Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Loading the 445 SuperMag
Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
Forum Posts: 59
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 21, 2018 - 8:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all!

I was advised to join this forum by Missionary, who is also a member on another forum I frequent.  I've recently bought a 445.  It's a Monson gun, serial number 1048, and I've started to handload for it.  I used the Hornaday data, and substituted a 265 grain cast bullet (home cast Keith bullet, 12.5 hardness with Carnuaba Red lube sized to .431), instead of the jacketed Interlock bullet.  

After trying to gather as much load data as I could from here, and elsewhere, I started with W296 powder, new Starline brass, Federal magnum pistol primers, and put it all together with Redding dies in a Co-Ax press.  My starting load was 31 grains, and a second batch with 32 grains was also loaded.  I ran the first batch through the chronograph (Oehler 35P), and got velocity almost 200 fps faster than I was expecting. I though I might be in the mid 1300's, and I ended up with one round going over 1600 fps (photo of the chrono tape below).  The total spread was also over 100 fps, which I don't like.  Further, the brass showed carbon streaking on the outside, indicating that it wasn't expanding and sealing the chambers.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

I didn't fire the second batch of test ammo, and instead have decided to ask around and get some second opinions as to where I'm at.  I sure don't want to mess up a hard to replace firearm over something stupid.

Questions....

1.  Is this load data similar to what others have witnessed with their 445's?

2.  Is there any data for using Alliant 2400 in the 445?

3.  Does anyone have any good recipes for some mid range loads in this caliber?  Something you can shoot 50-100 rounds of in a sitting and not need carpal tunnel surgery?  lol...

Seriously, the recoil was less than my Ruger 3 3/4" Talo with the "Elmer loads" in it.  I really like the big DW, and want to be able to shoot it a LOT....  Thank you for any input you see fit to send my way, looking forward to learning all I can!

Blessed is he, whom when confronted with death, thinks only of his front sight...

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3372
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 21, 2018 - 8:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Right now, I only handload .357 Maximum and .414 SuperMag and have not ventured to the .445 yet, so will be watching this thread with interest.

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
Forum Posts: 2311
May 21, 2018 - 8:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

To the paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers:

if you find one...what's your plan?

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
May 21, 2018 - 8:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

For a standard .44 magnum with a 250 gr cast (Keith) Alliant says 20g of 2400 should yield 1390fps. (7.5" bbl)

I like 2400 and use it in my .357, .41 and .445.

Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
May 21, 2018 - 8:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

brucertx said
For a standard .44 magnum with a 250 gr cast (Keith) Alliant says 20g of 2400 should yield 1390fps. (7.5" bbl)

I like 2400 and use it in my .357, .41 and .445.  

What charge weight do you run?  Are you guys just using 44 mag data in the bigger case?  I know you can't do that with 296....

Blessed is he, whom when confronted with death, thinks only of his front sight...

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
May 21, 2018 - 9:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My "recipes" are packed away at the moment, but I believe I started building my load (with that 300g bullet) at 20g of 2400 and worked up from there. I didn't experience any leading problems and the brass came out clean and shiny.

I don't use 296 and don't cast. There are guys here who a lot more knowledge than I do. I wonder if you might be running a little soft. Any leading in your barrel?

Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
May 21, 2018 - 9:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

No leading to report really...I've been casting for a while and have learned that leading usually results from a bullet that's too small.  Cast bullets should be run .001-.002 over bore diameter, so in .44 cal barrels you'd be looking for a .431 size.  Good lube is the next thing, and a plain base bullet helps also.  I've run that bullet up to 1750 fps in my little Puma '92 carbine and not really had any issues.  There's a book available online (free), that is really the benchmark for lead bullet and casting info, here's a link...

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

So if you were running 20 gr under a 300 gr bullet, I should be ok starting at 20 gr under my smaller 265 gr bullet.  I'll get a new mold that will be a heavier bullet but just wanted to get up and running using some stuff I had...

Thanks for your help!

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
May 21, 2018 - 9:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yep, lot's of factors can contribute to leading.

check your PM

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
May 21, 2018 - 10:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I load the 445 with H110.  I use a 240gn Hornady XTP and 31.5 gn H110 and a Winchester Large magnum pistol primer.  These are very respectable loads but not uncomfortable or dangerous, it is a published load.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
May 21, 2018 - 10:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a lot like what I just tested, except for the cast/jacketed part.  It's good to know that I wasn't doing anything dangerous.  The velocity sure did surprise me though!

H110 and W296 are basically the same powder, and the problem is I only have one pound of 296.  There seems to be a bit of a powder shortage these days for some unknown reason.  I do have 2400 in quantity though, so if I could use that, it would mean a lot more shooting....

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
Forum Posts: 194
May 22, 2018 - 9:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I will throw my 2 cents in and hope it helps.

The info I am giving you is straight from the Silhoutte June 1990. The Silhoutte was a news paper written with info for loads for Silhoutte shooting.

The first suggestion is to use a Federal 155 primer to get loads with powder capacities up to 35 gr. to burn consistently.

These are the powders they suggested. H-4227, W-296, AR-1680.

Bullets were Speer and Hornady 240 gr. I have loaded up to 300 gr. 

The best group was fifty yards .9 inches. Hornady 240gr silver tip, AR-1680 38gr, Fed 155 primer, 1539fps.

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
May 23, 2018 - 12:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just noticed something. Both SCORPIO and I are using Winchester Large magnum pistol primers. Are you using Large Magnum primers?

Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
May 23, 2018 - 12:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Yes, the Federal 155's.

I'm hoping to try out 2400 soon.  I really want to run a powder with a broader useful pressure curve instead of the narrow curve of 296, which basically forces you to run full-house loads all the time.  I'd like to have some mid range stuff. 

I take it from our conversation that I can start with 20 gr and work up.  

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
May 23, 2018 - 6:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The article talked about magnum primers vs standard. I will read up on what they talked about and get back to the forum with the info. I have always used Fed 155 in my 445.

Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
May 23, 2018 - 7:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In the Taffin Tests, John Taffin says he could never tell any difference between large rifle primers some guys were using, and magnum pistol. I have plenty of the 155’s, and the recipe generally calls for them, so that’s what I was using for this test. 

Probably stick with them when I test the 2400. 

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
May 23, 2018 - 12:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jonny V said
Yes, the Federal 155's.

I'm hoping to try out 2400 soon.  I really want to run a powder with a broader useful pressure curve instead of the narrow curve of 296, which basically forces you to run full-house loads all the time.  I'd like to have some mid range stuff. 

I take it from our conversation that I can start with 20 gr and work up.    

I started at 20gr for a 300 Grain TCFP 18 Brinell cast bullet.

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
May 23, 2018 - 8:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I read thru the section on primer selection again. They highly recommend Fed 155 primers as to obtain any kind of standard deviation. Fed 155 work best with all ball type powders. Long story short, the large swings in FPS you were seeing probably is a primer issue. I have shot a lot of 2400 in all my magnums and I have had good results. I have also shot 220gr bullets in my 445 to lighten the recoil also. Hope this helps

Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
May 23, 2018 - 11:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was using the 155's, but also using an electronic scale, so I'm wondering if I had a scale issue.  I plan to switch back to my trusty balance scale and start with 2400 and my 265 grain cast.  First five round batch will be at 21 grains, with five rounds each at 22 gr thru 25 gr, all going over the chronograph.  I'm looking for a good midrange load (1400-ish fps) and a good hot load (1550-ish fps, maybe 1600-ish).  I want to see how things look while I'm testing.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Dan Fan, Stinger, 605Dart, tlawler
Guest(s) 53
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3372