Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
.414 Supermag
IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 16, 2009 - 5:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Went to our regular silhouette practice Friday and took some old friends...a few Dan Wessons. I have a busy couple of days, so I will post a range report later. Just a teaser pic of one of them that went along for some steel fun.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

A pic of our range with a partial setup of targets.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

The Savantist

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3246
May 16, 2009 - 7:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IHMSA,

Eager to hear about the range report when you get the time.  You positively have an art at keeping your shooting irons looking like they were built yesterday and are safe queens.  We know different but they look that way.  If we ever get our new factory started you need to be the range tester and quality control team leader!  Thanks for sharing again! Cool Pics

SMF

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11068
May 18, 2009 - 10:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Look at that cool, well manicured range!Surprised That looks like a fantastic place to spend a day.Smile

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 1044
May 18, 2009 - 11:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SMF, I think you are running a very close second to IHMSA in the "quality of photo" department.

Between the two of you guys I am in a constant state of "eyegasm"...which is fine with me!!  Cool

...uh...can I say that Steve?

Mars
Members
Forum Posts: 67
landpanther1
WNC
Members
Forum Posts: 253
May 18, 2009 - 5:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
IHMSA80x80
Members
May 18, 2009 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Supermagfan said:

IHMSA,

If we ever get our new factory started you need to be the range tester and quality control team leader!   

SMF

Hmmm...that is something I could really get into. When do I start?

In the mean time, just for prepare myself for the new job, how about all of you send me your Dan Wessons to test? With ammo, of course.

The Savantist

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
May 18, 2009 - 6:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very cool looking range and as always a very cool picture of your DW!

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11068
May 18, 2009 - 7:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IHMSA80x80 said:

In the mean time, just for prepare myself for the new job, how about all of you send me your Dan Wessons to test? With ammo, of course.

Crap, wouldn't you know it...I just discovered that every firing pin I have is broken!Surprised Man, this is gonna take months to get this mess straightened out. I'll get back to you on that offer.Wink         lol2

IHMSA80x80
Members
May 19, 2009 - 5:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It just so happens I have a supply of Dan Wesson firing pins...go ahead and send them!

The Savantist

IHMSA80x80
Members
May 19, 2009 - 7:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's a couple of closeups of the range set for a full match. Right-click the pic and open to a new tab or window to see the full size.

This shows the Big Bore turkeys at 150 meters and rams at 200 meters, including the Half-Size targets. The ones in front of the large rams are shootoffs, for breaking ties.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

This shows the .22LR turkeys at 75 yards and rams at 100 yards on the left side, and the Field Pistol targets on the right. The tiny targets above them are 1/5th scale, we call them Runts.

Image Enlarger

The Savantist

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
May 19, 2009 - 8:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sure is a nice range. Drool  It has me wanting to get back in IHMSA, but it's just not in the cards right now. The pics are great but make the targets look deceptively close. I have to grin at most pistol shooters who think 50 feet is a long way to shoot a handgun.

My range is not near as impressive but I will try to get some pics eventually. Just for laughs.

Cool Pics keep em comming.

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

IHMSA80x80
Members
May 19, 2009 - 11:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I especially enjoy the rifle shooters who think you can't hit anything with a pistol past 25 yards. It's always fun to quietly lay down next to them (as they sneer at you and your weird shooting position) and then proceed to out-shoot them at their distances.

The Savantist

IHMSA80x80
Members
May 20, 2009 - 3:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Range report...

Friday was a nice day to shoot, temp about 81 for the high. Along with my usual assortment of bolt-action and single-shot guns for silhouette, I brought a few revolvers to play with. My 6" Diamondback .22LR got a short workout just plinking away at the .22 targets...good way to warm up.

In between the silhouette practice with the usual suspects, I shot a few Dan Wessons. The Palmer, 1-of-25 .414 Supermag as seen above was one of them. Those Hornady 210 grain JTC-SIL bullets sure take the rams down with authority. But, as always, the gun spits more than I like. Thanks to this forum, and all you guys, I now know Keith will work on the old DW's and does a good job. I will call him sometime, explain the problems, then send this one and the nickel .357 Supermag in to adjust the timing. It kinda scares me to let that one out of my sight.

Next I dug out the 10" SS .41 Magnum silhouette version, and it was like old friends being reunited...I hadn't shot this gun in a few years, but it didn't let me down. Oh, I missed a few here and there. While most of my XP's have trigger pulls of 6 ounces or less, it takes some getting used to a 2-pound trigger, but if I did my job correctly, I was rewarded with a satisfying "CLANG". Revolvers are hard to shoot well in this game, so it means more when you accomplish something with them.

Last up was the big .445 Supermag Silhouette. This thing is a brute, but dang fun to shoot. It left no doubt to it's effectiveness by slamming those targets down. And it is substantially louder than the others. Each pull of the trigger brought a smile to my face...man, this sure is fun to shoot! I had some 300 grain loads to test, but by then, my eyes were melting down my face, so I will save them til next session.

Oh, BTW...I took LOTS of pics of all 3 guns. Range Time

The Savantist

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
May 21, 2009 - 8:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IHMSA80x80 said:

Oh, BTW…I took LOTS of pics of all 3 guns. Range Time

Guys, look for IHMSA80x80 new photo's in the banner plus you can visit his Collections Page to see larger versions.

Great looking photos!

Tigger
Wester New York
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 363
May 23, 2009 - 8:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been to Dean's range and shot with him. It's a great set up, and Dean is a cool guy. I especially like the automatic reset targets.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
~Thomas Jefferson~

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: KurtB, M Yaworski, Stmstan 445
Guest(s) 39
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3933