Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Compensated 445 Range Report
cdf294
Central TX
Members
Forum Posts: 394
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 25, 2009 - 8:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

After this evenings hail storm, I decided to head to the range this evening to send a few downstream, and to shoot the 7445 for the first time. Sorry Dusty, if I had your number, I would have given you a call to meet over at the range since it was one of those instantaneous decisions.

I thought I would post a new thread as several people were interested in a report on how a compensated 445 shoots.

I took the DW22 that I picked up last week for $150, the 357SM, the 744, and the 7445.

Started the evening with the 22 in an attempt to take the excitement edge off. That was short lived- we have issues on the 22. The cases were bulging and being very difficult to extract from the cylinder. I think I should try running a brush through the cylinder again, several times...maybe someone was shooting 22 shorts through this thing? After 3 cylinders full of stuck cases, I'd had enough. Thinking that was a bummer, I pulled out the 744 and loaded a cylinder full. On the last outing with Dusty Trail, we were shooting some 300gr XTP on H110 handloads which I found to be comfortable enough to shoot. Well, I ran out of 300gr XTP's and loaded some Nosler 240gr on H110. I shot one cylinder of these and my elbow started to reject the thought of another cylinder full. I messed up my elbow some time back but it has never given me trouble while shooting- until tonight's interaction with the 44. This trip to the range is starting to feel like punishment. So far, a grand total of 18-22LR and 6-44's have been shot.

As I start debating on packing up and going home, I decide to shoot the 357SM with loads that I have previously shot, knowing what to expect with these. Finally, 50rds downstream without any gun malfunctions and no unpleasant recoil or elbow problems. Hmm... 15 minutes before I get kicked off the range- let's try the 7445. By now, I have been abused by the 44 and shot 50rds. of 357max. I stare at the 445 debating on whether I was really up for that or not. After 5 minutes, I decided I needed to shoot at least 1-2 rds in order to determine if the handloads were acceptable. 30 rds. later, I've decided I like the 445. Again, no malfunctions or elbow issues, even after 30 rds.

The 445 had less recoil than the 44 magnum. I suspect part of this was due to the 4227 powder in the SuperMags (and the compensator) and the H110 in the 44 Mags.  Having said this, does anyone have a Nosler reloading manual? If so, what are you showing as a minimum charge of H110 with a 240gr JHP?   I would like to compare notes since the cheapo loading manual I used states a minimum of 23gr H110- I am getting primer flattening with this charge and it feels extremely stout compared to the 300gr XTP/H110 loads that I had previously made up. I am convinced that I have some bogus, or very old load data.                

I have never shot a 445 prior to this compensated model. I am pleased with this one but don't know that I would enjoy a non-compensated 445SM.

I Like It !!!!

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
March 25, 2009 - 8:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was thinkin' you could have alternated 445's & 44's in a cylinder & compared the difference that way, to see if those 44's are really that stout. At least I think you can run 44's in a 445 SM gun. Sorta like 38's in a 357.

Anyway, that sucks about the elbow, but it sounds like it turned out well in the end.Laugh

cdf294
Central TX
Members
March 25, 2009 - 8:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Funny you should say that Charger.

I was just sitting here debating on pulling the loads back down or sending them through the 445. Fortunately, I had enough sense not to make a large number of the 44 loads. The first rule of reloading- pay attention and wear safety glasses. The second rule- don't make large amounts of ammo until you know your gun, or your body, likes the load.

Luckily, the elbow hasn't given me many problems. It was either the skateboard wipeouts or the one motorcycle incident that created the damage years ago. As a mechanic, I've been pretty lucky not to have too many problems over the years.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

cdf294
Central TX
Members
March 25, 2009 - 9:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

And for the 3rd rule of reloading- use as many sources as possible to verify your loads.

I just figured out why these 44 loads are so stout. The loading manual I used has conflicting info and I feel the need to pull this ammo down immediately.

Apparently, I am using a compressed load. 1 source in this manual doesn't mention a compressed load and has a higher min/max charge- this is the data I used.

