Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
My 357 broke!
Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 23, 2011 - 2:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a little pricey and I would also part it out as well.  You can probably come close to making enough to purchase another DW.

rhuet67
Members
Forum Posts: 15
March 23, 2011 - 3:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jody said:

That's a little pricey and I would also part it out as well.  You can probably come close to making enough to purchase another DW.

It still makes me sick to my stomach.  I hate to see it go.  I love the older purple patina the older ones get.  It shot like a dream too.  Such a shame.  I think I'll take my other one out and shoot her next week to make me feel better.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
March 23, 2011 - 5:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is a ridiculous number. Part it out, my guess is that you can sell everything right here with no auction fees. Someone will probably even take the frame, although there will be FFL fees on that. A "parted out" DW will almost certainly bring enough to buy another.

Just out of curiosity, why do they feel the cylinder must be replaced?

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

rhuet67
Members
March 23, 2011 - 11:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

He said they would try and ream the chambers but if it was already bored to 357 specs, then the cylinder would need replacing. I expect the worse.  The side plate killed the deal any way.

It chambers sized ammo (loaded).  It chambers fired 38 brass.  It will not chamber fired 357 brass.  If I shoot it, I have to beat out the brass.  I think some one fired too many 38s.  I don't see a ring  but the 357 brass stops in the chamber roughly where a 38 shell ends.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11049
March 24, 2011 - 2:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Man, that's sad to hear.frown The side plate quote really surprises me...it's almost as if they really don't want to mess with revolvers any longer.confused...confused

Let us know of the outcome. If you decide to part it, I'm sure the members here will help recoup your investment.

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
March 24, 2011 - 8:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

The side plate quote really surprises me…it's almost as if they really don't want to mess with revolvers any longer.

I think CF has nailed it with that statement!

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
March 24, 2011 - 8:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had that same thought-why make it easy to get the old ones fixed when we want to sell new ones?

I don't REALLY think that is the thought process, but it sort of feels that way. On that cylinder, have you really scrubbed it out? Power scrubbed with lead remover and a brush chucked into a power drill?

We really need a good DW Gunsmith!

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

rhuet67
Members
March 24, 2011 - 8:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I used Hoppes#9, then a Dremel and jeweler's rouge then Dremel and Simichrome paste.  I don't have a 357 finisher die but that would have been my next step.  It would be nice to be able to have the chambers chrome-lined and then rechambered with a die.  (Probably cheaper than having CZ replace it.)

rhuet67
Members
April 3, 2011 - 10:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

(Another) update:

I obtained some parts from Numrich Corp.  Here is what the pistol looked like when I got it.  The one with the Hogue grip is my original DW I inherited.

[Image Can Not Be Found][Image Can Not Be Found][Image Can Not Be Found][Image Can Not Be Found][Image Can Not Be Found]

rhuet67
Members
April 3, 2011 - 10:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Update cont.

Numrich got a side plate in just as I was preparing to part her out.  I ordered the side plate and decided to try and fix her.  I wondered if Numrich might be adding parts in their inventory due to a recent purchase so, I checked them out the next day too.  There was the cylinder!  I spent two or three days with a Dremel and cleaning chemicals and now have it put together again.  The timing appears correct, the side plate fits well and after cleaning the new cylinder, I can eject previously fired brass (from the other Dan Wesson) with no problem.  I haven't fired it yet.  I have decided to wait for the EKW barrel tool and gauge and check the barrel before I fire it.  If it still holds together after recoil, I will declare this pistol fixed. 

This is what she looks like now.

New plate with old cylinder:

Image Enlarger

New plate and new cylinder:

[Image Can Not Be Found][Image Can Not Be Found]

The camera really makes the three different colors come out.  The pistol looks normal when looking at it.

Original Pistol:

Image Enlarger

Fixed Pistol:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Thanks for all the help.

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
April 3, 2011 - 11:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So how hard was it for you to fit the sideplate?  Ordid it just drop right in?

SHOOT

rhuet67
Members
April 3, 2011 - 11:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had to polish the top of the plate near the top screw and polish the bottom near the bottom screw.  After that it popped right in.  I used the Dremel and the aluminium polishing disk.  It removed very little metal.

Blacktop
OHIO
Members
Forum Posts: 3004
April 4, 2011 - 6:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congrats on the repair occasion Let us know how it shoots !

-Blacktop

+DW.jpg

rhuet67
Members
April 6, 2011 - 9:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blacktop said:

Congrats on the repair occasion Let us know how it shoots !

-Blacktop

I got to shoot it today.  It shoots great and held up to the recoil.  The empties popped right out with no sticking.  I am looking forward to a long relationship with this pistol.  Now to find a 22LR.

Gary J
Georgia
Members
Forum Posts: 894
May 4, 2011 - 11:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's always nice when a project comes together. Numrich is amazing when it comes to the parts they have. And they are often very reasonable. I ordered a part from them a week ago for one my Rugers. Total price 10.00 with s/h.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 48
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912
Stinger: 3377