Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
715 wear and tear questions
gsquare
Peoria, AZ
Members
Forum Posts: 228
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 6, 2011 - 2:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay, got a couple of questions.  I bought a 715 yesterday and was switching the grips with another 715 and in handling the revolver I found a few concerns.

1) the end of the cylinder has burrs on the tips of the flutes pretty much all the way around.

2) the cylinder has a great deal of wear along with a second turn line.  Possibly a product of a gun out of time?  The gun doesn't seem to be out of time now, but I'm no gunsmith.

3) on my other DWs, not to mention other brands, the frame pieces meet with a hairline showing, this 715 seems to have gaps.  Maybe not put back together correctly or pieces of different guns?

4) the cylinder gap looks uneven, the barrel looks slightly angled.  I'm ordering the wrench from EWK, I have a .006 gage so I'll have to wait until I get the wrench to do anything about that anyway.  Hopefully the gun wasn't dropped.

Seems to me that this could still be a great shooter once it's deburred and set up, I'm just wondering if this type of wear raises any red flags based on anyone's previous experience.  Included are some pics, thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts.  (BTW - the other 715 is smooth and clean laugh)

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger
Image Enlarger

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5292
October 6, 2011 - 3:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is the crane bent?  That second drag line is out of place and the cylinder may be (or used to) drag on the frame.  That would be a possible explanation for the gap difference too, but maybe not.  Some DW cylinders didn't have a trued face- easily remedied w/ a file in steady hands.  Go slowly if you do that yourself.  I'd start by disassembling, cleaning, and reassembly.  Note any other worn parts and make a list.  DW still has revolver parts for sale.

just my $.02

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
October 6, 2011 - 8:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Look at the gap above and below the cylinder inside the frame--it should be a nice even line in there.  Hold it up to the light and slightly rotate the gun to view the gaps.

If your gap is not even all the way across, your crane/yoke is probably bent.

No idea on the burrs on the flutes--thatis just weird.

SHOOT

gsquare
Peoria, AZ
Members
Forum Posts: 228
October 6, 2011 - 3:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys, 

Cylinder is parallel to frame top and bottom, that was the first thing I looked at. My only guess is that the crane was bent, gun was horribly out of time and somebody insisted on continuing to fire it.  Eventually the problem must have been fixed but the scars remain.  

I've never disassembled a DW so I am grateful for all of the info on this forum!  

Gary

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: D B, DA....64
Guest(s) 39
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914