Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Bring Back DW Revolvers 2010 Campaign.
nucwarrant
Members
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 12, 2009 - 3:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I saw a related entry iin the General Forum topic.  In the current ecomomy, CZ is not going to risk investing the money to restart revolver manufacturing unless there's a solid market.  We all know how good a DW revolver is.  The problem is that there aren't enough new customers out there to make it profitable.  That's were we can help.  I'm going to try something unusual.  I will open carry my model 715 in a public place where it's legal to do so in my state.  My hope is that people will ask me why I'm doing it.  My response will be "to show off a great American product in hopes to get enough people to call DW and ask them to make more of them".  I will be preparred to do barrel changeouts in the street to show how in 5 minutes I can go from my 6" range gun to a 2.5" concealed carry.  I'll talk about their accuracy and solid construction.

Anyone else willing to try this?

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
Forum Posts: 870
December 12, 2009 - 10:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

The state where I live does not allow open carry in public Frown  I can open carry on private property Smile

However, if allowed to open carry anywhere in the state, I don't think I would in populated areas.

I think the way to get CZ/Dan Wesson back into the revolver market is through constant pressure from enthusiasts.  Got to make them realize it would be profitable.  Even if they just did special runs once a year, of a few hundred revolvers.  I could see this happening if the 1911 craziness slows down. 

-Wayne

3PPCLined.jpg

maximumload
Mondovi, Wisconsin
Members
Forum Posts: 130
December 12, 2009 - 1:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would love to see a CZ built DW as I have seen serious problems with a lot of DW's. A run of revolvers would be nice to see if they can do better than DW did. Don't get me wrong, I love my DW's. BUT, from cylinders that are full of tool marks, or needing to be refaced, because they are not true. Or the angle of the barrel to cylinder is off. And my personal favorite, recrowning and a trigger job on all DW's just to get them to group decent. And as for appearance, I have seen DW that wave HI to you because the shroud is not planned decent. The only DW's that I have ever seen with any quality control is the Norwich gun, and some of them never should have left the factory. I know with some gunsmithing and a few parts fitted correctly the DW is the gun to own. The only gun I have ever seen better than a tweaked out Dan is a Colt Python, or Anaconda and King Cobra. But that being said I have seen them, where they never should have left the factory. The moral for the story is building a quality revolver is very time consuming and time is money. And is the general public going to buy a DW 15 for 1000 dollars or the Rossi for 500 dollars. The DW is a superior design with it's interchangeable barrel system, But it comes at a price, more time and materials. Just like Colt, the cost got to high. Unless you want your DW built overseas to keep cost down. If you want the Dan to return one day, start shooting silhouette and make it popular again. Or develop a new cartridge that takes the market by storm (500 SW). Make it very profitable for them to build it and they will come!!!GoodLuck

maximumload
Mondovi, Wisconsin
Members
December 12, 2009 - 3:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is one for CZ, 445 frame that has a removable cylinders and barrels. So you can covert in minutes to another Supermag caliber. Yes one gun for the 357, 414 375 and 445. Now that will sell! If you can get a major ammunition manufacturer to start running supermag ammo again.Drool

GrayGhost
Arizona
Members
Forum Posts: 338
December 12, 2009 - 7:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

maximumload said:

Don't get me wrong, I love my DW's. BUT, from cylinders that are full of tool marks, or needing to be refaced, because they are not true. Or the angle of the barrel to cylinder is off. And my personal favorite, recrowning and a trigger job on all DW's just to get them to group decent. And as for appearance, I have seen DW that wave HI to you because the shroud is not planned decent. The only DW's that I have ever seen with any quality control is the Norwich gun, and some of them never should have left the factory.

GG

I'd better gather up all my Monsons and trade 'em in, or better yet, give them away and start my collecting all over again.poke

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
December 12, 2009 - 8:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

GrayGhost said:

maximumload said:

Don't get me wrong, I love my DW's. BUT, from cylinders that are full of tool marks, or needing to be refaced, because they are not true. Or the angle of the barrel to cylinder is off. And my personal favorite, recrowning and a trigger job on all DW's just to get them to group decent. And as for appearance, I have seen DW that wave HI to you because the shroud is not planned decent. The only DW's that I have ever seen with any quality control is the Norwich gun, and some of them never should have left the factory.

