Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
445 Super Mag load test
Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
Forum Posts: 59
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 22, 2018 - 5:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey Guys....

Finally got around to trying out some 445 loads with Alliant 2400 powder, and also did a test with W296 and tried out a Rainier plated hollow point too.

After some back and forth with another member here, I started my 2400 load test using 20 grains and my home cast 265 gr Keith bullet.  The goal was to come up with a reduced load for the 445 that would allow more trigger time without the hard recoil of full power loads.  Here's our setup at the range....

range-setup.JPGImage Enlarger

445-test.JPGImage Enlarger

Here's the data tape from the chronograph.  The first one is my 24 gr of 2400 load, the second is 31 gr of W296 (also under the same 265 gr cast bullet, and the third is 31 gr of W296 under a 240 gr Rainier plated JHP.

445-data-1.JPGImage Enlarger

445-data-2.JPGImage Enlarger
445-data-3.JPGImage Enlarger

The 2400 load shoots well, recoil is manageable, and accuracy is good to very good.  The 296 load however, is giving my some problems.  It was very flashy, recoil was a bit harder, and then I noticed what can only be flame cutting on my top strap.  Here's a couple pictures...

445-frame.JPGImage Enlarger

445-frame-2.JPGImage Enlarger

It doesn't seem very deep, but there won't be any more firing of this gun until I get it figured out.  At the moment, I feel like just dumping 296 altogether.  I'm figuring that there could be another cause for flame cutting as well, namely that the barrel wasn't gapped right. I used a feeler gauge that came from EWK when I got a new tool set for my DW .22 revolver, set it pretty tight.  Tomorrow, I'm figuring to order another tool set for the 445.  

I also notice that the extreme spreads and the standard deviations on all three loads are large.  I think that this is due to using a powder measure and an electronic scale to throw charges.  It may be that I need to throw a charge and then trickle to exact weight just as I do with high pressure rifle loads.  Loading for this caliber is definitely proving to be a challenge!

Any input from the brain trust here would be greatly appreciated.

Blessed is he, whom when confronted with death, thinks only of his front sight...

pistolero
Members
Forum Posts: 64
July 22, 2018 - 6:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Suggest that you double check that the visible flame cutting is actually eroding into the steel and not just a carbon buildup.  Several times I was convinced my topstrap was being eroded but thankfully so far it has always turned out to be just carbon.  Good luck sorting out the new toy!

Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
July 22, 2018 - 10:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

pistolero said
Suggest that you double check that the visible flame cutting is actually eroding into the steel and not just a carbon buildup.  Several times I was convinced my topstrap was being eroded but thankfully so far it has always turned out to be just carbon.  Good luck sorting out the new toy!  

Yes its a bit of a cut. Enough to catch a fingernail. I think it occurred when I was shooting the 240 gr bullets with 31 gr of W296.

Blessed is he, whom when confronted with death, thinks only of his front sight...

pops2
beavercreek,oregon
Members
Forum Posts: 811
July 23, 2018 - 1:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't have a crono but have been using H110 in both the 44mag and 445SM which has worked for me and has managable recoil. with 240 grain hornady hpxtp's. years ago i tried 2400 and didin't like the muzzel flash.Dayton

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5289
July 23, 2018 - 6:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Try topping the powder with cream of wheat or Dacron (PET) filler to keep it situated in the bottom of the case.  That should help with leveling velocity and lowering the SD

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
July 23, 2018 - 10:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't want to get a Mod mad at me, but I've never heard anything good about using wads or fillers with double base powders.  I've heard that it's a good way to ring a barrel or chamber, and thus find yourself out gun shopping for a replacement firearm.

I think I'll just avoid hot lightweight bullet loads (240 grains in this case), get myself a 290gr + mold from Tom over at Accurate Molds, and then load them to about 1250-1350 fps and call it good.  Might shop for a T/C contender and get a 445 barrel to burn off the remaining 296 loads I have, plus it's always fun to have a rifle/pistol set in a given caliber.

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
Forum Posts: 2311
July 23, 2018 - 11:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad to see you working with the 2400. As we discussed, I don't have any input on the lighter bullets. I run 300 grain

To the paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers:

if you find one...what's your plan?

Jonny V
Carnation, WA
Members
August 6, 2018 - 12:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Quick update....

Been searching the inter webs for info on flame cutting of the top strap and everything I find points generally in the direction of running light bullet loads with max powder charges.  In the case of the 445, it may be that the 240 gr bullet is a bit light, and combining that with a heavy charge of 296 (H110), which is a "flashy" powder, produced the above cut in my frame.  

The cure (at least for me) is 1. no more 296 powder loads, 2. no more light bullet loads, 3. no more max charge loads, 4. constant vigilance over the cylinder gap.  

They aren't making any more Dan Wesson 445 Super Mags.  Therefore, I'm going to stick with easier shooting loads running 300 gr bullets and Alliant 2400 powder.  Going to run some test batches this weekend and will post up results.

One other thing.....I ran across these bullets at Three Forks Ammo in Cle Elum, WA.  Great reloading store with super knowledgeable staff.  Search them up if you need anything for your bench.  Here's a couple photos of the bullet in question.  The bullet with the red lube is my current 265 gr home cast Keith bullet. The new Missouri bullet looks pretty good.  Basic Keith design with a bigger meplat.  There's a similar mold available from Tom over at Accurate Molds for you casters...

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Sorry about the mess on my bench, but well...you know....

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Stmstan 445
Guest(s) 74
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377