Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
445 IHMSA NIB unfired. What's it worth ?
threedogs
Members
Forum Posts: 14
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 2, 2008 - 6:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Guys, 

I just charged $1999.00 to my credit card to buy an 445S - IHMSA - 012 in the original box and unfired. It was found at an estate sale by a dealer on Guns America. I bought it because it has Dan Wessons name inscribed on the left side of the shroud, and I thought Dan himself signed the gun, but now I understand he died in 1978, and the 445's were produced after his death. Am I right about this ? It's a  beautiful gun, but if Dan didn't personally sigh it, I don't think it's worth $2000.

I wish I could post pictures here. The gun is an SS 8" vented. Serial # 012, made in Monson with a trigger job and all papers.  I haven't had the gun shipped to my FFL yet, so I'm hoping to hear from someone who can give me their input.

Thank you.  

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
Forum Posts: 870
May 2, 2008 - 11:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is difficult to say what the true value of the IHMSA guns are.  There are currently two others on Guns America, one priced at $1700 and the other at $950 - both are used and are both blued steel finish.  Since the serial number of these rovolvers matched the IHMSA member's membership number, the guns are more unique than a run of the mill 445 SuperMag.  This alone should cause these (IHMSA) Dan Wessons to realise a higher value.  So, is it worth $2k?  With so few of them on the market I think the seller can set the price.  I would say, if you are happy with your purchase, then yes it is probably worth what you paid.

If you look across the row of icons at the top of where you type your post, there is a green and brown icon (right of center) that looks like a tree.  Click on it to add a picture to your post.

I would be interested in seeing that signature that is on the shroud.

Wayne

3PPCLined.jpg

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
May 2, 2008 - 12:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Threedogs, If you have issues with the pictures email them to files@danwessonforum.com and I will post them for you.

Jody

threedogs
Members
May 2, 2008 - 3:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I went ahead with the purchase. I spoke with the gentleman who is handling the sale who said Dan Wesson's name is on the shroud, but looks like a facsimile. I would imagine every 445 of that era would be the same. 

I am happy with the purchase. I've only recently looked into DW, and this is my first purchase. Yes, $2000 is very top dollar, but I feel it's worth it especially since I don't intend to fire this gun. I don't know how many unfired 445 Monson's there are left, but I'll bet there aren't many. 

I sent some pictures to Jody, who will post them for me. I think you will agree I bought a sweetheart.......now I need to find a 445 I can actually shoot.

Best regards..

Tom 

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
May 2, 2008 - 4:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tom,

This is one beautiful revolver.  I personally would have a hard time not shooting it Tongue out  Here are the pictures you sent me.  I'm sure everyone will enjoy seeing this one.

threedogs
Members
May 2, 2008 - 5:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey Jody.....

Great job (!)  Sure, I say I'm not going to shoot her now.....but who am I kiddingWink  The minute I saw the pics I had to buy her.Tongue out Although I haven't shot a gun in many moons, I started shooting when I was 5. At the tender age of 18, I was in the top 1 percentile of shooters in the Marine Corps. I also shot with the FCSA ( Fifty Caliber Shooting Association when Skip Talbot was alive....man he could shoot ) , but no guns anymore for me except a custom 338WM on a Dakota action ( half minute )  and a * beautiful * 25/284 with a full 34 " SS Shilen match bull barrel ( 1/4 minute honest )   

So, I'm an old handloader who hasn't shot in many years, but I can see the DW's are very worthy, and I'm glad I stumbled on them. Thanks for your help, and thanx for saying how beautiful my 445 is........ because I'm certain she can shoot as well as she looks : ) 

Thank you again.......and have a great day (!)

Tom 

wyraider
wyoming
Members
Forum Posts: 10
May 3, 2008 - 10:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ya, I was supposed to get that one for $950 and the day they got my money funny thing is the price went up  $1100. Small world. Any way I got an Alaskan a couple hours later for $850 elsewhere. Not ot burst your bubble just adding my two cents.Gotta watch those guys over there at campsite sometimes a deal isn't a deal.

threedogs
Members
May 4, 2008 - 5:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Quote :Not ot burst your bubble just adding my two cents.Gotta watch those guys over there at campsite sometimes a deal isn’t a deal. 

I know what you mean. The guy I'm dealing with doesn't seem very interested in selling it, even though I offered their asking price. They could have shipped to my FFL on Friday, but I was told it would be shipped on Monday. I checked with my CC company to see if the gun was charged, but nothing charged yet.Undecided  

My sixth sense tells me something isn't quite right. I sent them an email yesterday asking for a return email confirmation that the gun is sold to me, but nothing back yet. I looked on Guns America and there is a sold notice on the listing pending sellers notification.

I honestly don't intend to shoot this gun. I think the rarity is it's never been fired ( except for possible testing by DW) and I want to preserve that. I'll bet it's possible the only unfired ( I have a 3 day inspection return ) revolver of it's kind in the world......so that would make it very rare.

I'm looking for a 445 Alaskan to actually shoot, so if anyone know's where I can buy one ( preferably not CZ ) please let me know. 

threedogs
Members
May 4, 2008 - 5:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Quote :  Ya, I was supposed to get that one for $950 and the day they got my money funny thing is the price went up  $1100. 

Wyraider......WAIT A MINUTE :

Are you telling me that YOU were going to guy the same gun for $995 ??? then the price went up to $1100 ??? Please let me know right away. When did you try to buy it ?? Who did you deal with ? I was told the gun * just * got in from an estate sale....

wyraider
wyoming
Members
Forum Posts: 10
May 4, 2008 - 11:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

No the price went up to $1999 from $950. CZ isn't making em as of a couple months ago anyway. I called and they said they dont have a pistolsmith as of yet, but are working on it.

threedogs
Members
May 6, 2008 - 1:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's the end of the story. I've been in contact with wyraider threw email. I have a better understanding of what happened. I sent the seller an email telling them I'm not going threw with the transaction, but they sent the gun anyway. I told my FFL to refuse delivery and have it returned to Campsite sports shop. I didn't feel right about this deal. Something just felt wrong, and besides $2000 for the gun is just crazy.

The guns back on Guns America without a picture ( very curious ) so now I will see if they give me a full credit or not. I'm sure they are mad at me, but I simply didn't feel good about the deal.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 41
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377