GG

I'd better gather up all my Monsons and trade 'em in, or better yet, give them away and start my collecting all over again.poke

Wow, I agree GG...I never knew that ALL my DW's were made so terribly!Surprised I'm shocked, better get rid of them all.

Gotta love it when some guy jumps in on a new forum & slams everything about the very foundation it's built on. Swell.

Full of tool marks or not, those DW's have & willl regularly outshoot most any other out of the box gun out there, plain & simple. It's a well known fact. That's most Colts included.Wink What else can one expect from a gun that cost much less than a Colt out of the box, yet was much superior in design?  Not to mention that they usually handle "maximum" loads without even flinching, unlike other brands.

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
Forum Posts: 870
December 12, 2009 - 8:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lets begin Whipping

If your Dan Wessons are only worth their value as scrap metal, you can send them to me Big Grin 

You can keep the Rossi Screwy 

Haven't seen any stormin' S&W 500 around here...Confused

-Wayne

3PPCLined.jpg

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
December 12, 2009 - 9:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Children, play nicely with each other or no more Play Dates Wink

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
December 12, 2009 - 9:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This forum was started to support the owners of DWs so its only fair that I handle the Dan Wesson Revolver Recall Program.  Below are the guidelines that your revolver must meet in order to qualify for the recall program:

1) Made at one the the following locations: Monson, MA, Palmer, MA or Norwich, NY.

2) Caliber between .22LR and .460

3) Be either Blued or Stainless

4) NIB or Used

Also covered by the recall or any parts or accessories that do not met your requirements or needs.

You can send parts and accessories to:

Dan Wesson Forum
P.O. Box 1996
Salem, VA 24153

If you want to return your revolver(s) please send me a PM so that I can forward my FFL information to you.

Seriously maximumload sounds like your experience with Dan Wesson revolvers isn't typical to the experiences most members here have had.  I have 14 or 15 Dan Wesson revolvers and the fit and finish on all of them are excellent with the exception of my model 738P which is ok. 

Steve

Dans Club
December 12, 2009 - 9:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jody, if the Recall program gets to be too much too handle, I'm sure the Moderators will (reluctantly) help out.

Seriously (for me too), I've never poked around inside any other revolver. The inside of a DW revolver can look a little clunky, with little effect on the function that I see. Virtually any general production firearm can benefit from interior clean up and polishing. DW bluing was, and is, topnotch, and the modular design put it head and shoulders above the competition in terms of value.

Anyone know what a what a 2",4",6",8" Pythons (or S&W Model 19's) sold for in 1980? And how much did a VH Pistol Pack sell for in 1980?

For what a Python would cost me today, I could have 3 DW's, with money left over to have them all tuned up by a gunsmith.

Guess that's why I'm at DWF Sign

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
December 12, 2009 - 10:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I love all my Dan Wessons, they are all very accurate and have served me well over the last 25 years.

I do remember a lot of the silhouette shooters from back then had to send their Dan Wessons back to Monson for many of those things maximuload stated...cylinder faces not square, rough chambers, etc. To Monson's credit, they fixed them all free, and once the owners got them back, they were outstanding guns forever. The talk among the steel shooters was that they had to go home to "Momma" to get them to shoot right.

Part of Dan Wesson's financial problems was that they had to build a lot of guns twice and they only got paid once for them. I can't say the percentage of guns that went back to the factory, but I know a lot of them did. Fast forward to the 21st century...many of those factory-fixed guns are the ones being sold in today's market, and they still shoot well.

I will still take every Dan Wesson I can find at a good price, they are truly great revolvers.

The Savantist

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
December 12, 2009 - 10:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Somebody better alert the buyer that dropped $900 on another one of my crappy PP's today at the gun show Wink... 

I've been inside ALL kind of guns, and believe me DW's are clean compared to a lot of them.  I've seen a few ugly marks inside a few DW's (like my project gun), but for the most part they are nicely finished.

