Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Grips for long tang 357 magnum
Snappit
Members
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 22, 2010 - 9:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello, I am new to this forum, but I really need somebody's help.  I have a Dan & Wesson 357 magnum.  I bellieve is is a model 15-2.  My dad gave me this gun years ago with extra grips.  I took the rubber ones off, they were damaged and now completely destroyed.  I went to put the other grips on and they will not go on.  They were made for a shorter tang and less thick of a tang.  My tang is 2-3/4" on the long side and 2-1/2" on the short side (trigger gaurd side) and the tang is 5/8" square.  I have gone on spec sheets and other forums, but haven't seen anybody write about an issue with a longer tang.  I hope somebody knows what I have and how to buy new grips.  Please help.

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1690
November 22, 2010 - 10:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Snappit - welcome to the forum.  You'll find a lot of knowledgeable members here that can help you solve just about any problem with a DW firearm. 

Can you post a couple pics of your gun and the grips so that we can be sure of what you're working with?  If it's a 15-2 and you need to purchase a new Hogue rubber grip, you can generally find them in the secondary market (ebay, auctions, etc.) for $15 - $20.  You'll need to look for Hogue item #57000.  A wood grip will be more depending on the type and can also be found in the secondary market, or purchased from LB grips and I believe directly from Dan Wesson as well.

Anyway, if you can please post a couple pics of your setup we can give you more accurate info. on the grips you need.

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
November 23, 2010 - 8:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome, I bet your gun is a Palmer model--they seem to have slightly larger diameter tangs, and sometimes grips will not fit them without a little work.

No worries, there are a lot of grips out there that will fit your gun.

SHOOT

Snappit
Members
November 23, 2010 - 7:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello and thankyou for the response.  I tried to send some pictures, but couldn't get them to my post.  I know it is me.  I'll try again.  I've tried a Hougue grip and had to drill about 1" down and because the tang is wider it split the new rubber grips.  I had a pair of wood grips and had a chisel and drill and broke that pair.  Let me see if I can get you the pics.

harly said:

Snappit - welcome to the forum.  You'll find a lot of knowledgeable members here that can help you solve just about any problem with a DW firearm. 

Can you post a couple pics of your gun and the grips so that we can be sure of what you're working with?  If it's a 15-2 and you need to purchase a new Hogue rubber grip, you can generally find them in the secondary market (ebay, auctions, etc.) for $15 - $20.  You'll need to look for Hogue item #57000.  A wood grip will be more depending on the type and can also be found in the secondary market, or purchased from LB grips and I believe directly from Dan Wesson as well.

Anyway, if you can please post a couple pics of your setup we can give you more accurate info. on the grips you need.

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
November 23, 2010 - 7:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

Snappit
Members
November 23, 2010 - 7:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, I figured out how to insert pictures.  This might show some clarity on my problem.  I have ruined to set of grips trying to get them to fit this tang.  I've tried to modify the grips, but after you drill them deeper there usually isn't enough left at the bottom.  On the Hogue rubber grips I bought, I could drill deep enough, but they split the back of the grips.  From the research I have done there appears to be two type of grips; large frame and small frame.  The large frame are suppose to have a round tang?  and the small frame are suppose to have a square tang?  I assume I have a small frame, but the tang is obviously longer than any spec sheets I have seen and is thicker too.  If anyone can help, I truly thank you.

Chris

DakotaJack
SD
Members
November 23, 2010 - 8:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok - someone else going to have to jump in here.  The small frames I have are mod. 15's and this tang is MUCH larger than any of my mod. 15's.  Anyone recognize it?

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
November 23, 2010 - 9:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think you should try the large frame grip! it looks as someone has changed it up to me more pics please!

DSCN1339.jpg

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
November 23, 2010 - 10:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would be surprised if that is a factory original grip tang, that thing is huge! I assume it was extended for whatever reason by a previous owner, no idea why though.

I would like to see a few more pics too, this is interesting.

Snappit
Members
November 28, 2010 - 5:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Gentlemen,

I appreciate the feed back.  I am going to try the large frame grips and get back to you.  I think it was the orginal tang.  My dad still had the receipt and it has never left the family.  It is a model 15-2.  He bought it new.  He did not change the tang and either have I.  Give me a week or so to get the new grips.  If that don't work; I getting a feeling I'm screwed.

Chris.

DakotaJack
SD
Members
November 30, 2010 - 2:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Snappit - can you post some pics of the whole gun including the rollmarks?  No one here has been able to identify the tang and we're interested in seeing the whole gun.  Thanks!

Snappit
Members
December 1, 2010 - 8:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Hello Guys,

I've attached the above pictures for further clarification.  This is all original, so I think I have a weird one.  I still haven't got the large frame grips, so can't tell you if those work yet.  Let me know if this sheds any light on the situation.

Chris.Mini Gun

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
December 1, 2010 - 9:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is definately not normal Screwy... try to take some pics outside in the sun with no flash--you'll get much better detail in the photos.

I think you are going to get a custom grip made for that one.

SHOOT

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
December 2, 2010 - 12:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I went in & lightened a couple of those pics, to try & see more detail…

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

I can see what looks like a seam at the top of the tang. Also on the left side at the top, it appears to have a flat clip or tab of some sort.

It looks to me that this is a square sleeve of some sort…maybe something that was originally inside the aftermarket grip (with the rubber moulded around it) for added support? I bet that thing will slide off, judging from what I can see.

Snappit, look at the bottom. If you see this inside there, then yours is definitely a sleeve that has been pressed on…

Image Enlarger

kpm
Members
Forum Posts: 87
December 2, 2010 - 12:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Snappit said:

I took the rubber ones off, they were damaged and now completely destroyed.  I went to put the other grips on and they will not go on. 

I think you got it, he has remnants of the old grip still on it.

Worship

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
December 2, 2010 - 6:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

kpm said:

Snappit said:

I took the rubber ones off, they were damaged and now completely destroyed.  I went to put the other grips on and they will not go on. 

I think you got it, he has remnants of the old grip still on it.

Worship

I think you figured it out.  is the remaining grip tang plastic?  It maybe glued or just stuck for some reason.  Hope you can get it back up and working.  Out door pics work well to show detail...  poke

DSCN1339.jpg

Blacktop
OHIO
Members
Forum Posts: 3004
December 2, 2010 - 9:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

+DW.jpg

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
Snappit
Members
December 2, 2010 - 4:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, now I feel like a real dumb-ass, but hey that's part of the course.  This is the old part of the old rubber grip.  I don't know what happened with these grips, but they became one with the gun.  I had to cut them off and now I need to get this part off.  It is amazing how tough this thing doesn't want to come off, but it will.  Thanks again guys!  Really appreciate all your help.  lol2

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: racepres
Guest(s) 36
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3941
Stinger: 3388