol pack
715 plus two barrels
44 pistol pack in transit

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3243
August 2, 2009 - 6:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do not think one more new cartridge would be the ticket.  I think they will need to re-invent the barrel interchangeability to a new generation of shooters and figure out how to market to them  we are the die-hard followers, they do not have to market to the likes of us.  that is where the genious will have to kick in on their part.  get it right and they are off and running, get it wrong, lots of money spent and the line crashes.

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

jaggman
Emmaus, PA
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1358
August 2, 2009 - 7:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree with SMF about not introducing a new caliber. If they did they could also produce ammo for it and sell it to the owners at a reasonable price as they would have a captured market, or at least sell the brass reasonably and arrange with RCBS or someone to produce dies or offer dies with the gun.  

The interchangeable caliber idea is interesting. It kind of goes hand in hand with todays barrel setup. I would think owners who purchase this option would be judicious about not mixing up the cylinder / barrels.  I wonder if they could engineer the present strong design holding the cylinder in place with an interchangeable design. Maybe a quick release crane? Anything is possible.  We'll see.Range Time

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
August 2, 2009 - 8:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

jaggman said:

I agree with SMF about not introducing a new caliber. If they did they could also produce ammo for it and sell it to the owners at a reasonable price as they would have a captured market, or at least sell the brass reasonably and arrange with RCBS or someone to produce dies or offer dies with the gun.  

The interchangeable caliber idea is interesting. It kind of goes hand in hand with todays barrel setup. I would think owners who purchase this option would be judicious about not mixing up the cylinder / barrels.  I wonder if they could engineer the present strong design holding the cylinder in place with an interchangeable design. Maybe a quick release crane? Anything is possible.  We'll see.Range Time

Sounds like an easy upgrade for my W-12... crane slips right out of the porkchop models.  Maybe .357 / 32 H&R mag Drool

SHOOT

Steve

Dans Club
August 2, 2009 - 8:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caliber conversion works in autoloaders because the chamber and barrel are a single unit, no chance for mistake. The liability involved for a maufacturer that designs a weapon that can chamber and shoot the incorrect round for the barrel would be enormous. It wasn't by mistake that DW .22 and .357 barrels have different threads, just so you can't install the wrong barrel.

On caliber conversion autoloaders there are instances of shooters charging a magazine with incorrect ammunition, or loading an incorrect magazine into the pistol.

This one may a dream that never happens.

George Carlin

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
August 2, 2009 - 8:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Single action manufacturers like Ruger for example, limit their "convertible" cylinders to a round that will use the same barrel...357 & 9mm, for example. If DW did that, and made it so you can't screw something like a .32 barrel into a .357 frame, they'd have it licked.Smile

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
August 2, 2009 - 8:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan said:

Single action manufacturers like Ruger for example, limit their “convertible” cylinders to a round that will use the same barrel…357 & 9mm, for example. If DW did that, and made it so you can't screw something like a .32 barrel into a .357 frame, they'd have it licked.Smile

Funny guy...Laugh  I like my 32 H&R mag / 357 idea !!!  come on how bad would it be to slam a .357 bullet into a .32 barrel shooting

SHOOT

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
August 2, 2009 - 8:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Man, I must have really typed my reply SLOW! Jaggman was the last post before I started my reply.Broken Computer

Anyway, I'm not sure I want to be standing in too close proximity when a .357 gets slammed into a .32 barrel. 😛

NVGdude
Arizona
Members
Forum Posts: 103
August 2, 2009 - 8:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I always said DW really screwed up by discontinuing the 38P/738P right when all the states started passing shall issue CCW laws.

Bringing back a DW stlye 5-shot snub would be a sure winner in todays environment. Or dare we dream, even a lightweight version.

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
August 3, 2009 - 7:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It would be very cool if they did reintroduce revolvers. 

I certainly haven't gotten the feeling this is true when speaking with the folks at DW when ordering parts.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Tigger
Wester New York
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 363
August 3, 2009 - 10:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have visited with the folks at Norwich and it does not look good for the DW revolver line to be brought back anytime soon.

Don't worry guys when I win the lottery I'll produce a revolver similar to the DW with all the upgrades, bells and whistles.Range TimeCool

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
~Thomas Jefferson~

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 33
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914