Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
722 Light firing pin strikes (Help)
mkf350
MI
Members
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 2, 2011 - 4:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I had picked up a 6" 722 Monson DW in very good condition. Unfortunately the first time I had fired it in double action I had only 5 outta 6 round fire. I had to fire that remaining round in single action to get it to light. Thinking maybe I had a bad round I loaded 6 more and had 2 that would not fire in double action, so off to this forum to do some research…

I had found the threads regarding tuning up small frames and read it completely. So I took apart revolver cleaned and lightly re lubed as well as some light polishing on all mating surfaces, reassembled and still getting 1 of 6 not firing. So I went to Wolff spring website and ordered their DW small spring kit which included both a 7.5 and an 8 lb spring. After receiving this kit a week later I have installed both new springs with essetially the same result. I can sometimes get all 6 rounds to fire but still getting some that wont in double action. Never a problem in single action though, since hammer has more travel in this position.

Open to ideas

thx

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
January 2, 2011 - 5:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cylinder not square with world and worn firing pin!  Is the cylinder dented from dry firing?  does it strike and same cylinder or miss the same one everytime?  Worn firing pin would be my best guess! 

when you get it right you will have a new Dan it sounds like. 

I have never had this problem with a Dan so guessing! 

DSCN1339.jpg

mkf350
MI
Members
January 2, 2011 - 5:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does not happen on same cylinder every time. There are no firing pin marks on cylinder.

Firing pin was prolly gonna be my next guess but wanted to bounce it off some of you first.

Gonna start searching for replacement firing pin....

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
January 2, 2011 - 6:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DSCN1339.jpg

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 2, 2011 - 11:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As part of your disassembly and tuneup, did you remove the firing pin and clean it, replace the spring, and clean the firing pin channel? Since this is not part of the internal frame lockwork, it is often overlooked.

Especially on a .22 lr, that has maybe been shot a lot with cheap, dirty ammo, this might be your problem. If the problem does not register to a specific chamber each time, it may well be this, or an over/under tightened grip screw.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
January 2, 2011 - 11:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Try a different box/brand of ammo before you start pulling your hair out... You'd be surprised the difference in rim thickness between lots.

I spent a week trying to figure out why my lever 22 wasn't setting off rounds every time...  switched to a different lot of ammo and no more problems.  I measured the rims when I got home and there was quite a difference.

SHOOT

dbmjr1
NOLA
Members
Forum Posts: 17
January 2, 2011 - 11:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I shoot quite a bit of rimfire.   I think I might know what your problem is.

You are using Remington ammo.

Am I right?

mkf350
MI
Members
January 3, 2011 - 6:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

No remington ammo tried Federal bulk pak and cci mini mags. Gonna take the advice of trying to clean firing pin first but need to find a small pinch first.

Do ya think that a WEAK firing pin would cause a light hit?? I can see possibly dirt having that effect but I give it a try..

Can you explain how an over/under tight grip screw affects the mainspring?

Thanks

dbmjr1
NOLA
Members
Forum Posts: 17
January 3, 2011 - 7:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was thinking that Remington Rimfire ammunition has nortoriously bad priming.   Fed, and CCI should both go bang.  Eley will have thicker rims, if cleaning doesn't help, try them.  Should get better accuracy too.

Do you have calipers?  I'm sure somebody here probably has the spec length on the firing pin.  

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 3, 2011 - 9:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mkf350 said:

Can you explain how an over/under tight grip screw affects the mainspring?

Thanks

The grip screw threads into the mainspring seat, which is installed on the lower end of the grip tang. The mainspring and mainspring guide drop into the tang and seat into the top of the mainspring seat. If the grip screw is too long, or screwed in too far, it can contact the lower end of the mainspring guide, pushing it upward. In DA, you may possibly not get the full tension of the mainspring driving the hammer forward, essentially not a "full" cocking action. When cocking manually in SA, you tend to get more complete spring tension.

If you look at the last page of this:

https://www.danwessonforum.com/wp-content/uploads/small-frame-manual.pdf

Part numbers 10 and 11 seat into number 49. if the grip screw pushes too far up into the bottom of number 49 you might not get the full force of the mainspring tension. An extraordinarily long grip screw might cause the action to not cock at all in SA or DA.

There are two different length DW factory grip screws, for different styles of grips. Some have a captured washer at the head, and if this washer has been removed (or if the grip screw hole in the grip has gotten deeper) the grip screw goes in too deep.

If you have not looked at this yet:

https://www.danwessonforum.com/?page_id=3/reloading/tuning-up-your-15-2-the-average-joe-method/

I strongly urge you to. Even if you never do this, and it's very easy, it helps you understand how everything works together.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 27
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914