Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Dan Wesson 44 or 445?
JamesT
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 5, 2009 - 11:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi, I need to know if the Dan Wesson gun frame I have is a 44 or a 445 ? The frame seems very large and hard to hold up as it is heavy.I have a DW 22 and a DW 357 which are light and small compared to the 44. I don't know how to tell which frame I have.I have 44 barrels on it but it had a 445 on it when I got it.It also has a small 44 at the start of the S/N Can anyone tell me which it is?Thanks JimFrown

jaggman
Emmaus, PA
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1358
October 5, 2009 - 11:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome JamesT to the DWF Sign.  I have both a .44 Mag and a 445 SM.  The cylinder length on the .44 Mag is 1-3/4" and on the 445SM it is 2-1/16".  Compare yours to mine and that may answer your question.  I believe the barrels on the .44 Mag and the 445SM are interchangeable, at least they will screw into either frame. Again I believe that to prevent the wrong barrel being screwed onto the wrong frame DW made the threads different so you couldn't make that mistake and hurt yourself or the gun.

If I am off base here someone will certainly pipe in as we tend to look out for each other here. At least the measurement thing should be correct.

I just tried to put a 445 cartridge into my .44 Mag cylinder and it doesn't go in; the casing hits the forcing cone in the cylinder.  occasion

Now for the mandatory  Post Pics, so anti up! rofl

Glad to have you on board!

Ed

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
October 6, 2009 - 1:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jaggman pretty much covered it.  Also if your serial number begins 44 (not 445) it is a .44 magnum and most probably made in Norwich, although I think that some late Palmer guns begin their serial numbers that way (with the caliber) too.  the caliber designation may be followed by a B (for blue) or an S (for stainless).

Also, the reason it seems heavy to you is because it is heavy.  The 22's and 357's were built on the small frame, while the 41's and 44's were built on the large frame.  The SuperMags were all built on a streched large frame so they are even heavier.

Welcome to the DWF Sign.  I hope you enjoy your stay with us and I hope you stay a long time.Smile

I hope we've helped you some.

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

superdan
Eau Claire, WI
Members
Forum Posts: 348
October 6, 2009 - 1:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Monson and Palmer did the Caliber designation as far as I know Norwich used only letters in their caliber code on the frames Monson used the letters as well. Monson and Palmer used the S or B in the serial # to designate stainless or blue respectively.

My 715s are all Monson made and have the following:

357S0071xx

SD0089xx

S/0010xx 

James yours is a .44 due to that being in the serial #.

and of coursePost Pics

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
October 6, 2009 - 4:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

superdan said:

Monson and Palmer did the Caliber designation as far as I know Norwich used only letters in their caliber code on the frames Monson used the letters as well. Monson and Palmer used the S or B in the serial # to designate stainless or blue respectively.

That's correct with what I've found, too. Although I might add that the early Monson guns used no letters...

Image Enlarger

I am pretty sure the letters came along with the introduction of the .357 SuperMag. I believe with all these new calibers, it was starting to get confuzing were record keeping was involved.

JamesT
Members
October 6, 2009 - 11:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Thanks so much guys for the Dan Wesson info on the .44, it is a .44 as I checked the cylinder length and it is 1 3/4 long so I know with all your info that it is a .44.It just felt very large and heavy compared to the other DW`s I have.Here is some pictures of my Dan Wesson collection.James  
Dan Wesson .44,22 and 2 357`sImage Enlarger

GrayGhost
Arizona
Members
Forum Posts: 338
October 7, 2009 - 1:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

JamesT,

You have a mighty fine collection of packs!  They look like their in great condition. You must be suffering from DWAS like the rest of our members.

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
October 7, 2009 - 7:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
October 7, 2009 - 8:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a nice lookin' pack of Pac's, way to go!Drool Yep, that's a classic case ofDWAS if I ever saw one.Laugh

It looks like the .44 in the lower left, from what I can see, then a .22 on the upper left & the other two are 357's I assume?  I like what you did with the large one in the upper right, that's got pretty much anything a guy would need.occasion  I also notice you have a few of the newer style Norwich patches, including one I don't recognize (blue one on the lower right stack). Could you show us a pic of those? We've got a thread devoted to that sort of neat stuff here...

https://www.danwessonforum.com/?page_id=3/dan-wesson-history/historical-pics-buckles-wrenches-patches-grips-sights-pps-hats-etc/

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
October 7, 2009 - 9:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice looking set of Pac'sLaugh.  Please post a close-up photo of those Modern DW patches--they will make a nice addition to the history thread CF linked above. 

SHOOT

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
October 7, 2009 - 6:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Savantist

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
October 7, 2009 - 10:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lots of great stuff, you're a lucky guy.

Welcome to DWF, when you have a chance, please stop by New Members and tell us about yourself, and how you acquired so many Packs

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3244
October 8, 2009 - 11:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cool Pics there JamesDrool  Looks like you came to us with a full blown case of DWAS.  Glad you joined the DWF Sign to share those pics of your  DWAS results.Laugh   I hope you find us informative and friendly here always.

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

JamesT
Members
October 9, 2009 - 1:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope these pictures come out ok.These are the patches I have.Thanks Jim[Image Can Not Be Found]

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
October 9, 2009 - 8:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for adding that pic, Jim.Smile Looks like the blue one is the same thing used on this hat, that was on eGouge a while back.

Image Enlarger

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
October 9, 2009 - 10:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

JamesT said:I hope these pictures come out ok.These are the patches I have.Thanks Jim[Image Can Not Be Found]

I added this pic to the history thread.

SHOOT

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: KurtB, MagnumBoomer
Guest(s) 47
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300