Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Dan Wesson 375 Super Magnum Revolver
BlindFaith429
CT
Members
Forum Posts: 189
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 28, 2013 - 5:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey guys,

I was hoping you guys could give me a little advice. I may have a line on a Dan Wesson 375 Super Magnum. Not sure of details on it (will get more tomorrow). From what I'm told, it is a 6 or 8 inch barrel, not sure of material though (stainless or blued).

What is something like this worth? And is it even worth looking into? I'm sure 375 Super Magnum isn't very popular or common these days, so I'd prolly buy it for collector reasons.

I will report back tomorrow when I get more info. I will be able to look at the gun tomorrow. Anything I should look out for? Obviously I should check timing, flame-cutting etc.

Thanks!

And Only Time Will Tell The Ending When The Ink Runs Dry...

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
January 28, 2013 - 5:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is certainly worth looking into.  Its probablly an 8" barrel, could be either stainless or blued, depending on the shroud type.  They are a rare Dan Wesson, not many made.  They are a real blast to shoot (pardon the pun).  Ammo availability is the biggest problem.  If you don't reload, you don't have anything to shoot as its not available commercially except maybe from Reeds, but they aren't very fast at processing orders, especially now.  If you can find dies, and they are available, sometimes on Gunbroker but you can have RCBS or Redding make you a set for about $130.  You can cut down 300 Win Mag brass, that works well.  Bullets are available, Sierra is most common. 
As to value, it will depend on condition, how much its been shot, accessories, (barrel wrench, box, manual, shim tool).

Assuming just the gun in very good condition, $800-1000 has been seen on Gunbroker over the last year.  I love mine and wouldn't take less than that for them. 

Good luck! 

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

BlindFaith429
CT
Members
January 28, 2013 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, thanks for the reply. I was thinking it would be somewhere in the 500 range, maybe 600 if mint. Didn't realize they were that valuable.

Granted, Gunbroker guns do usually get a higher premium due to uninformed bidders, and people with way to much money buying stuff lol.

From what I was told, it was bought in the 80's (not sure if new or used), and hasn't been shot for the past 20 or so years. I would think it would be in great shape, but I do not know. Maybe I can snap a few pictures too.

If I were to buy it, I'd love to shoot it (seeing as it isn't NIB anymore), but I wouldn't want to shoot it allot. I love shooting my 715-FB in 357, so I'd prolly shoot that instead lol.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 28, 2013 - 6:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

.375 SM is one to get if you can, but it's a reloaders caliber to shoot, as noted, ammunition is tough to get.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
January 28, 2013 - 6:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Values are geography dependant also.  Some areas of the country, down south for example, they seem to be less expensive.  They are also more popular on the west coast.  Around my area (PA) they are few and far between and usually not cheap.  If you can get the one you are describing for 5-600 bucks I'd grab it.  Guns in general and Dan Wesson's in particular have surged in price the last few years.  $500 won't buy much more than a decent 15-2 with a few accessories anymore. 

The 375 is very controllabe and very accurate, but to get best accuracy you need to drive the bullet fast which means loading to the upper end of the spectrum.  I enjoy shooting my 375 and also enjoy the dumb founded looks on the faces of others at the range when I open up with a stout load.  Most folks don't even know what a Dan Wesson is let alone a 375 Supermag. 

Remember to post some cool-picsif you land that bad boy. We likes cool-pics  laugh

My father

My grandfather

Steve

Dans Club
January 28, 2013 - 7:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Actually, Blind Faith and I shop exactly the same gunshops, in the past year $400+ would normally get you a garden variety 15-2/715. Sounds like this is a private sale, and anything up to  $700 would be a great buy if you are reloading and able to shoot it.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
January 28, 2013 - 8:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Agree with SteveCT, anything under $700 would be a great buy.  At that price you could still resell on the net and make a few bucks if needed.

My father

My grandfather

BlindFaith429
CT
Members
January 28, 2013 - 8:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks so much for the info guys, and I will take it into consideration.

To be honest, I don't even know if I am able to buy it.

I wish I could tell the full story of the gun, but unfortunately, it will reveal too much about my job and employment that I'd rather not do at this time.

On a side note, I did contact Reed's. They said they still do offer that caliber as loaded ammo, but they are back-ordered right now. Checking their site, they are getting 33 bucks for 20 rounds. Not too bad when everything is considered, plus that it gives you brass to load after you shoot it lol.

I will update this thread tomorrow once I get more info.

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3244
January 28, 2013 - 9:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blindfaith,  I think the others have guided you to the close value of the revolver.  I may add it will be blued, unless the elusive SS model 375 really does exist, none known at this point wink.  The ammo as mentioned is the challenge.  If you do make the plunge and start to load for it, I have found much better success with the 220 grain Hornady than the 200 grain Sierra bullet offerings.  There are some that have found castings for bullets that will work in the revolver with this cartridge, but I have not tried any of these.  My best success with this cartridge has come with AA-1680 powder or H4227 (now obsolete) IMR-4227 is close and should be very comparable.  The 375 winchester brass cut to length or some of the original 375IHMSA W-W brass I have found to work the best.  Try to avoid any 30-30 Winchester brass cut down.  They are thinner casings and when loading to gain the best accuracy they either split or stick in the cylinder walls.   Good Luck.

