Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
.357 Magnum Pistol Pac questions please...
ti22
Members
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 13, 2011 - 8:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hi folks,

This is my first post and by the look of things, I might have come to the right place.  A few months ago, my Dad passed away.  Among his prized possesions was a Dan Wesson .357 Pistol Pac.  Dad probably put 300 rounds through it – and that is a high estimate.  I am now its new caretaker…

Pretty much everthing is in the case, including the patch and the buckle.  So, I have a question:  is there a way to figure out when the gun was made by reading the serial number?

Forgive me if this question has been asked before – if so, would you please point me in the right direction?

thanks!

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1681
January 13, 2011 - 8:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

First, welcome to the forum and our condolences to your and your family on the passing of your father.

If you will look to the right and just below this post, you will see information on the Dan Wesson Serial Number Registry.  Click on the link that says "Serial Number List" and you should be able to get an approximation of when your gun was manufactured.  Then after your done and have some time, please post a pic of it so we can check out your Pac!

ti22
Members
January 13, 2011 - 8:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you very much - I really appreciate it.

Well, here is the Pac:

Image Enlarger

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Overall, the gun is in excellent shape.  The case is a little dusty, but it is all there.  There are two yellow and two white front sights.  The barrell tool is there as well as the feeler gauge.  That is in the second little envelope.  Finally, the keys match the lock on the case.

I saw other pictures of pistol pacs and they show the smaller of the two grips in a non-gloss finish.  Mine is the gloss finish.

Dad purchased this Pac sometime in the late 70's.  I can't find any paperwork on it, that is why I wanted to find out when it might have been manufactured. 

I hate the ask the dumb question, but:  what is the official model designation for this .357 Pistol Pac?

Thanks again for your patience!

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 13, 2011 - 9:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is a 15-2 Pistol Pack, with barrel shrouds in the V (vent) configuration.

From the style of barrel nut tool, I agree that it is likely a late '70's Pack, and you should be able to narrow that down in the S/N Registry listings.

That is a really beautiful Pack. The circumstance of how it came to you is sad, but you have a wonderful rememberance from your Dad of one of his prized possessions.

Enjoy your 15-2 Pack, and Welcome to DWF.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

ti22
Members
January 13, 2011 - 10:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you for the kind words.

From what I can see in the "list", we are looking at a 1979 model.  The serial number starts with 1864XX.  Thank you much. 

I've fired this gun a few times and it packs a punch.  The only barrell I've used is the one shown in the picture above.  The three other barrells, to my knowledge have never been fired.  Dad was very particular about this weapon.

Back in the 90's Dad contacted the factory and had a new tool sent.  He never really liked the way the original barrell tool fit, and I remember he was pretty happy when he got the replacement.  The replacement looks like a doorknob, and indeed it fits better.  When they sent that tool, they also included a new feeler gauge.  They are not pictured above, but I have them and they are in their original ziplock baggies. 

Next question:  Is there any type of ammo I should stay away from?  I'd like to fire a few rounds - any suggestions?  Any recommendations of using .38 Specials throught this gun or should I stick to .357's?

I am not new to guns - I own several but this one is very special and I just want to keep it that way...

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11049
January 13, 2011 - 10:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a thing of beauty, your Dad had good taste!Drool    I agree with Steve...the wrench, patch, buckle & grip medallions all look right for a late 70's Pac. Love that zebra grip.Smile

The allen wrench & feeler gauge are non-original items. I bet he chose the allen wrench for easier grip screw removal & he probably wanted to experiment with different barrel gaps, hence the multi-thickness feeler gauge. I think your Dad knew what he was doing.Wink

Welcome aboard & thanks for theCool Pics

Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
January 13, 2011 - 11:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum! As for what ammo to shoot, I hav e not found any that feel was more destructive than any other.. other than to say magnum loads or very powerful handloads can be hard on the gun. I generally shoot 38 special target loads just because they are the most fun.

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

Blacktop
OHIO
Members
Forum Posts: 3004
January 13, 2011 - 11:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome    most would have asked what it was worth...your Dad has left

the Pac in good hands. occasion 

Any off the shelf factory ammo will be fine, the gun can handle it all.

-Blacktop

+DW.jpg

ti22
Members
January 14, 2011 - 12:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Blacktop said:

most would have asked what it was worth…your Dad has left

the Pac in good hands. 

Dad valued his guns and he taught me to do the same.  I hope you all don't mind, but this is another of the guns Dad left me: 

Image Enlarger

This is a Smith & Wesson 1917 Hand Ejector .45 revolver.  Dad was part of the 13th Armoured Division during WWII and this was his sidearm.  He was issued a submachine gun but he used this as his 'backup'.  Dad let me fire this once and it was a hoss.
Hope you all don't mind me showing this.  Once again, thank you all for your kind words and great info. 

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
January 14, 2011 - 5:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ti, I am sorry for your paasing of your dad!  I am glad you have come to this place! Very nice looking pac, you have a treasure in hand that could be passed down for years to come.  The ole smith is a sweet one too! Nice to see the bring homes stuck around and are still useable!   Enjoy and shoot away.

On ammo as has been said i like the out of the box target loads in 38, easier on the ears, hands and Dan!

THough love the feel of 6 rounds of factory 357mag just to know how it barks!

Stick around,  look this place over and share what you will!

Welcome    Cool Pics    Proud To Be An American

DSCN1339.jpg

Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
January 14, 2011 - 2:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow.. thats great history and its wonderful that you still that smith...

Cool Pics

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
January 15, 2011 - 8:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum!  Those are a couple nice looking guns.  Thanks for sharing!

duff645
Members
Forum Posts: 51
January 15, 2011 - 11:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ti22:

What is your dad's name?  DOB or DOD?  That way we can honor him as a fan of DW Firearms and fire off a few rounds in his honor.

He is leaving behind a true legacy....

Gary J
Georgia
Members
Forum Posts: 894
May 4, 2011 - 11:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice pistol pack, it looks like mine. It's a real treasure to own and a grail of a gun to possess and hand it down as an heirloom. From the condition of it. It looks like your father really loved that pistol set.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: DA....64
Guest(s) 37
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912
Stinger: 3377