Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Monson 357VH Pistol Pac
cdf294
Central TX
Members
Forum Posts: 394
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 25, 2010 - 10:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hi guys.

As most of you know, I have been out of the loop for a while now. I am getting back to normal in most respects now and have been a bit more likely to put myself in a situation to run into more Dan Wesson revolvers for sale.

I can't afford to give up the cash for it but ran into a Monson 357VH Pistol Pac with the 4 barrels, case, paperwork, and barrel tool. This Pac is miising the buckle, patch, and extra sight blades. The revolver is in the 95-98% condition range and appears to have been fired very little. Three out of 4 barrels are still unfired.

I still don't own a Pac and feel that the opportunity may not come around again anytime quick, especially for one this clean. I will be required to sacrifice another (NON DW) firearm in order to accumulate funds to make this purchase.

What would be a fair price range for for the above setup in your opinion?

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3243
March 25, 2010 - 12:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

CDF,

I would say it would still be around a $700.00-$800.00 value based on auction prices.  Does it have two sets of grips? Are one of them Zebra?  That makes a difference.  Obviously if you can negotiate it , that will be your best bet.

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

cdf294
Central TX
Members
March 25, 2010 - 12:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the response SMF.

Ahh... forgot to mention the grips. Yes, there is a zebra on the revolver and an additional combat grip. 

I knew when I posted this that the asking price was a little high. I figured I could probably negotiate if I knew what a fair price might be to offer.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
March 25, 2010 - 1:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'd still put that Pac in the $800-$900 range in my area (we be expensive out here!)...

SHOOT

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
March 25, 2010 - 1:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It wouldn't surprise me if a 715 VH pac would go for $1000 or more on GunBroker... just depends on the way the wind is blowing!

cdf294
Central TX
Members
March 25, 2010 - 3:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the input guys.

Just went to check it out a little more thoroughly at lunch..... this is one clean firearm. Tried to print out 7-8 GB Auctions that have sold Pacs in the last 3 months to use as a negotiation tactic. They aren't willing to budge (yet) and I don't think that I am ready to drop $995+ tax on an incomplete kit.

I find it to be a bit aggravating that they wouldn't even look at the paperwork I printed out. They said they have looked at GB and this price is fair, to which I responded that 7 auctions in the last 3 months had ended between $750 for a pac missing the patch and buckle, and $950 for COMPLETE Pacs. Unfortunately, they are basing their pricing on the couple rare auctions that ended for over $1K (which were complete Pacs) or auctions that ended without bids.

I will have to think real seriously about this. Or maybe, someone here has a pac they would like to sell for fair market value. (wink,wink,nudge,nudge)

IMG_0985-1.jpg

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
March 25, 2010 - 6:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well here's part of the problem from a guy who tracks Pac prices... Laugh...  Over the last 6 months or so the prices of Pacs have dropped substantially IN COMPARISON to buying a single DW.  When single model 15-2's are selling for peaks of $500+ and a Pac can be had on GB for roughly $800, it is a no brainer which one I am going to buy.  Pacs have been getting bought by the breakers for a reason--they are making nice profit parting them out!

The Home-made Pacs I sold all went locally because I was able to get $900 for them.  They went a couple of rounds on GB and never went near that high.  With GB you also have to add-in shipping and transfer fees.  Plus most of the GB pacs are not pristine.

There are exceptions-- 22 pacs will always be pricey, so will all the SS Pacs.

SHOOT

cdf294
Central TX
Members
March 26, 2010 - 11:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

OK guys, thanks for the input.

I have been able to convince the shop to sell the Pac for $900 cash out the door. I am not exactly stealing it at that price, but I think that I can live with that price since it works out to around $835 + tax. I will probably miss the STI… or maybe not. At least the STI factory is only about 15 miles away so I can always pick another up eventually, if I feel the need. After all, DWAS doesn't ever go away- it just goes dormant from time to time.

Of course, I will post pictures this evening or tomorrow.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3243
March 26, 2010 - 1:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congrats on the PAC.  You saved another from extinction.  I think after reading your second post about the condition that you did well.

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

cdf294
Central TX
Members
March 26, 2010 - 7:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is a pic of the new toy.

I am seriously starting to question whether this revolver has been fired now. Once I got it home and put a little oil on it, I used a bore light to inspect the one barrel I thought had been fired. As it turns out, I don't think this revolver has been fired. If it has, there couldn't possibly be more than 20-30 rounds through it. There is just the slightest sign of a drag mark on the cylinder. The case is a little rough and the material is dirty, but we can solve that problem.

The paperwork says April 1978 and all the barrels even have the nuts.

All in all, I'm a happy man. The first Pac i've ever owned and I would say it's 99%.Big Grin

[Image Can Not Be Found]

IMG_0985-1.jpg

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
March 26, 2010 - 8:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

See -- a VERY happy ending Laugh... unfired is a definite plus.  I've bought several Pacs that were all unfired except for the 6" barrel.

SHOOT

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
March 26, 2010 - 10:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice catch Chris.  And the price seems fair to me.  Sure is pretty.

Smile

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

cdf294
Central TX
Members
March 26, 2010 - 10:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys.

I probably wouldn't have been so quick to sell the STI, but a shiny, mint, 30+ year old Dan Wesson is always difficult to ignore. It is ironic that I found this Pac where I did. Not once have I seen a firearm in this store worth purchasing- I was just wasting time during lunch. 

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
March 27, 2010 - 9:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cdf294 said:

...and all the barrels even have the nuts.

I believe all the 15-2 Pacs were shipped with nuts on the extra barrels, it's just the early Porkchop Pacs that weren't for whatever reason.

Great catch on a beautiful Pac!Drool I think you did very well on that deal. And like you said, you can always go buy another STI when you're ready...not so with a super clean Pac like that one.Laugh Way to go!occasion

robhof
Ky
Members
Forum Posts: 281
March 27, 2010 - 5:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you want to make a complete pac for collectable purposes, the missing parts come up on Ebay from time to time and as said above about the wind blowing, they can be a bargain or costly, but the little additions do make it complete.  I pieced a 357SM into a Pac doing the auctions and still ended upWelcome with less than $1000 invested and valued for insurance at $1350.  It did take 4 years to do though.

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
March 28, 2010 - 5:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If a revolver has been fired, there will be a "Slame Cut"  on the inside of the top strap...above /near the forcing cone.

Best of luck with your new Dan - enjoy~!

Photo

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
March 29, 2010 - 9:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

robhof said:

I pieced a 357SM into a Pac doing the auctions and still ended up with less than $1000 invested and valued for insurance at $1350.  It did take 4 years to do though.

That's pretty darn good, for a SM Pac!Smile Obviously the time spent looking for good deals over the four years, netted nice prices on all the pieces involved.occasion

With today's current prices however, you may want to bump it's insurance value up somewhere closer to $2K.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 40
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914
Stinger: 3377