Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Bulging primer on .445
Gary J
Georgia
Members
Forum Posts: 894
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 25, 2011 - 3:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I just started loading my .445 DW. I have new and old brass. I just made a few rounds today. I'm using  Win. 296, 29 gr of powder with .300 XTP gr. bullet. The primer is Win. Large hand gun/Magnum.

A couple of rounds shot fine, but some bulged the primer causing it to lock in the firing pin hole. It may not be bulging but being pushed back so that the primer is not even with the brass base. You have to force the cylinder open when this happens. I also shot a couple or empty brass rounds with the primer and sometimes it would lock up. Otherwise with the pistol loaded the cylinder spins fine.

I know magnum primers are thicker than standard primer. I would think the Win. large handgun/magnum primers would be thick enough.  

Anyone have a suggestion on correcting this problems? Thanks, Gary 

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
August 25, 2011 - 3:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What kind of brass are you using?  some 445 brass takes large rifle primers.  Most Starline brass is factory set for large pistol only.  Difference of .007 in seating depth.

SHOOT

Gary J
Georgia
Members
August 25, 2011 - 5:06 pm

I have a 100 rounds of Starline Brass. How many times can you reload those usually? Plus the 100 I'm getting from you on GB. smile

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
August 25, 2011 - 9:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm still a reloading novice, so I don't have much sound feedback just yet. However, Shoot's got a good point, it sounds like the primers aren't seating correctly, if they're pushing back out of the brass. Do you have a shot of one seated? 

I use a CCI350 primer in my Starline .445 brass & haven't had an issue at all, so far.

Gary J
Georgia
Members
August 25, 2011 - 10:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll take a pic. i'm going to make some more rounds tomorrow. I ordered a compensator wrench from EWK. I haven't received it yet. I thought I would take the barrel off and adjust it. It's pretty tight to the cylinder. I shot a .44mag. in it and had no problem. Life is a mystery sometimes.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5297
August 26, 2011 - 6:20 am

Shoot is probably all over it.  Older Starline 445 was LRP.  If it's used brass, the pockets could be soft too- you never know how many times it was already reloaded. 

Here's a bit of info on primers:http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm and here:  http://www.lasc.us/primerchart.htm

Difference in height of LP vs LR is .01 according to that info.

Depending on the case, I anneal every 5-15 loadings.  Straight wall cases last longer between annealing, unless you only neck size the bottle-necked cases.  Of course on the less expensive cases, I just keep an eye on them for cracking and then toss them.  I also trim when they get too long for the chambers.  There are a lot of variables that determine case life. 

My best advise- get a reloading book and read the information.  Too many folks just use the recipies; at least I did when I started reloading.  Things become much clearer when you read the technical mumbo-jumbo.   

Regards, Ron

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Gary J
Georgia
Members
August 26, 2011 - 4:10 pm

OK!  Now I'm cooking with grease. I went back and meticulously reset my dies to precision. I'm using 28 gr of Win 296/300gr XTP bullets. The Win. Large handgun/Magnum primers worked fine.  

I did test my primer on an empty brass. They shoot about a 3 ft. flame out the barrel. I would think they are more than enough to fill the .445 case sufficiently. 

One thing that I did different was that I put 6 rounds in instead of just one. I'm new to the Super Mag like this. One round shouldn't cause it to stick should it?

I do  have a 357 Max. No trouble with that. Thanks guys for the info. I'm happy now.  occasion

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
August 27, 2011 - 11:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gary J said

One thing that I did different was that I put 6 rounds in instead of just one. I'm new to the Super Mag like this. One round shouldn't cause it to stick should it?

No, one round shouldn't stick. 

On a side note, I have only fired an empty brass with primer once...scared the hell outta my cat.lol2 That one empty case was fired in my Ruger SBH .44, and it locked that darn thing up "right now". I had to do a real funky disassembly procedure to get that cylinder apart.

I didn't do it again.

After I got it apart, I noticed that the primer (as I suspected) had jumped & locked the cylinder's rotation. Being a reloading greenie, I just assumed that firing a primer in an empty case is simply a no-no & haven't done it since.  The same primer in a loaded case fires flawlessly.

I'm not gonna question your reasoning behind firing multiple empty cases, only to say that you may have been lucky thus far. I'd probably look at snap caps for my dry firing needs.wink

Gary J
Georgia
Members
September 1, 2011 - 3:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wasn't firing multiple empty cases. Just one. I was loading the cylinder with only one fully loaded cartridge and it was sticking sometimes, but with 6 fully loaded rounds it didn't stick. I dropped my powder load just a bit and it seem to work fine. I'm using those large handgun/magnum primers. We live and learn as we tinker with things.:)

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: snake-eye
Guest(s) 42
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3942
Stinger: 3388