Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Good price to pay for a .357 Max
Teddydogno1
Members
Forum Posts: 32
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 26, 2022 - 9:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I mentioned in the recent Supermag thread that I might know where I can get a .357 Max package for a "reasonable" price.  I should be seeing it tomorrow and if I recall correctly, it is stainless with an 8" barrel installed with the slotted/cutout shroud.  It has a second shorter barrel, but I don't recall the details on that and supposedly an assortment of other parts and at least one more pair of stocks/grips.

If one could get this package for $1100 or even $1000, does that seem like a good buy (assuming good condition, of course)?  If it is blue any my memory is bad, does that affect the price much?  Based on the few completed GB auctions, it DOES seem like a good buy.  

BTW...I have a .357 Max Contender and a Ruger SBH Max already.  

Thanks for any thoughts  With any luck I'll have a shot at this gun Saturday morning.

Rob

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3377
August 27, 2022 - 5:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a good price for just the gun, the other stuff is just gravy.

gtdw

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1921
August 27, 2022 - 12:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

+1 Good price for blue and even better price for stainless!

Teddydogno1
Members
August 27, 2022 - 6:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I went, I saw, I bought.  My memory wasn't all that great, apparently though!

It is an 8" blued gun with the slotted shroud and a 2" long compensator at the muzzle.  The SN is E004614.  As you can see in the pics, it is in good condition, but by no means perfect.  There is no front sight blade installed.  The action seems to function as it should.  There appears to be a slot in the top strap above the cylinder gap.  I think/hope this is an intentional thing and not flame cutting (seems too uniform to be flame cutting to me).

In addition to the base gun, I got a box with a B-Square scope mount, a 4" barrel and shroud, a steel barrel wrench and feeler gauge, a couple of small springs and a pin (maybe sight related?), a Hogue rubber grip, a holster that might fit the gun with the 4" tube installed, and a couple of misc. rounds of ammo (that I won't be shooting).

I paid $1050 for a private party sale (so no sales tax).

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

(is it compensating for something???)

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

While at the show, I pick this up from a different seller, just 'cuz.  He had 12 boxes in 3 different loads.  I only bought this one since I don't have a .445!

Image Enlarger

Question about the compensator and barrel nut...  Is it a standard barrel nut holding the compensator onto the barrel, or some other arrangement?  There isn't another nut in the kit, so I'm not sure if I can use the 4" barrel with what I have here.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Rob

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 977
August 27, 2022 - 7:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3911
August 27, 2022 - 8:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The compensator replaces the barrel nut. It is a fancy barrel nut. Lol. You can use it on the 4" BA too. Nice setup.

Find that seller of the factory branded cartridges. Buy all he has. They sell for 4 $ a round on Gunbroker. They are collectables. If you shoot them you won't see any more. 

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
August 27, 2022 - 8:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yep! I would personally buy a box just for collection sake if you go back tomorrow LMK if you are willing.

Teddydogno1
Members
August 28, 2022 - 12:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The seller of the .445 ammo has had the same ammo for months if not more.  He has it priced at $85 a box, but I was able to get mine for $60.  He is just sitting on it and did say he'd make a better deal for buying more/all of it.  He has 250 gr FMJ, 240 gr (SP I think) and more 300 gr SP like I bought.  I am not going back today, but the next show is in only 2 weeks.  If someone is seriously interested in some, please send me a private message.

Any thoughts on flame cutting on these?  I understand that is a problem with the Rugers using some loads (even with the relief cut they have).  Is that a problem with the DW .357 Max?

Rob

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3911
August 28, 2022 - 5:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The problem of flame cutting was caused by the use of light bullets to obtain extreme muzzle velocity. DW discovered that use bullets of 180 grains or more reduced the etching. Also, the frame hardened from the flame cutting and stopped.

What I said, $4 dollars a round. I found 2 boxes of 357 max and 2 boxes of 445 at a local pawn shop. They had had them for years. I paid 20 a box. That was about 5 years ago. Haven't seen anymore locally or at gun shows since. I would make a deal for it all if you could get them for 50 each. There are less every year. 

Teddydogno1
Members
September 9, 2022 - 3:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's the Max along with my .357 Mag and .44 Mag.  That SuperMag is HUGE!

Image Enlarger

Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 672
September 9, 2022 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"Question about the compensator and barrel nut... Is it a standard barrel nut holding the compensator onto the barrel, or some other arrangement? There isn't another nut in the kit, so I'm not sure if I can use the 4" barrel with what I have here.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Rob"

The muzzle brake is EWK early design.   If you switch barrels you may find spacers between the shroud and the frame.   DO NOT LOSE THOSE!  They are installed for muzzlebrake alignment.

A heck of a deal!

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: BearLakeBlues
Guest(s) 29
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)