Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
715 Gold?
jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
Forum Posts: 251
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 10, 2020 - 3:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A guy within driving distance has a 715 Gold series for trade or sale and I'm interested, but I have no idea what these should sell for and therefore no idea what to offer. Here is a pic, it looks to be in excellent condition. Thoughts?

3129513.jpgImage Enlarger

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

willy
Ohio

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 831
March 10, 2020 - 8:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have two blue ones, I understand that the stainless one are more rare. Not sure about value, if it was on auction I would overpay for it, 1500 range.

hugelk
Northern Illinois
Members
Forum Posts: 392
March 10, 2020 - 11:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Jertex,

There were  minor differences in the Gold Series during the manufacturing period. Some had gold plated triggers. Some had the " Gold series" filled with gold paint. Most had a white triangle rear sight and a patridge style front sight. 8" and 6" were sold. They were supposed to have lighter trigger pull that a std 15-2 but I have several DWs with much nicer triggers. I dont think the grips on the one you are considering are original to gun. The DWA grips preceded the time period of the Gold by several years.

I have a blue one that I bought a year ago. Price range would be between 1000-1500 depending on condition and extras. Go get it !!!

Hugelk

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
March 10, 2020 - 11:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

A130DAE9-B9DB-4284-9D27-A1E6229DC117.jpegImage Enlarger

Is there any way to know definitively that this is a Gold Series & not just a 715 with a gold series shroud? Here is the other side w S/N.

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1920
March 11, 2020 - 9:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The shroud has a Palmer roll mark while the frame is Monson. I don't know if the Gold Series was a Palmer frame or a Monson frame, but that may be a clue.

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
March 11, 2020 - 9:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

snake-eye said
The shroud has a Palmer roll mark while the frame is Monson. I don't know if the Gold Series was a Palmer frame or a Monson frame, but that may be a clue.  

I'm not sure how you can tell a Palmer roll mark on the shroud. Is it the Dan Wesson signature on the lug?

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
March 11, 2020 - 10:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I see from comparing other guns pictured on the forum. It appears that all the Monson guns have Dan Wesson Arms roll marked on the right side lug over the 357 magnum ctg mark.

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

hugelk
Northern Illinois
Members
Forum Posts: 392
March 11, 2020 - 11:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good Morning,

The ones I have seen in person (3} and in pics have had SN with the 357 prefix and as such do not have recessed cylinders. The cylinders have the raised ridge on the outer perimeter. For some reason my first thought was a standard frame with a Gold marked shroud.

Remember, There are no absolutes when dealing with Dan Wesson guns. Like most manufactures they used what they had on hand and transition guns could have mixed parts.

Let the price be your guide. 

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
March 11, 2020 - 2:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

jertex said

I'm not sure how you can tell a Palmer roll mark on the shroud. Is it the Dan Wesson signature on the lug?  

The Monson shrouds have a 2 line stamped roll mark. First line = Dan Wesson Arms  2nd line = 357 Magnum CTG (etc)

Palmer has only 1 line stamped with the caliber like the Monson.

Norwich has one line laser etched with the caliber.

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
March 11, 2020 - 2:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

EWK shrouds generally have 1 line stamped with caliber, looking similar to Palmer, but not exactly. They can also be blank.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3910
March 11, 2020 - 7:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hugelk is very knowledgeable about Gold Series. I lucked into one and have promised to sell it to him if I sell it before I pass on. Lol I will probable leave it to him in my will. 

Okay, what is it? The serial number indicates it is not a Gold Series. They were made when the caliber started the serial number, 357. Mine is a blue one with blued trigger and hammer but they are high polish. The grips are not original. They came with very nice smooth zebras in a plastic case that had a metal plate saying Gold Series. Yes a triangle on the rear sight. Mine does not have any better trigger than other 15-2s but it is unfired. They were made from the end of the Monson period through Palmer. Those made in early 1991,would be Monson frames but it is common for those 1991 guns to have Palmer shrouds. The signiture on the shroud is correct. I would put the value at 850 to 1000. The slotted shroud and zebra add about 200 to the going price for a 715 IMHO. 

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
March 12, 2020 - 9:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Thanks for all of the information, everyone. In my exchanges with the seller, I explained why his gun probably isn't a gold series & he acknowledges that it doesn't have any of the characteristics that have been stated here and that he should change his listing, however, he hasn't changed it yet and he says he will try to get $1,200 for it.

Edit: the ad has been completely removed. That's good news as I would hate for someone to buy the revolver thinking that they were getting a gold series. 

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
March 21, 2020 - 10:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unfortunately, even though the guy removed the ad, he relisted it again as a gold series, but this time he listed in a completely different region of the state and is asking $1,500. I'm sad to see that he lived up to my initial expectations, and I'm not surprised.

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: wilburjoe, DA....64
Guest(s) 63
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300