Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Model 715 getting lots of blowback
garryj
Northwest Florida
Members
Forum Posts: 59
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 24, 2018 - 2:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

When shooting full power .357's in my DW 715, I get a lot of burnt powder blowback in my face. None of my other revolvers do this. I used to have a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull that did this when shooting .454 Casull, but I never found out why before I sold it. Is this caused by too wide a gap between the cylinder and forcing cone? I haven't tried to adjust it, I just assumed the previous owner knew how. The gauge he gave me with the gun does fit kind of loosely, so I may try to make it tighter after I clean it.

Thanks

Garry

DA....64
Wisconsin

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1505
March 24, 2018 - 2:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You need a .006 gap between cylinder and barrel and not overtighten to push cylinder back when putting in the gap tool.  

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
March 24, 2018 - 3:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Check and set the gap on all 6 chambers, sometimes one is higher than the others.  Set gap to no more than .006" on the tightest chamber.  The feeler should have light resistance but not so much that you are pushing the cylinder back against the spring loaded ball at the rear if the frame.  

Also, look at the firing pin marks on the primers, they should be pretty much centered, indicating the gun is in time.

Report what you find.  

BTW I  assume you have a barrel wrench, you'l need one to loosen barrel nut to set gap.  EWKArms on the right side bar makes the best wrenches for our guns.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

Weetabix
Members
Forum Posts: 5
April 1, 2018 - 12:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SCORPIO said
Check and set the gap on all 6 chambers, sometimes one is higher than the others.  Set gap to no more than .006" on the tightest chamber. 

I shot my 15-2 for the first time today.  Same blowback, but not on all cylinders.  I'm not sure I've got 0.006" on the tightest cylinder. 

When I set the barrel, then checked gap after tightening, I noticed some were looser than others.  Is that normal, or did I get a suboptimal revolver?

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 1, 2018 - 5:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Weetabix said

SCORPIO said
Check and set the gap on all 6 chambers, sometimes one is higher than the others.  Set gap to no more than .006" on the tightest chamber. 

I shot my 15-2 for the first time today.  Same blowback, but not on all cylinders.  I'm not sure I've got 0.006" on the tightest cylinder. 

When I set the barrel, then checked gap after tightening, I noticed some were looser than others.  Is that normal, or did I get a suboptimal revolver?  

There were some intermittent issues with earlier production 15-2's where the front face of the cylinder has not consistently (but only slightly) flat true. Another potential issue is that tightening the barrel nut can sometimes cause the barrel to rotate slightly, changing the gap. Best practices are:

1) Make sure the threads on both ends of the barrel tube are clean, no nicks or burrs.

2) Once your gap is measured, open the cylinder and firmy press forward on the barrel tube with your thumb to tighten the barrel nut, allowing you to feel if the barrel is turning at all.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3902
April 1, 2018 - 5:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

The factory says .006 but  .004 works fine unless the cylinder face is seriously out of perpendicular. Even .003 can work but take a cloth with you to wipe the residue off the cylinder face ever several loads. Also take your tool at all times. The cylinder of the 15-2 will expand after several cylinder fulls, especially if shooting quickly. That is why the factory recommends a generous .006. The large frame Dans seem to be exempt from the problem. Ditto the 22. Also, never over tighten the barrel nut. Snug is good. When tightening after measuring, open the cylinder and hold the barrel tube from turning as you snug it up. Needless to say,  I am sure, always make sure the gun is unloaded when adjusting the gap. 

Weetabix
Members
Forum Posts: 5
April 2, 2018 - 10:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A guy on another forum said that it could also be that the problem cylinders don't align true with the barrel, and the blow back is shavings from the bullet.  Any thoughts on how likely that is?

jwk
Hillsboro Mo.
Members
Forum Posts: 144
April 11, 2018 - 10:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s possible. Make sure the gun is unloaded. Close the cylinder and slowly pull the trigger in the double action mode. Their should be two clicks. The first Ville is the bolt being released and the second very faint click is the bolt falling into the recess in the cylinder. The second click should come right before the hammer falls. This may take a few try’s to get right. I put the cylinder close to my ear when I do it to allow me to hear the second click. The second click confirms that the cylinder is locked into the proper position before the hammer falls and fires the gun. If it is not locking up before the hammer falls, it is out of time. This can cause lead spitting and blowback. Hope this helps. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 46
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3902
Stinger: 3369