Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
375 Supermag Range Day
Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3246
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 8, 2009 - 6:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As mentioned in the firing range yesterday I went to the range for some R&R.  It was time to exersize the .375's for an afternoon.  My daughter and I had built many different loads for the day, about 60 to be precise.  My son joined us at the range and spent some time with the .44 before he finished with the DW .375.

Note to Jody, hang in there those little ones grow up and make it more fun when they can help out with the range time!   We took the .375 Seville along and tried the identical loads in both the Seville and the DW for comparison, interesting results followed.  The seville seems to have very tight chambers yet.  JD Jones already reamed them some but I had to remove the cylinder four times to unstick cases loaded at only moderate levels, more reaming I guess.  No stuck cases in the DW.  The Seville's favorite load was a shot of 2400 powder topped with a Hornady 220GR bullet.  target below at 50 yards benched, 1-3/8" group, I managed this.  My sone put together the best attempt in the same fashion with the DW shooting the same bullet backed up with a moderate load of WW296 powder, target below. 

The DW keyholed many of the bullets with this custom 1-14 twist barrel except for the 296 loads?  The factory 8" barrel was always flawless, puzzled by this oneConfused

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

SMF

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11073
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
June 9, 2009 - 6:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Supermagfan said:

My daughter and I had built many different loads for the day, about 60 to be precise. 

You guys made 60 different loads?You must have a pretty good system, to keep track of all those.Surprised

That's odd that some of those bullets keyholed. These darn guns can be tempermental, I guess. Thanks for the nice range report & even more, for the...Cool Pics

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3246
June 9, 2009 - 6:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

60-rounds, 4- different loads, sorry about the confusion.

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11073
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
June 9, 2009 - 6:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Woops, I guess that would me more realistic, my bad.Embarassed I was gonna say...60 different loads? You da MAN!Cool rofl

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
June 9, 2009 - 6:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Cool report and AWESOME pics, I didn't see a target from your daughter shooting so she either is to young or she whipped the guys.poke

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
June 9, 2009 - 7:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Excellent report! I need to have a .375 Supermag day myself, hopefully sometime soon. Were any of those loads with H-4227 powder? That is what worked best in my Dan Wesson, that and the Hornady 220 grain FN.

My first Dan Wesson was the 740, and I had only fair accuracy with W-296/H-110. Two things cured that problem: The first was switching to IMR-4227. The gun really loves that one. The second thing was the crimp. I went to a Redding Profile Crimp die and that tightened up those 296 loads nicely. Factory crimp dies just don't do as uniform a job as you need. Look at some crimped rounds someday, you will find individual rounds that have a heavier crimp on on side of the case, and the other side is lighter.

The Redding Profile Crimp die means an extra step in the reloading process, but it reaps benefits far beyond the extra work. I have one for ALL of my revolver calibers.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/crimpdies.html

The Savantist

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Charger Fan, MagnumBoomer
Guest(s) 52
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300