Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Help with 744 needed
spumco
Members
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 4, 2012 - 10:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

All,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and possibly help me.

I have a 744V, purchased with an 8" barrel a few months ago.  Love it - duh.  I've cleaned it completely (detail stripped) and it shoots reasonably well.  Shot a couple inches high with various loads, but I managed a 1.5" group at 20y off-hand.  Nice.

However, I bought a 4" barrel assembly from DW and now it shoots extremely high.  Even with the rear sight cranked all the way down, it's 2 feet high at 25y-100y.  This is with different loads (240lswc 22-23.5g H-110)

Front sight is the same height as on the 8" assembly.  Gap set with .006" feeler, and I used EWK's superb wrench.  Still shoots smooth, no forcing cone strikes or leading.

It's possible that the rear sight is the wrong one for the gun.  I just don't know, as it's my first DW.  Looks right, but were there any "long-range" rear sights offered that were higher than standard?

Anyone have any ideas?  My next move is to rotate the barrel sightly and re-tighten and see if the POI changes dramatically.

Thanks,

R

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
November 4, 2012 - 11:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Since you are hitting correctly with the original (Monson?) 8", and the front sight height is identical, I'd look next at any possible difference in the profile of the new barrel shroud versus the original.

Do you have a digital caliper to measure the overall height of the top of the front sight from the top of the bore on both shrouds?

My thought is that there might be enough difference in the height of the top rib between the original manufacture and new manufacture shroud that it might cause this problem.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

spumco
Members
November 4, 2012 - 11:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  There is perhaps .001-002" difference, with the 4" assembly being lower to the bore than the 8". Both measurements were taken with the caliper jaw in the groove.  Not enough to make such a dramatic difference.

All shooting was off a rest, BTW.

Just checked, and the 4" assembly was properly snugged up.  And the barrel nuts were concentric - no difference between the 3 nuts I have to play with.

Um.  That didn't come out right, but you know what I meant.

Anything else?

-Ralph

NVGdude
Arizona
Members
Forum Posts: 103
November 5, 2012 - 2:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

EWK now sells a full set of patridge front sights.  Sounds like you need a higher front sight.  Not a big fan of ramp sights anyway.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
November 5, 2012 - 8:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

spumco said
Steve,

no difference between the 3 nuts I have to play with.

Um.  That didn't come out right, but you know what I meant.

As I read your reply I was SOOO ready!

Good suggestion from from NVGdude, get some Patridge sights of different heights and dial each barrel in indvivdually. I really like Patridge sights, and if I could ever get a gold bead on one? Too cool.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5290
November 5, 2012 - 9:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

spumco
Members
November 7, 2012 - 5:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks very much gents.

A laser boresighter did not reveal anything useful. Both assemblies were pretty close to the sights when aimed at a 50y target.

I even went so far as to check both the 8" and 4" shrouds on the surface plate to check how square the frame/shroud mating surfaces are.  I still cant find any measurement that is so different between the two that it would explain the amount of divergence between POA and POI.

I did find that the front sight retaining screw drilling & tapping operation raised a .005" lump on the front of both shrouds, and the vent milling distorted it about the same.

Both barrels are straight externally to the limits of my measuring tools (<.001")

Maybe I was just shooting utter crap ammo. Or I'm an utter crap shooter with decent ammo.  Either or.

I'll be buying the sight set from EWK.  And maybe I'll EDM some distance notches and put brass Keith bars on once they're dialed in.

It's much more fun to throw parts & money at something than admit I'm a lousy shot.

Regards,

Ralph

tjvohs
Members
Forum Posts: 1
January 30, 2020 - 8:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just purchased a 744 with 6 inch barrel. I have the rear sights cranked all the way down and I still am shooting 7 to 8 inches high at 25 yards. I do have the set of sights ordered from EWK. Did you ever find anything out about yours? I shoot my Blackhawk and gp100 just fine at 25 yards.

Andrew1220
Members
Forum Posts: 718
January 31, 2020 - 9:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had this problem after installing the EWK fiber optic front sight on my 744 and 715 - I ran out of elevation adjustment trying to get it zeroed.

I ended up installing a Ruger GP100/Blackhawk rear sight which fits the DW's and has more adjustments.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/sight-assembly-complete-rear-w-bump-sku780012049-12177-28889.aspx?sku=780012049

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Dan Fan, bikeridertim, DA....64, capt jack
Guest(s) 33
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912
Stinger: 3377