Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
744 Shroud Poorly Drilled Port Holes
Rex Beachmont
South Florida
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 197
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 21, 2019 - 1:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

hi guys. Im in a bit of a pickle. I sold this 6" 744 shroud assembly, but the buyer just sent me pics of the two oblong ported openings and they're not only poorly drilled and squared which I've seen before on these, but they're also a little misaligned when seen from the top. Is this something that could have been factory made?  Do people really go about drilling port holes themselves at home? Thanks for any answers.

My Baby Lets Me Do What I Want 

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3879
July 21, 2019 - 7:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The "Power Ports" are useless anyway. They hare used with the ported barrel tube that has 6 holes near the muzzle. The holes don't line up with the ports. As far as pooply drilled, I think that doesn't matter. They are not noticeable except looking from the top. If the are used with a ported barrel tube you should only use jacketed bullets and the shroud still needs to be scrubbed out at least every 50 rounds or the shroud will virtually fuse with the barrel. I wish you had a picture. I suspect the buyer has remorse. 

Rex Beachmont
South Florida
Members

DWF Supporters
July 21, 2019 - 8:05 am

IMG_3940.JPGImage Enlarger

Thanks Ole Dog. Actually, the buyer wants to keep it because it's apparently a harder to find item these days and I'm refunding part of his money or it's negative feedback! These are the pics he sent me of the holes. I could only take pics of the screenshot with my phone. Question is: do you ever see poorly finished factory openings like these? I've got pictures below of an 8" with the openings not quite square, but the ones on the shroud l sold l hadn't noticed before and they do look rough..IMG_3939.JPGImage Enlarger

Rex Beachmont
South Florida
Members

DWF Supporters
July 21, 2019 - 8:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IMG_3943.JPGImage Enlarger

IMG_3944.JPGImage Enlarger
IMG_3946.JPGImage Enlarger
Here I've got pics of my 8" shroud showing similar uneven port finishing. 

Rex Beachmont
South Florida
Members

DWF Supporters
July 21, 2019 - 11:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IF ANYONE ELSE CAN POST PICS OF THEIRS IT'D BE GREAT!  Would like to see if its an abnormality or not.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5269
July 22, 2019 - 8:24 pm

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Rex Beachmont
South Florida
Members

DWF Supporters
July 23, 2019 - 3:16 pm

I knew it. l refunded some money over the issue. Feel like a damn fool being caught at a disadvantage and  taking crap from the buyer accusing me of tampering with it even after assuring that l wouldn't do such a thing  and that I have seen it before  and not an issue to call attention to. I also found yet another pic showing the same drilling pattern.  Thanks for the help!

Rex Beachmont
South Florida
Members

DWF Supporters
rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5269
July 23, 2019 - 8:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Remember, when these shrouds were made there wasn't EDM or CNC...

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Rex Beachmont
South Florida
Members

DWF Supporters
July 23, 2019 - 8:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Exactly, and it shows. Also, were all the .44 mag 744 shrouds ported, like l think they were?  Einstein berated me for not specifying that it was a ported shroud in the listing.

LeonardC
Members
Forum Posts: 184
July 27, 2019 - 5:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I never paid any attention to the quality of the porting until this thread.

First DW .44 {blue} I saw after they came out.  8V with ported shroud.  The right side port has a wavy cut.

4VH shroud {blue} (ported) & barrel (non ported).  The right side port has a wavy cut. I don't know if I spec. it with that barrel or that's just the way they came.  Note the box has brown ink an a blue label and box top is brown.  This was bought shortly after the above gun.

6VH shroud {blue} (ported) & barrel (non ported).  The left side port is wavy.  This was bought as "NOS" long after DW folded.  The box has 744-VH6 (PC) in blue ink on a blue label and the box is brown on top.  Unit came wrapped in Ludlow Rust Inhibitor 1979 April paper.  Seems new, unused, in wrong box.

I bought a 44 Combat grip at the same time as the 4VH shroud package above.  It came in a white box with brown ink on a blue label.

Earlier I bought a Sacramento grip for small frame revolvers.  It came in a box with brown top and brown ink on a white label.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3879
July 28, 2019 - 9:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think that irregularity happens because of the curved shape of the shroud at that point and the jig that is probably used to drill the ports. There will be no charge for NOT taking my advice this time. My advice is free if you take it and I charge triple if you don't take it. At least that is my future business model. I expect to make a fortune since no one EVER takes my advice. Actually, my World famous chemical engineer Grandfather invented that business plan in the 60s as he started consulting after manditory retirement at age 65 from Toms River Chemical in New Jersey. He was one of the foremost aniline dye experts. It was a joke of his. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Dan Fan, DA....64, 3ric
Guest(s) 37
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3879
Stinger: 3360