Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
My new 357 15-2V 6"
HPMike800
Phoenix, AZ
Members
Forum Posts: 88
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 18, 2010 - 2:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm new and thought I would post about a gem of a find.

Many years ago, I wanted a 357 but ended up with a 10mm and just never got a revolver. A good buddy is into Dan Wessons and was talking them up and convinced me to get one if I ever get a revolver. His are all big guns for pistol steel animal shooting. I figured "jeez" if I ever get something that big I guess it will be a 44, since I did not think about a small frame for some reason.

A local guy put's up a "excellent condition" 357 high rib 6" and I think nice but times are hard and I'm looking for a 44 now. He does a couple of hundred off today only number to pay for some heavy roof work being done. Hmmm, I can't walk away from this says I and off I go to pick it up.

Getting there my second realization is how trim and clean the lines are, nice surprise after expecting a hog leg. Third thought is "F%#& a Python". The first realization is the gun is NIB and has never been used - no turn line, no breach-face markings, bone dry and everything stiff to work. The guy had to cut a cheep little white band so I could operate the action. Needless to say the inspection process took about 30 seconds. The seller was a good guy I'm sorry for his loss. By the way, is there a reason for a green sticky dot in the grip at the thumb? QC mark?

The price sheet in the box is dated June 1, 1979.  So I assume 79/80 manufacture.

In '79 I was 17, It's like this pistol has just been waiting for me to grow-up and find it. Not to mention I could never have got it if he was not asking 1/2 (maybe less) what it is worth.

I could not be happier about a gun deal. With a little work the action has smoothed up very nicely and I shot 3 cylinders through it last night before a meeting at our gun range. I'll bet it's best pistol group I ever shot.

Mike

Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
November 18, 2010 - 2:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great write up, and heck of a find.  The only problem now is..... One DW just seems so lonely ... a big brother .44.. will wiggle its way into your life all too soon, that or like a me a bunch of more 15's ( .357's).

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
November 18, 2010 - 10:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

HPMike800 said:

By the way, is there a reason for a green sticky dot in the grip at the thumb? QC mark?

It very well could be, although I haven't seen one yet myself. Got any pics?Laugh 

Congrats on your cool find. Finding a DW these days that is still NIB is pretty hard to do.

Adam42
Mts of East Tennessee
Members
Forum Posts: 682
November 18, 2010 - 10:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Rod0990
Members
Forum Posts: 95
November 20, 2010 - 5:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My .357 wasnt new, but was near cherry condition. The guy who sold it to me said "Iver never heard of these Dan Wessons, since its an off-brand Ill sell it cheap".

Needless to say I kept my mouth shut, it came on a clamshell, instructions, welcoming letter from company, original barrel changing  etc.

It had been fired, but not by much by the looks of it.

Its always nice to find these gems, they dont come about often.

Grats on your find and you know, they are right, I originally bought my DW for home protection, now Im looking for another....

Sincerely,

Rod

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" – George Washington

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
November 20, 2010 - 6:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome Mike.  Hope you enjoy our forum as much as you are going to enjoy your new gun.  Watch out fro DWAS.

Smile

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
November 20, 2010 - 9:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome and enjoy your new DW as well as the forum!

Regards, Photo

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
November 20, 2010 - 11:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rod0990 said:

My .357 wasnt new, but was near cherry condition. The guy who sold it to me said "Iver never heard of these Dan Wessons, since its an off-brand Ill sell it cheap".

Needless to say I kept my mouth shut, it came on a clamshell, instructions, welcoming letter from company, original barrel changing  etc.

It had been fired, but not by much by the looks of it.

I love hearing stories like that!Laugh

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
November 21, 2010 - 11:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great story and a great deal. Go out and shoot that treasure a LOT!

The Savantist

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: snake-eye, mister callan, cruzans, RichardsDWs
Guest(s) 29
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3942