SMF 

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5297
January 28, 2013 - 11:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like all the info is covered.  I had LBT make a mould for my 375.  It is definitely a reloader's cartridge.  I've had good luck with cutting the 375 WIN MAG brass down.  Somewhere I posted a how to thread on it.

Best Regards,

Ron

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

BlindFaith429
CT
Members
January 29, 2013 - 12:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Okay, was able to look the gun over. To say it is mint is an understatement. Very little, if any flame cutting, gun locks up solid, and the cylinder has a slight drag line.

It is blued, and according to the label, it is a "V8S" barrel. It is in fact chambered in 375 Super Magnum.

It has the original box, manual, paperwork, barrel tool and gap feeler gauge (a .006").

I took a bunch of pics on my phone, but I cannot easily get them onto here while I'm at work. I will upload them tonight.

EDIT:

Just talked to the people who own it, and me buying it is not out of the question, and in fact, there is a very good chance I will be buying it. Value was discussed, and we looked it up in an older "blue book value guide". According to the guide, it is worth right around $475 to $500. Being that I am an honest person, I did tell them that it is probably worth closer to the $700 mark, as I don't want to scam them out of money. They basically said to let them look into it and come up with a fair number. I will fill you guys in as more info comes down the line.

BlindFaith429
CT
Members
January 29, 2013 - 5:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay, got some pics for you guys. Sorry they are crappy, I took them on my cell lol.

20130129_124709.jpgImage Enlarger

20130129_124745.jpgImage Enlarger

20130129_124826.jpgImage Enlarger

20130129_124933.jpgImage Enlarger

20130129_124940.jpgImage Enlarger

20130129_125120.jpgImage Enlarger

20130129_125139.jpgImage Enlarger

Steve

Dans Club
January 29, 2013 - 6:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is a beautiful gun, V8S means Vent Rib 8" Slotted. Thank you for telling these folks up front that this gun is worth more than the quoted book value.

.375 SM is one of the less commonly seen members of the Dan Wesson family.

George Carlin

rwsem

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
January 29, 2013 - 7:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope you are able to agree on a price.  $700 is fair but I've seen them go higher.

BlindFaith429
CT
Members
January 29, 2013 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

rwsem said
I hope you are able to agree on a price.  $700 is fair but I've seen them go higher.

The way I put it to them, was that 700 is a "good price" for a sale, meaning that would be a good deal at that price point. I also told them that the 475 to 500 was low and didn't really reflect collector value. At this point, they have that information, so it's not like I said "500 sounds good cause that's what the book says".

I will let you know what they come back with for a price once I catch word back.

I am not looking to scam these people, as I said, and that is why I told them about the $700 price point. I also am letting them make an informed price, as I KNOW they will do some research on it.

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
January 29, 2013 - 9:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You are very honest, many times that pays dividends.  I hope you are able to land the revolver, you will be pleased if you do.  The fact that it has all the factory stuff makes it a nice collection piece for sure.  keep us posted.

rwsem

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
January 29, 2013 - 9:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I bought one for 750 and another for 1250 w/ dies and brass.  So, if you subtracted the price of dies and brass, 1K would be the price point.  Either way, I hope you are able to get it; if that's what you want.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11068
January 29, 2013 - 11:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I also think $700 is a fair price & commend you for offering a fair value to the seller.occasion

If you do land this one, I know you will love it. As I've said before (probably will again, too), the .375 SuperMag is one of my favorite rounds to shoot. And I can think of my favorites on two fingers.laugh  Although I don't know the true history of mine, I do know that it has digested many rounds, but shoots like it was born to do it! Plus, the previous owner gave it a killer trigger job...akin to one of those "hair triggers" you hear guys talk about. The dang thing has even surprised me a few times.embarassed Although I'm proud to say (at this point) that I haven't shot a toe off yet.big-grin LOL!

152.jpgImage Enlarger

Crap, that pic makes me yearn for SUMMER!!!

In fact, I like the .375SM round so much that I jumped on the chance when a stainless SA gun came along. The best of both worlds!cool

b67.jpgImage Enlarger

BlindFaith429
CT
Members
January 30, 2013 - 9:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay, so this thing has been on my mind non-stop now LOL

I do have 2 questions though.

1.) Can other ammo be used in this gun? For instance, a 357 Magnum revolver can shoot 357's AND 38's. Same with a gun in 44 Mag for example. Is there a smaller version of this round that is perhaps more commonly available? Or is it 375 Super Mag and that's it?

2.) Are there other barrel sizes to go with this? All of the load date I am finding references a 8" Dan Wesson for the velocities. I am also finding that the 375 Super Mag was only offered in the V8S barrel, but I cannot confirm that for sure. Did Dan Wesson make 375 Super Mag barrels in different lengths? Or is 8" the only one?

On a side note, I did come across a 40/740 Super Mag in 357 Maximum on Gun Broker last night. Bidding starts at 900 with a 950 BIN, but looks like there is no activity. I will let the owners know about this gun in case they want to reference it for when they try to come up with a price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327190229

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
January 30, 2013 - 11:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

.375 Supermag is it for this revolver.  I do not know of any other cartridge you can use in this chamber.

For BA's, I have managed to find a 6" vented and an 8" VH in roll marked Monson style originals.  I also have a custom 9-1/4" heavy that Keith made for me in CZ after I located a custom barrel.  That is all I have witnessed on the .375SM

SMF 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: stan5686
Guest(s) 55
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300