Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
357 maximum ammo or 357 supermax
franknav1
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 9, 2008 - 6:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Where can I buy 357 maximum ammo for my Dan Wesson model 40 Super Mag 357? I am finding that ammo is so far unavailable anywhere at local gun stores or on the internet. Any suggestions?  franknav1@aol.com

Robert Hoffman
Guests
December 9, 2008 - 7:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got my model 40 from a pawnshop in 1992; he couldn't sell it because he said"they don't make bullets for it anymore!"  I bought the Lee pistol reloading kit and have fired many rounds through my DW.  Starline still makes brass and if you check the gun auction sites; you'll usually find someone selling Remington brass.  It shoots best with heavy bullets 180 to 200gr and 4227 powder.  If you find a source for loaded rounds, they will be expensive.  I found a box of 20 back in 1992 for $22.  If you can't wait; you can fire 357mags in it, just be sure that you scrub the cylinders well afterwards, as the shorter rounds will leave a carbon ring that will stop max's from loading, also accuracy isn't as good with the shorter rounds due to the long jump to the forcing cone.

franknav1
Members
Forum Posts: 2
December 10, 2008 - 12:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Robert Hoffman said:

I got my model 40 from a pawnshop in 1992; he couldn't sell it because he said”they don't make bullets for it anymore!”  I bought the Lee pistol reloading kit and have fired many rounds through my DW.  Starline still makes brass and if you check the gun auction sites; you'll usually find someone selling Remington brass.  It shoots best with heavy bullets 180 to 200gr and 4227 powder.  If you find a source for loaded rounds, they will be expensive.  I found a box of 20 back in 1992 for $22.  If you can't wait; you can fire 357mags in it, just be sure that you scrub the cylinders well afterwards, as the shorter rounds will leave a carbon ring that will stop max's from loading, also accuracy isn't as good with the shorter rounds due to the long jump to the forcing cone.

Thanks for the good info, where do you get the reloading kit?

Robert Hoffman
Guests
December 10, 2008 - 7:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Leeprecision.com , They have basic sets with a single stage press and a set of dies.  You will need a priming tool also.  I would also recommend Lee's manual; it has the basics as well as a powder guide for most calibers, including the 357max.  If you do much you will recoup your investment in a short time.  Always start below the max on powder charges and build up in small increments.  I would also recommend a digital scale as the scoop style are messy and delicate.  If you decide to go the casting route; I highly recommend Veral Smith's book, (he has a blog on Graybeard)  His molds are used by many competition shooters and the most accurate bullets I shoot are from one of his molds. You'll enjoy the max.  I like shooting a gong on our range at 200yds.

madcratebuilder
Members
Forum Posts: 18
December 13, 2008 - 11:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I bought 100 rounds from Custm Cartridge Inc when I first bought my super mag.  I was not sure if I would keep it and did not want to spend the money on dies till I was sure.  They have a web site, google it.

It was nice ammo, I bought an assortment of loads, hot to mild.

Robert Hoffman
Guests
December 13, 2008 - 6:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I checked their site; they only offered 125gr and 158 gr bullet wt in varying velocities.  They will work great in a contender, but don't use the 125 gr in the DW as it will cause flame cutting and excess wear on the forcing cone.  The best accuracy for the DW is achieved with 180 to 200 gr bullets.

460smdave
Members
Forum Posts: 140
December 14, 2008 - 6:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

[Image Can Not Be Found]

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/445SMDave/mg1110e.jpg

As I said in my email I will offer up four boxes for $130.00 shipped 50 rounds per box factory ammo nickle cases, not reloads, 180 gr hollow points. If you dont want them I will sell them to anyone else that would like them.

Dave Carey

Robert Hoffman
Guests
December 18, 2008 - 5:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope franknav1 took up your offer; that's a very good deal on max ammo.  If I didn't have over 1500 rounds loaded already, I would have got them.

460smdave
Members
Forum Posts: 140
December 19, 2008 - 9:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Robert Hoffman said:

I hope franknav1 took up your offer; that's a very good deal on max ammo.  If I didn't have over 1500 rounds loaded already, I would have got them.

Nope not a peep, I thought it was a very good offer. It is still here if anyone else wants them. Same offer 4 boxes factory 180gr nickle cases 50 rounds per box 200 rounds total for $130.00 shipped.

I have way more then that and lots of empty brass if anyone is interested in any of it let me know.

Dave

K.W.
Members
Forum Posts: 7
December 26, 2008 - 11:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can to use .357 Mag reloading dies for .357Rem Maximum/-Supermagnum.
I have D W 740 V8S and T/C G2 14″ bull barrell in this caliper.
There is pro forum “Specialty Pistols”.
I bought 1999 here in Finland 500 Remington 180gr cartridges with very low price, because this caliber was "allmoust dead".

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
December 31, 2008 - 2:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What kind of brass do you have? I would prefer the IHMSA nickel brass for the first choice, then Federal nickel, but no Remington. Might take you up on that offer for 4 boxes also.

Dean

The Savantist

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: superdan, jertex
Guest(s) 36
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300