.357 SuperMag chronology Revolvers The Dan Wesson Forum Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
.357 SuperMag chronology
April 8, 2008
5:14 pm
wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Forum Posts: 870
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I found more confusing serial number information.  This is with the .357 SuperMags.  The .357 SM were produced by both Dan Wesson Arms in Monson and by Wesson Firearms in Palmer.  I recently purchased a Monson .357 SM off Gun Broker. At the sam time, on Gun Broker there were two other .357 SM revolvers. One of them another Monson and the other a Palmer.  Here is where it gets confusing.

My .357 SM S/N:

The Monson .357 SM from Gun Broker:

The Palmer .357 SM from Gun Broker:

Each of the pictures have had the last two numbers (of the s/n) removed. This last serial number is a little difficult to read, it is a 006XX.

What got me is the preamble of the serial numbers.  My Monson and the Palmer start with the same "357MB" and the other Monson does not.  The other interesting item is my Monson is a higher serial number, chronologically, than the Palmer.

3PPCLined.jpg

April 10, 2008
6:52 am
Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6167

This is interesting stuff however we’ll probably never know all the facts.  I’m wondering maybe the one was a special order and the customer requested the special serial number.  I’m not sure if that was an option or not…

April 10, 2008
2:56 pm
dant
NE Ohio
Forum Posts: 66

The possibility also exists the gun was "redone" (rebuilt/replaced) at Palmer and they issued the ‘same’ serial number???

Good question, and one we most likely will NEVER know…….

dant

April 11, 2008
7:35 pm
wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Forum Posts: 870

My theory is that when Dan Wesson Arms went under, they had a bunch of frames than had been produced but not yet stamped with a serial number. Once moved to Palmer and production resumed, things ran good for a while, then money became tight again. Unable to pay their steel suppliers, Wesson Firearms dug out these old leftover Monson frames, stamped a serial number on them and sent’em on down the road. Only a wild-ass theory.

3PPCLined.jpg

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 76

Currently Online:
53 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Steve: 10330

SHOOTIST357: 4788

Dave_Ks: 4280

zoommb: 3157

Supermagfan: 3136

Blacktop: 3004

IHMSA80x80: 2692

Ole Dog: 2411

brucertx: 2309

Stinger: 2288

Newest Members:

Fanjet

Johnallen428

mike454

Flipper197129

Fresch

kajan

Atsimila

zipper046

Sawpod

bwall69

Forum Stats:

Groups: 11

Forums: 42

Topics: 14556

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 7003

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Site Supporters: 1972ctdc, ar-tex, arcnsparc, Artur, atomar, b4delta, BBinger, bikeridertim, BRM, bunny, bwjones0011, CaptDanDD, Caruso4510, DA....64, Dariusz Gut, dbodom, Dettom, Dr.Seuss, DWpistolpackin, ese927, freerider04, Garfield411N, Garymckenzie, GetAGrip, HankB, Headsmaster, hesslism, hester57, Hosspower, JamesF Swidryk, JASJR, john Goldsmith, John Greenley, johnbrandolino, JohnD, JustinPolley, larry260, LG, lonwolf93, Lracmcd, md8232, minmich, Mtn_Eagle, ParaNormal, pete, ray, Rex Beachmont, Rimfire, Roberto, SCORPIO, Starman90, StevenTrate, StillKickin, stovepipe, Sweeney, sweet trigger, Venturerider

Range Officers: brucertx, Dave_Ks, SHOOTIST357, Supermagfan, Tigger, zoommb

Dan’s Club: Boeing, brucertx, bunny, Dan Fan, Dave_Ks, DWpistolpackin, ese927, Garfield411N, Gman1956, jaggman, lbruce, lman, lonwolf93, Lracmcd, Maria Perkins, mhannon, Michael Berner, Ole Dog, ParaNormal, Rimfire, riverinerat, RonaldSemerena, rwsem, SCORPIO, snake-eye, Steve, Supermagfan, tikit2ryde, Wheelgunner, willy, zoommb

Administrators: Jody

Moderators: lbruce, Charger Fan, rwsem, SCORPIO