Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Low # .357 ctg DW?
J Harris
Members
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 1, 2008 - 5:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello DW Fans,

I purchased my Dan Wesson .357 CTG lightly used in 1985/86. $175.00 seems like it was a decent price at that time. It has a 2 inch barrel w/ wood grips. I have since added pachmeyers and shot it very little. It was produced in Monson and the serial# is s/0045xx. I believe it is a 715, but it is not stamped with a serial # as previous posters have noted. From reading numerous posts all I know for sure is that it does not have a "pork-chop" and does not have adjustable rear sights. I just want to learn more about this gun and other DW's. Of the many pictures of DW's I have seen online I have not seen any exactly like this one. I will try to post a pic. Also wondering how old it is but could care less about value as I would never part with it. My son has his eyes on it. I don't blame him. Any info would be appreciated.

Jayredfish@aol.com 

460smdave
Members
Forum Posts: 140
October 1, 2008 - 8:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

715 the 7 stands for (stainless) 15 is for adjustable sights. If it is blued and none adjustabe siights it would be a Model 14. Full under lug barrel shroud is VH no underlug is a V so like 2v or 2VH, on the two inch bbl it just has a slight angle cut right under the muzzle for the V. so like this Model 14 V2 or Model 14 VH2. Cant find the sheet right now on when they changed to Model 14-2 and 15-2, I want to say 1985 but I cant find it tonight.

If my memory serves me right they stopped the Pork Chop barrel in the late 70's, so it could be almost ten years older then when you purchased it. We really have no idea on production dates by serial number.

Dave

J Harris
Members
Forum Posts: 3
October 19, 2008 - 3:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Dave,

I appreciate your reply. After looking at as many pictures as I could find my Dan Wesson knowledge is improving. I am sure that I have a 714. The barrel lug is recessed and it has the notch/angel under the barrel. So is it a VH2? I am still a little fuzzy about the full underlug vs no underlug. Just trying to learn about DW's.

J Harris 

Robert Hoffman
Guests
October 19, 2008 - 6:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The full lug goea all the way to the end of the shroud, and the V only models have the lug go just past the ejector pin.  On the 2" model it shows up as a curve up past the ejector pin and the VH is flush with the end of the barrel.  Go to one of the pictures area or a gun auction site and you will be able to see the difference.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: bikeridertim, Ole Dog, DA....64, 605Dart, 40Cal, thegunguy
Guest(s) 67
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377