Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
357 barrel styles verses accuracy
stovepipe
Indiana

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 170
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 6, 2011 - 2:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Will the different styles of barrels give different accuracy.The photo shows some barrels I  see alot and was wondering if there is a  good,  better  or best.Range Time      Stovepipe

Image Enlarger

Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
January 6, 2011 - 2:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I suspect there is more opinion than much else on this example. But speaking strickly as someone who really does not qualify to answer.. I will through out my opinion:

First.. from the images you show… the difference is only the shroud… the barrels are all 4" tubes… same barrels same potential for accuracy. For short we call the barrel/shroud/barrel nut a barrel assembly or BA for short. So we have three BA's all 4" long with the last one having the most striking difference that being a full underlug. 

Second.. While all three have the same potential for accuracy, I would give a slight nod to the last one with a full underlug.. but only so much as it can aid the shooter in being more accurrate.. not the gun. That is if the shooter is prone to not being able to keep a steady aim, then the added wieght may help to reduce that "weaving motion" that can happen when trying to make a longer distance shot. 

Lastly, the full underlug barrel will recoil somewhat less, thus again aiding the shooter in either not flinching, or by keeping the gun more on target after a shot so a follow up shot can be targeted more quickly. 

If the question is purely… will any of the shrouds make the gun more accurrate, then I would say no. If the question is: will any of the shrouds potentially assist a shooter in shooting more accurrately, then I would give a slight nod to the full underlug. However, at 4" most shooters would get only a marginal benefit if any. 6" and up to 8" would probably get more help especially at greater distances. This means I give no credit to the vented versus plain other than cosmetic. Now all that has to be balanced with: are you wanting to holster and then are you wanting to aim a heavy gun. If not, then any benefit of the heavy shroud is rather moot. 

So far I have shot 3 competitions with a 6VH. They all require drawing from a holster and last at least 125 rounds fired ( one was over 200) and takes about 4 hours. By the last stage I am very very tired and spent just from lifting and aiming that heavy gun. 

But then again.. I have zero qualifications to back any of this up. Range Time  

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

Blacktop
OHIO
Members
Forum Posts: 3004
January 6, 2011 - 2:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

+DW.jpg

Star4Ever
Sunny Southern CT
Members
Forum Posts: 45
January 6, 2011 - 3:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree with Pinetor.  The shroud's appearance lends one to feel that there is a bull barrel doing the deed.  Not so.

To the fresh arm(s) the HV shroud may be a steadying advantage as well as a flip dampener.

However, as Pinetor states near the end of his reply, as one's arms and wrists become tired, then the advantage of the heavy shroud becomes a disadvantage.

That all said,  the HV shroud sure does look cool.

mox-ct
Salem, CT
Members
Forum Posts: 969
January 6, 2011 - 7:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Would you guys agree that the full underlug or heavy underlug would be more effective on longer barrels?

Happyness is a Hot DW and a pile of used brass!!! Rich

SPW1
Members
Forum Posts: 38
January 6, 2011 - 10:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Would you guys agree that the full underlug or heavy underlug would be more effective on longer barrels?

No, it is more a matter of individual preference than anything. Plus the longer the barrel the heavier full underlug shrouds are. More weight out front isn't always a good thing. For me personally once i get past six inches or so full underlug shrouds seem far to muzzle heavy and are actually more difficult for me to shoot well. I much prefer lighter shroud profiles particularly on longer barrels.

Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
January 6, 2011 - 10:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mox-ct said:

To an extent I agree with SPW1.. its personal preference. Someone who is accurrate with a 6" barrel (plain) is going to be accurrate with 6VH. However, for me I tend to be better able to hold steady for a further distance with a 6VH versus a plain 6. Distance being about 15 to 20 yards with just the open target sight. Generally if I place a sticky dot ( about the size of a nickle) on a target at 20 yards I can hit it free hand. I dont have a full underlug 8" ( only a plain)so I cant attest to how I feel about them. I have not shot much with the 4H, I know I like it, but haven't pushed accurracy with it. I do think that heavy is better at distance and longer barrel is better at distance... so having both at least to 6" is good for me. I have shot my EPC only a little so far. But it along with my larger grip does make it steady as a rock. once it warms up again I will go to the outside range and see how far and accurrate I can be with it. I am certain it will outperfom the 6VH, but I cant shoot ICORE with it (and would not try).  Ahhh but distance plates.. that would be a a thing to try!  Big Grin

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: 3ric
Guest(s) 44
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)