Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Finally got me a 357..... Sort of
cdf294
Central TX
Members
Forum Posts: 394
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 6, 2009 - 12:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting day it has been today.

Started my day with getting a cracked tooth problem solved. My face, jaw, and cheek hurts and I know it will only get worse as the day goes on. When I arrived home from the dentist, my wife mentioned that someone had left an odd message on the answering machine about a gun that I might be interested in. My entire right side of my face is puffy and my tongue is numb from the shots.... I know a return phone call isn't going to fly since I can't talk well. So I hop in the car and head over to talk to the guy who called.

He brings this out to the counter:

[Image Can Not Be Found] 

Well, doesn't that look interesting.Smile

He still won't give me any info about what's in the box and is obviously toying with me. So I proceed to take the outer protctive cover loose and find this box:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

OK, now we are getting somewhere. Geez, how old is this box? It looks in excellent condition but I have never seen a Dan Wesson box that looked like this before. Hmmm, interesting box in very good shape....looks like it spent it's entire life in a safe or something. Impressive... so what's in the darned box already?

Well, I remove the cover and find this ancient looking paperwork:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

After being thorughly entertained by looking through this time capsule and inspecting the original warranty card and the Safariland/Dan Wesson brochure, it was time to actually see what else was in the box.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Good Lord!  It's an unfired Model 12.Surprised I just had to have it.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

One of these days I will buy a 357 to shoot- this one will be for collecting. If it hasn't been shot in 38 years, I ain't shooting it. This thing is so tight, I could hardly open the cylinder to check the serial number.

I've been told that the gentleman who sold this to me received it directly from the man himself- Dan Wesson.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
April 6, 2009 - 12:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very cool find!  If you get a chance scan your paper work and I'll post it in the archive!  Thanks for sharing!

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3246
April 6, 2009 - 12:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is one of those once in a lifetime finds I do believe.  You need to jot the story down with it so it goes along since Mr. Wesson actually was the deliverer.  There is a spare barrel, new I believe, if you want to increaes the value of your find. It is on Gun Broker right now for the old pork chop. 

It has been a great day for those afflicted with DWAS!Laugh

SMF

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
April 6, 2009 - 1:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Awesome find, I normally shout shoot that thing, but in this case I might agree and would keep this one pure. So you need to hurry up and score a model 15 so the NGNSS (New Gun Needs Shootin Syndrome) dosent take control.Wink

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 1044
April 6, 2009 - 2:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

WOW!!

That is TREASURE!!  I can't believe the condition of everything… Even the box is great.  Nice find Cdf!!

I bet you forgot all about that tooth….

Thanks for the great work telling that illustrated story! 

It would be great if you could contact the owner and get the actual first hand story about getting it from Dan Wesson 'his own self'.

I have to agree with you & lbruce - no shootin' that one.  That is what I would call “rare”.  Nice goin'! Laugh

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
April 6, 2009 - 2:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Holy crap, nice score!!Surprised Cool story to go with it, too! I agree with SMF, that's one of those once in a lifetime finds. How cool.

So with your face all numb like that, did you end up drooling on the gun?Laugh hehe

NGNSS...LOL!!Laugh

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 6, 2009 - 2:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I certainly wasn't expecting to purchase an unfired W12 when I woke up this morning. It's ironic that I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for in a 357, yet I am informed about this beauty for a price below some of the banged up pawnshop model 15's I've seen. I have to thank my pal Michael for getting me the hook-up.  Now I just have to find the 357 shooter. I expect Michael to call this week.Cool

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm very happy that this deal dropped into my lap.

Jody- I will try and get this vintage 1971 paperwork scanned for you this week.

SMF- thanks for the heads up on a barrel.

lbruce- I agree that I need to find a shooter or this will drive me crazy. I don't go for safe queens but this one will stay just that- an unfired safe queen.

Dusty- I did meet the original owner while I was there. He said that he would bring the  barrel nut tool, which he had forgotten. This gentleman is the owner of the store where  I purchased this today. One of his employees had mentioned that I love the Dan Wessons and that I am constantly keeping an eye out for any. When I go back to get the barrel tool, I will try to get the whole story about how he was presented with the revolver.

Charger- if it hadn't been for the mouth full of gauze, I would have loaded up the gun and counter, for sure.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Tigger
Wester New York
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 363
April 6, 2009 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SWEET!!!!!

I like the old models with the exposed barrel nut, call me crazy.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
~Thomas Jefferson~

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 6, 2009 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I always say to shoot them, but not this time. It's a treasure, and if the seller got it directly from Dan, I suggest you get a letter (notarized?) to go with it. That is the kind of provenance that is priceless for an historical piece like this.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 6, 2009 - 6:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a very good idea Steve.

Once I get the call to go pick up the barrel wrench, I will confirm that this was indeed a hand delivered revolver by Mr. Wesson and attempt to obtain paperwork stating such.

Does anyone else have a Model 12? I would be curious about the production dates. This one has a 4 digit serial # inside the crane opening and came with a price list for 1971- back when a W12 Pistol Pac cost $190.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

warnerwh
Portland, Oregon
Members
Forum Posts: 121
April 6, 2009 - 7:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is indeed an awesome find.  I'll bet you forgot about the pain in your mouth after that. Please do scan the paper work and maybe some more pictures.  You are very fortunate to have run into that gun. 

palo
Members
Forum Posts: 182
April 7, 2009 - 3:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print
cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 10, 2009 - 6:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jody,

My scanner decided it has had enough and terminated its own existence. You do have some classic 70's documentation pics on the way for the archive though.

You know, I really need that banging head against wall smiley when you get time- I seem to have a use for it a little too frequently. Wink

Thanks.

Chris

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Jimbob2.0
Members
Forum Posts: 166
April 12, 2009 - 2:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is awesome, I see so many "unfireds" that are actually fired. I felt lucky to find a 95% condition gun in its pistol pack with everything but the beltbuckle (I actually have one from my Grandfathers model 15 if I need to make it "complete").

My Dan's

15VH pistol pack
715 plus two barrels
44 pistol pack in transit

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
April 12, 2009 - 4:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Man, that is a great score. You are very lucky.

I would still shoot it though.Smile

The Savantist

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 13, 2009 - 5:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IHMSA80×80-

I don't know, I just can't bring myself to shoot it.

I figure for the $300 I paid for it, I can afford a shooter and keep this one the way it sits.

Well....on a different note, I picked up the barrel wrench today but was unable to catch up with the original owner for the complete story on how it was delivered to him. In addition to the barrel wrench, I was given a small little booklet complete with original patina:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

IMG_0985-1.jpg

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
April 13, 2009 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5297
April 13, 2009 - 7:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SWEET!  I love a good picture story...  nice find!

Regards,

Ron

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
April 13, 2009 - 7:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I bet just inside that cover, it goes something like this; "This Dan Wesson revolver will very likely be the first step toward full blown DWAS! Enjoy your sickness."Laugh LOL!

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 13, 2009 - 7:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan said:

I bet just inside that cover, it goes something like this; “This Dan Wesson revolver will very likely be the first step toward full blown DWAS! Enjoy your sickness.”Laugh LOL!

Hey Charger,

You must have read the booklet, eh?  Actually, I think it says that in fine print at the bottom of the last page.  LaughLOL

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: DA....64
Guest(s) 43
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3940