Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Redding .445 Dies
cdf294
Central TX
Members
Forum Posts: 394
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 20, 2009 - 6:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey guys.

As expected, the USPS really dropped the ball on delivering my 7445.

When I got home from work today, at least the box of accessories that came with the 7445 had shown up via UPS ground. I opened the box and found some fresh Starline brass as well as some reloads. I am going to pull down the reloads since I have no clue what they are exactly. I feel it is bad form shooting reloads from an unknown source.

Anyway, my question is about the Redding 445 titanium carbide die set that came with the other accessories. I remember reading before I purchased the 357SM about problems with the 357SM dies being too tight.

Is there anything I should know about these 445 dies, and problems with dies being too tight? I can't recall where I found this info before, and don't know if the 445 dies were also prone to this issue. These dies appear to be new and unused- I'm wondering if there is a reason for this.

I know there has to be some of you guys loading 445 ammo- what dies are you using? I have another set of carbide RCBS dies I can use that came with my 744 if you think the Redding SM dies will give me problems. I suppose I can figure this out myself but thought I would ask those in the know first.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
February 20, 2009 - 8:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cdf294 said:

Hey guys.

As expected, the USPS really dropped the ball on delivering my 7445.

Probably because of President's day. Any time the USPS is closed for a day, I swear it takes two weeks before things are back to normal...same goes for garbage trucks.Confused

Anyhoo, that sucks it didn't make it, maybe tomorrow?

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3242
February 20, 2009 - 8:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have redding dies for all four Supermag calibers and have used all but the 445's.  the other three calibers work fine.  I had many 445's loaded prior to obtaining the redding dies.  I always used 44 mag RCBS dies turned up and had no problem with them to date.  I know this is spoken against by some, but has always worked for me and the 445 is the caliber that got me started into this addiction.  Loaded many rounds through the 44 dies that way.

SMF

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

cdf294
Central TX
Members
Forum Posts: 394
February 20, 2009 - 9:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan-

Would have been nice to get it this week but I'm over it.  It will give me time to produce some ammo so Dusty Trail and I can send a few downstream in a week or 2.

SMF-

I've been using 38/357 dies for the Max. I had not found this forum until after I purchased my 357SM. I stayed away from the SuperMag dies because of some problems I had read about. I will give the 445SM dies a try and see how it works. Worst case, I just use some 44 dies I already have.

That seems to be the biggest problem on the internet while doing research- there's too much conflicting info.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3242
February 20, 2009 - 9:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree about the conflicting info.  When I first started into the Super's I knew only what I had read out of the old Sierra loading manuals and did not know dies even existed for the Supers.  Now I have so much more info and am more confused than ever at times on what to follow.  I think that is half the fun with these calibers.  You never know it all about them and there is always one more article you haven't seen just waiting.

SMF

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

robhof
Ky
Members
Forum Posts: 281
February 21, 2009 - 2:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've been using the Hornady Titanium dies for my 357 max for years with no problem.  The Ti. ring on the sizing die doesn't require lube and is much easier to use than the carbide die on my 38/357 set.  TRy the dies first and if you have a problem; check with Hornady, they might make it right for cost of shipping.

pops2
beavercreek,oregon
Members
Forum Posts: 811
March 13, 2009 - 11:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

WinkI'm from the old school if they work don't beat it till they won't. Been using .carbide 357 and carbide 44 on both the super mags and they work just fine. Wish I could get carbide for the 375.Goog luck to all.

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
March 14, 2009 - 7:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have some .375SM Redding dies at the going rate for sale, but not carbide. Wish they had made some in carbide also, but the tapered case won't work.

The Savantist

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: KurtB
Guest(s) 27
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911