Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Blued 715, tell me about it
WJDW
Members
Forum Posts: 20
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1919
August 22, 2018 - 5:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Joe & welcome back to the forum.

Your new DW is a model 15-2, not a 715. The 7 in the model number designates stainless versus a 15-2 which is the blued version.

It sure looks nice and condition is important to value. A 15-2 is likely to bring $400 - $600 for the gun alone as pictured. Any extras such as box, tools etc. will increase value. These numbers can vary a lot depending on the area of the country where the gun is being sold. You could try checking completed sales on Gunbroker to get a better idea.

It's not particularly rare, so not much value on that score. However, all DW's are steadily increasing in value and some recent sales have been surprising.

They are made to shoot, so enjoy and give us a range report when you can.

Enjoy.

WJDW
Members
August 22, 2018 - 6:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Thanks, Snake, but the gun is stamped 715, not 15-2, and I believe the 715 designation refers to the newer SS guns made by CZ, but there are older 715's like mine from the 70's and 80's that were finished in blue. So I am a bit confused. Also, I would note that checking GB for listings, there are NO 715's offered for sale except for SS ones. I did find one 715 blue on Guns America that has since been sold.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/986755914/Dan-Wesson-357-target.htm

Perhaps you can elaborate.

Thank you.

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
August 22, 2018 - 6:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joe, That's unique. I've never heard of a DW being "stamped" with 715. When you receive the gun, it would be a big help if you would take some pics showing this "stamp". Anything could happen and if so, you may have a truly rare gun.

Please note that the 15-2 models were not "stamped" as such. DW stopped stamping model designations on their revolvers in the 70's.

Pics would be great!

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3371
August 22, 2018 - 7:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joe Wisk said
There are older 715's like mine from the 70's and 80's that were finished in blue. 

Ummm, I don't believe so. Where specifically is this stamped "715" located ?

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
August 22, 2018 - 9:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

According to the Serial Number, that is a 15-2 made in 1979. A Monson 715 definitely would not have that type S/N. It may have been incorrectly sold or transferred as a 715.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
Forum Posts: 2311
August 23, 2018 - 7:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve said
According to the Serial Number, that is a 15-2 made in 1979. A Monson 715 definitely would not have that type S/N. It may have been incorrectly sold or transferred as a 715.

Exactly!

To the paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers:

if you find one...what's your plan?

WJDW
Members
August 24, 2018 - 1:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

delete

What would be a good price for one

*** Image attachment removed from post content ***

Stinger
Members
August 25, 2018 - 7:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joe Wisk said
I do not see a model number at all. I was under the impression that the Model 15 and 15-2, while blued, were half lugged, not full.  

Model numbers were only on the early production frames. Model 15 is the first generation design, then the 15-1 and finally the third gen is 15-2. Since barrel assemblies can be easily changed, they do not officially become part of the model number, but do have a designation nomenclature themselves. A 'Standard' shroud has a solid rib and regular underlug, which is referred to by no designation letter. The 'Vented' shroud is designated with a "V" vented rib with regular underlug. The "Heavy" (H) shroud has a solid rib with a full underlug and finally the "Vented Heavy" (VH) has both vented rib with full underlug.

WJDW
Members
August 25, 2018 - 2:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stinger said

Joe Wisk said
I do not see a model number at all. I was under the impression that the Model 15 and 15-2, while blued, were half lugged, not full.  

Model numbers were only on the early production frames. Model 15 is the first generation design, then the 15-1 and finally the third gen is 15-2. Since barrel assemblies can be easily changed, they do not officially become part of the model number, but do have a designation nomenclature themselves. A 'Standard' shroud has a solid rib and regular underlug, which is referred to by no designation letter. The 'Vented' shroud is designated with a "V" vented rib with regular underlug. The "Heavy" (H) shroud has a solid rib with a full underlug and finally the "Vented Heavy" (VH) has both vented rib with full underlug.  

Thanks for the clarification. I am getting both the H model and the VH model. Is there a difference in value/desirability/performance?

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
August 26, 2018 - 9:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joe,

There is no difference in performance.

Value and desirability are pretty heavily intertwined. My experience is that the VH shrouds are the most desirable and so will command a premium over the other shroud styles. However the H is rising in popularity and seems to be harder to find, so may eclipse the VH in value. If I understand your post, you are purchasing both guns, so you have probably the 2 top values in available styles for the 15-2. But remember that opinions change and so the values will fluctuate. 

The major thing to consider between the two guns pictured is that the first one (the H gun) has the dreaded scratches on the left side of the frame on the side plate and so is definitely not a 99% finish condition. luckily, you can remove the side plate and have it refinished but that is of course an added expense. If the scratches are not too deep it may cost less than $100 for the refinish. I recommend Ford's Guns in Crystal River, Florida   https://www.fordsguns.com/

These scratches are caused by the ejector star.  When you eject rounds it is important to hold the cylinder away from the frame until the ejection process is complete and the star has completely retracted to the cylinder. It only takes a moment of inattention to screw up a side plate. I know this from experience.

Assuming that the grips are original to the guns, they are early production, as evidenced by the DWA medallions. Later production medallions are DW only. Of course the grips are interchangeable so this is not a deciding factor.

The guns look very nice to me, with the exception of the scratched side plate on one. 

I'm guessing that your LGS is not very knowledgeable about DW's or they would not be labeled as "715" so you may get a good deal on them. 

Good luck and let us know how you do.

WJDW
Members
August 27, 2018 - 9:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

snake-eye said
Joe,

There is no difference in performance.

Value and desirability are pretty heavily intertwined. My experience is that the VH shrouds are the most desirable and so will command a premium over the other shroud styles. However the H is rising in popularity and seems to be harder to find, so may eclipse the VH in value. If I understand your post, you are purchasing both guns, so you have probably the 2 top values in available styles for the 15-2. But remember that opinions change and so the values will fluctuate. 

The major thing to consider between the two guns pictured is that the first one (the H gun) has the dreaded scratches on the left side of the frame on the side plate and so is definitely not a 99% finish condition. luckily, you can remove the side plate and have it refinished but that is of course an added expense. If the scratches are not too deep it may cost less than $100 for the refinish. I recommend Ford's Guns in Crystal River, Florida   https://www.fordsguns.com/

These scratches are caused by the ejector star.  When you eject rounds it is important to hold the cylinder away from the frame until the ejection process is complete and the star has completely retracted to the cylinder. It only takes a moment of inattention to screw up a side plate. I know this from experience.

Assuming that the grips are original to the guns, they are early production, as evidenced by the DWA medallions. Later production medallions are DW only. Of course the grips are interchangeable so this is not a deciding factor.

The guns look very nice to me, with the exception of the scratched side plate on one. 

I'm guessing that your LGS is not very knowledgeable about DW's or they would not be labeled as "715" so you may get a good deal on them. 

Good luck and let us know how you do.  

Thanks for the info. The scratches appear worse in the photos than they actually are. I'm not inclined to have it refinished, but the website info may be useful someday. I have both guns on layaway and will give a range report when I finally secure them. I like the looks of the VH shroud but wondering if strictly cosmetic or does it help performance or function in anyway?

Stinger
Members
August 27, 2018 - 10:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joe Wisk said
I like the looks of the VH shroud but wondering if strictly cosmetic or does it help performance or function in anyway?  

The immediate benefits might be additional shroud rigidity and additional weight to help offset recoil.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 38
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3908
Stinger: 3371