If reliability was the key, I'd be grabbing a DW ahead of any of my S&W's or colts.... I can work on A DW with ease in the woods if I EVER needed to....

SHOOT

maximumload
Mondovi, Wisconsin
Members
December 13, 2009 - 5:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have stuck a nerve or what!!! Like I said, I LOVE MY DW'S!!! I think there quality control needed some improvement. I have a quick eye for detail ( former QC ) and I have seen defects in all major manufactures in rifles and pistols. As for reliability I have a love for a DW as they are one of the strongest guns produced. A great example of this is my model 40. It was bought off gun broker for $400.00 she came out of the L.A. firing range. This gun as more rounds than most guns will ever see in there lifetime. She had a bent frame, and so many 357 mag hot loads threw it, the cylinders have flame cutting where the mag brass ends. The finish was destroyed as it looked like they used it as a hammer. They tried to clean up the inside and cut the guides out of the frame. Guess what??? She got a few parts and some TLC and she has out shot most other 40's in 15 yard bulls eye, and has a few other 357 magnums at this too. She is hard on maxi brass as it leave a ring in it, But I just patch it for cleaning for a while and let the residue fill them in. I seriously doubt most other manufactures guns could ever be abused like this, and still competing in competition. Hats off to DW as a proven leader. But that being said I have my fathers model 15. It was bought new and never could group. It did not matter what gap or load tried. Even a trigger job and recrowning did not help it. I bought a 8 inch barrel off of gun broker. And it groups awesome, and is one of the best guns I have ever owned for grouping. Problem bad barrel, We put it on another 15 and it showed it self as a bad barrel. Now as for the new 8 inch, the shroud waves hi to you. I can say I also had a new Colt King Cobra that would make you cry, It would not touch off a round half the time, and the trigger and hammer slopped around in the frame. All have some that slip threw the cracks, I have seen more DW with few more issues than the others. And I will say it again I LOVE MY DW'S.

maximumload
Mondovi, Wisconsin
Members
December 13, 2009 - 5:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is a picture of the old girl. She is ugly, but she is my baby. The baby that is sighted in a 15 yards and groups the size of a quarter, and rings the gongs at 150 yards without touching the sight. [Image Can Not Be Found]

jaggman
Emmaus, PA
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1358
December 13, 2009 - 8:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maxi,

I guess we all need a nerve touched once in awhile. I have zero experience with any revolver brand other than DW's and I too LOVE MY DW's. 

Ed  DWF Sign

palo
Members
Forum Posts: 182
December 14, 2009 - 6:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

maximumload said:Here is one for CZ, 445 frame that has a removable cylinders and barrels. So you can covert in minutes to another Supermag caliber. Yes one gun for the 357, 414 375 and 445. Now that will sell! If you can get a major ammunition manufacturer to start running supermag ammo again.Drool

If you have $15K laying around, this may be the closest that you can currently get.

http://www.jtl.de/english/revolver/revolver_e.htm

Mini Gun

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3243
December 14, 2009 - 7:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is a cool looking system there Palo.  Never heard of them,  Neat link

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
December 14, 2009 - 10:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

maximumload said:Here is one for CZ, 445 frame that has a removable cylinders and barrels. So you can covert in minutes to another Supermag caliber. Yes one gun for the 357, 414 375 and 445. Now that will sell! If you can get a major ammunition manufacturer to start running supermag ammo again.

I think this would be a very cool idea however I don't see how a company could bring a product like this to market due to the current political climate in the US.  

I've seen the picture below and it looks pretty cool!

maximumload
Mondovi, Wisconsin
Members
December 14, 2009 - 4:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cz could keep cost down buy selling it like a contender. Say you buy the gun in your choice of caliber for say 850.00 to 1000.00. And a conversion barrel and cylinder of your choice for say 350 to 450.Drool

Steve

Dans Club
December 14, 2009 - 11:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'd be real concerned with the possibility of a barrel/cylinder mismatch.

George Carlin

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 25
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912