Elsewhere, in the same manual, I found that I am running very close to a max charge with a compressed load- even a charge smaller than I used is still a compressed load. That would certainly explain the abusive recoil exhibited. Glad I was shooting a sturdy Dan Wesson revolver, or it may have turned out very badly.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
March 25, 2009 - 9:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yep, it's funny how odd little aches & pains seem to pop up from nowhere, as we age. I've had some tendon thing going on in my right arm for the last couple years...ranges from an ache to a knife-like pain. Last weekend, the very first shot of the day was with the 357 & right away, my arm was crying foul.Surprised LOL!

I didn't care, I was there to shoot my SuperMag, dammit! 😀 It still hurts a little today, but it was worth it.

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 1044
March 25, 2009 - 9:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great report CDF - sometime when the spirit moves ya, ya gotta go! -no problem!

Too bad on the .22, but a serious reaming is probably the solution.

Real interesting on the .44 & the .445.  30 rnds no problem.  Not bad.  I like that idea of running the .44's in the SM to compare the impact of the compensator - let your elbow be the judge! 

Well written chronicle - thanks!

cdf294
Central TX
Members
March 26, 2009 - 6:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

For the sake of "load testing", I am going to go ahead and send the 44's out of the 445 to investigate just how much recoil the compensator is absorbing. I won't be shooting any more of these loads through the 744 though- this load reminded me of what I didn't like about my buddy's 44 mag Anaconda. As another testing scenario, I will make some 4227 loads to again determine whether it is a by-product of the H110 powder. If all else fails, I will go back to the 300 XTP/H110 combo since I am sitting on 2.5lbs of H110.

Should be an interesting test if nothing else. Will report back on my findings this weekend, if I can get to the range.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
March 26, 2009 - 9:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cdf294

Remember that regardless of whether the 7445 is compensated or not, the 44 mag. ammo is going to exhibit less recoil;  the 7445 is a much heavier gun than the 744 and that is what controls how much recoil is felt.  The only benefit to a compensator is reduced muzzle rise.  Remember the gun moves backward until it takes up all the slack in your palm and joints: that's the recoil.  After all of the slack is taken up is when muzzle rise occurs and that is controlled by the compensator.

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 4, 2009 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

zoommb said:

cdf294

Remember that regardless of whether the 7445 is compensated or not, the 44 mag. ammo is going to exhibit less recoil;  the 7445 is a much heavier gun than the 744 and that is what controls how much recoil is felt. 

Range report pt.2-

I decided to go back to the range today to shoot some of these brutal 44 rds. through the 445 since I wasn't about to shoot them out of the 6" 744 again.

Firstly, I have to agree with zoommb that the compensator won't do anything for recoil but will help muzzle rise. I do, however, have to respectfully disagree about the 44 exhibiting less recoil than the 445 (at least in this case)- they were still pretty darned brutal, even through the heavier 445.

Just for kicks, I loaded 3 44mags and 3 445SM into the cylinder. I spun the cylinder after loading so I would not know what I was shooting, therefore keeping an open mind about recoil.

The bottom line is that with a 44 mag with 23gr H110 under a Nosler 240 JHP, there was no noticeable difference between those and the 445SM using 27.5gr 4227 under a Sierra 250 FPJ. The recoil is extremely similar- I knew which loads had fired due to the muzzle flash of the H110, but as far as recoil goes, I couldn't determine what I had shot. The H110 powder has a noticeably different feel to the recoil than the 4227 exhibits when utilizing the same velocity specs in the loading manual. At least I was able to get 2 cylinders of these nasty 44 loads downstream tonight before the elbow started to throb.

In my testing tonight, 23gr of H110 (44) feels like 27.5 gr of 4227 (445) through the 445SM. I may have to develop some more 300grXTP loads if I wish to use up the H110 I have on hand. The 240's will now be loaded with 4227 since I have no real enjoyment with this H110 combination. I think I am just going to pull these down unless I can convince Dusty Trail that he would enjoy shooting them.Laugh

A painful day of shooting, for me, is still better than a good day at work- IMO.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
April 4, 2009 - 9:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Man, that H110 stuff sounds pretty mean!Surprised Maybe you should just save that powder for reloading rifle ammo, or just sell it to somebody.

I agree though, it's still better than a day at work.Smile

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: DakotaJack, KurtB, DA....64, Stmstan 445, racepres
Guest(s) 33
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3940