Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Found a 741 First Shot, Reload or Factory?
landtoy80
Members
Forum Posts: 112
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 12, 2010 - 1:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I found a 741 at a gun shop out of state. Should have it next week.

I have never shot a 41 mag.  I do reload but with a used gun should I try and find a factory box of ammo for the first time shooting it or just load some up?

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
March 12, 2010 - 8:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If the shooter is tight I would not worry in the least. Since you have a week, load some, or maybe factory stuff is the best way to get brass. Kinda depends on availability and cost. I don't have a 41 so I don't have any data but all published reloading data are usually conservative so start mid range and go from there. Just my 2 cents. Others will jump in shortly. OH and congrats on the aqusition, we will need pics when she arrives.

LB

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
March 12, 2010 - 9:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3243
March 12, 2010 - 9:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't know that it makes a difference if you use factory or handloads to start with as long as when using handloads you take LBruce's suggestion at starting mild and work up to you feel comfortable with  the load.  I do not know why the gun would care either way.  I have often started with a new gun with handloads myself.

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

landtoy80
Members
March 12, 2010 - 9:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was at Cabela's and had a hand full of 41 mag reloading supplies and put them back as I started think, I better make sure it works before I invest in a bunch of 41 mag supplies.

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
Forum Posts: 870
March 12, 2010 - 9:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I was in the same situation when I won a model 41 in an Auction.  I skipped the factory ammo route and bought reloading dies, brass and bullets.

I purchased Starline brass.  I already had the primers and powder on hand.  I own a chronograph but haven't checked these loads.   This was only preliminary testing with a 4" barrel at 15 yards:

215 grain lead semi wad cutter over 5 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup.  Very light load with almost no felt recoil – think 38 special in a model 40 Wink  Decent grouping with the bullet hitting about 1/2" below point of aim.

215 grain lead semi wad cutter over 6.5 grains of Titegroup.  Mild load with very manageable recoil.  Decent grouping with the bullets hitting about 1/2" above POA.

250 grain lead semi wad cutter over 6.5 grains of Titegroup.  Recoil was about the same as above.  Grouping was good with the bullets hitting at POA.

At this point I plan to further develop loads using the heaver bullets, as I believe they will offer better consistency and accuracy.  6.5 grains of TG powder with a 250gr bullet is supposed to be near the upper limit; 6.7 is listed as the max.  This is my first experience with a .41 magnum and was expecting stiffer recoil.  So now I need to get my chrono setup and see what my velocities are.

-Wayne

3PPCLined.jpg

landtoy80
Members
March 13, 2010 - 1:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dealer will ship on Tuesday so should have it on Wednesday.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 34
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914
Stinger: 3377