Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
744 oversized cylinder cannot be salvaged according to Bob at DW
Andrew1220
Members
Forum Posts: 718
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 5, 2018 - 1:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

So a quick backstory, I had a case head separation last month in my Palmer 744.

23.5 gr H110
.431" 240 gr Zero JSP
Remington brass that has been fired many times. Unsure of the amount.

Recoil was normal. Didn’t even know it happened until I was done shooting and the case head was sticking out at angle.
The chambers are very rough which didn’t help. The brass gets stuck in the chamber and cannot move back against the frame.

So I decided to send it to Bob for reaming/honing. Just got off the phone with Bob. "Is this Andrew? I got some bad news with your revolver"

Apparently he cannot salvage my cylinder. He says the cylinders are already oversized and if he were to ream/hone them, it would be even worse.

He thinks someone previously reamed the cylinders and didn't do the best job. He also said the throats on a couple of the cylinders were slightly oversized. Says these all could play a role in the case head separation.

So the bad news was that he said with parts (not just the cylinder needs to be replaced) labor and shipping I'm looking at $310!!! OUCH. This is the worst time to be spending that kind of money. He said the only good news is that it will be 4+ weeks before he gets around to it so that might give me time to save up some $. Ugh.

I'm actually surprised he said it was oversized and not undersized. I had a hell of a time hammering a bullet through the cylinder a couple months ago when I was trying to figure out if a jacketed .431" would work in this gun. Hopefully Bob isn't lying to try and get some quick money out of me....

I've shot probably 1,000+ rounds without any problems aside from that one separation.

He says he replaces probably a dozen cylinders a year. Damn this sucks especially near Christmas...

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3372
December 5, 2018 - 2:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Andrew1220 said
Hopefully Bob isn't lying to try and get some quick money out of me....

With 4+ weeks of backlog service work, I seriously doubt it very much. The integrity of the Dan Wesson factory and their employees have been exemplary in all my dealings. CZ not so much.

Andrew1220
Members
December 5, 2018 - 3:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stinger said

Andrew1220 said
Hopefully Bob isn't lying to try and get some quick money out of me....

With 4+ weeks of backlog service work, I seriously doubt it very much. The integrity of the Dan Wesson factory and their employees have been exemplary in all my dealings. CZ not so much.  

Yeah I doubt it too. I guess I'm just a little sour/frustrated after hearing the news...

Doesn't seem like a common problem from what I can gather on the interwebs.

Stinger
Members
December 5, 2018 - 6:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Andrew1220 said
Doesn't seem like a common problem from what I can gather on the interwebs.  

It isn't a common problem, because it was caused by a previous owner or gunsmith, which is probably why it was sold. You yourself said "the chambers are very rough" and Bob said "the cylinders are already oversized".

Maybe you could bore the cylinder out for a .45 Long Colt and buy a new .45 caliber barrel tube?

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3910
December 5, 2018 - 7:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Stinger, that is a great idea! May even be able to recoup the value of repairs. DW large frame can handle those Buffalo Bore loads. Or shoot cowboy loads. Have it cut for moon clips and have more options. Rowland 460, 45 Super, 45 Win Mag, 45 acp. 

Get an unmarked  shroud from EWK or have it marked 45 Colt. 

Andrew1220
Members
December 5, 2018 - 7:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stinger said

It isn't a common problem, because it was caused by a previous owner or gunsmith, which is probably why it was sold. You yourself said "the chambers are very rough" and Bob said "the cylinders are already oversized".

Maybe you could bore the cylinder out for a .45 Long Colt and buy a new .45 caliber barrel tube?  

Doh! That’s right lol2 

It shoots well so hopefully all it needs is a fresh cylinder and it’s good for a long long time!

Did DW ever have 45 cal revolvers? Just reminded me, I should definitely tell Bob to ship the old parts with the gun so I can maybe sell them and recoup some bit of money. 

Andrew1220
Members
December 5, 2018 - 8:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

While it’s with Bob I told him to take a look at the action. It’s fairly hard to cock the hammer. Almost like it hits a wall just before it cocks completely. Bob said it may be really dirty inside or it may need new springs. He hasn’t taken a good look at the internals yet. I’ll find out next month when he works on it. 

I have a Monson 715 that’s really easy to cock the hammer. Wasn’t sure with the large frame guns, if the larger moving parts creates more resistance? Thoughts?

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
December 5, 2018 - 8:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DW did make a 45 long Colt as well as the 460 Rowland, both not super common.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5287
December 6, 2018 - 5:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

They look like:

DSC01233.JPGImage Enlarger

Got as close to duplicate SN#s as I could...

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Andrew1220
Members
December 6, 2018 - 7:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just sent an email to Bob asking if I can get the cylinder unfluted. That would be nice if I could since I’m spending all this money. It would look really cool I think. 

Andrew1220
Members
December 6, 2018 - 7:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

rwsem said
They look like:

DSC01233.JPGImage Enlarger

Got as close to duplicate SN#s as I could...  

Damn that is cool! That’s got to be quite rare. Had no idea they made them in 45LC. 

Stinger
Members
December 6, 2018 - 8:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Andrew1220 said
Had no idea they made them in 45LC.   

That is why I made the suggestion .. they got the skills and the parts. Spare Parts may even have a correctly etched shroud. Would be a cool upgrade.

Andrew1220
Members
December 6, 2018 - 9:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stinger said

That is why I made the suggestion .. they got the skills and the parts. Spare Parts may even have a correctly etched shroud. Would be a cool upgrade.  

Would be cool but I have no desire to get into 45LC. Money is super tight as well. 

Andrew1220
Members
December 6, 2018 - 11:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bob just confirmed with me that he has unfluted cylinders in stock! He asked me if I wanted one and I said YESS! of course!

That will help ease the pain 

Stinger
Members
LeonardC
Members
Forum Posts: 184
December 6, 2018 - 3:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As to changing the caliber from 44 to 45LC:  I thought in the small frames the barrel/frame connection, threads/shank size?, is different between calibers so folks can not install a wrong barrel tube onto a frame.  Is this not true of the large frames?  

Andrew1220
Members
December 6, 2018 - 4:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

LeonardC said
As to changing the caliber from 44 to 45LC:  I thought in the small frames the barrel/frame connection, threads/shank size?, is different between calibers so folks can not install a wrong barrel tube onto a frame.  Is this not true of the large frames?    

Good point. I'm not sure about that.

willy
Ohio

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 831
Stinger
Members
December 7, 2018 - 7:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

LeonardC said

Correct .. that is a 'gotcha' with my idea and somewhat problematic, for the end user.

Not for the factory. 

Andrew1220
Members
December 18, 2018 - 2:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just got my tracking number for the revolver. Be here Thursday! Can't wait!

Also just got off the phone with Bob and he said they have less than 30 of these unfluted cylinders left and once they're gone and they're gone forever. He says it would be a big undertaking to get a dedicated CNC machine and write a new program etc just for these cylinders. Pretty cool to get one of these.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: jertex
Guest(s) 52
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3910
Stinger: 3372