Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Tightgroup and 148 gr. wadcutters CFE and 124 gr Rnose
shooter 715
North Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 14, 2015 - 7:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Another successful day at the range.  200 lite loads down the 715 tube with some really good groups at 25 yards.  Of course I cheated and used my Burris scope!!!   I'm not a big bang/fire out the ports kinda guy.  I like to load em a little less than 1/2 of Hodgdon's  recipes.  

If you looking for a soft/accurate load for the kids or mom let me suggest 2 that I have been reloading for a couple of years.  

.357 - 2.9 gr Tightgroup/CCI 550/148 gr wadcutter.  I have used Berry's and Xtreme with great results from both. 

.38 special - again 2.9 gr Tightgroup/CCI 500/148 gr. wadcutter.  This one of course has just a little more umph but hardly noticeable.

Have run these 2 loads thru DW715/Ruger Security Six/Tau.669 without any problems...

Also been using CFE pistol for my CZ75 and Moravian Arms G2000 since no Win231 has set foot in Dallas(that I know of) in almost a year. And I have looked high and low.

4.8 gr. CFE/CCI 500/124 gr  Xtreme Roundnose produces loads that are easy on the wrist and mom friendly as well.  

Never had any issues with this one either.... 

Saddle Sore in Plano, Texas

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5308
August 14, 2015 - 7:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Be very careful with light loads ( "I like to load em a little less than 1/2 of Hodgdon’s  recipes").  You are risking cartridge detonation!  When I reduce loads, I use a filler (COW) to reduce the risk of blowing up my firearm.  Goggle reduced loads and detonation to read plenty on the subject.  Be Safe!  Ron

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Zedbra
Squamish, British Columbia
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 661
August 14, 2015 - 8:19 pm

I have been using Titegroup and 3.2g with 148g wadcutters in .38 SPL casings - seems to like it better in my 8" barrels, which I prefer to shoot. 

shooter 715
North Texas
Members
August 15, 2015 - 12:13 am

rwsem said
Be very careful with light loads ( "I like to load em a little less than 1/2 of Hodgdon’s  recipes").  You are risking cartridge detonation!  When I reduce loads, I use a filler (COW) to reduce the risk of blowing up my firearm.  Goggle reduced loads and detonation to read plenty on the subject.  Be Safe!  Ron

That did sound kinda off didn't it.

What I really meant to say was I start at the midpoint of the low/high suggested recipe and reduce down from there but not below the low side...In my early reloading days I would challenge the low side a little to often and got tired of having to load up the barrel with Kroil and knock the round out.

I am always somewhat amused when I see (mostly younger) shooters with .44mag and .50 cal handguns at the range.

They will shoot 3 or 4 full cylinders worth and call it a day.  Too much wrist strain I guess.  Since I am a mostly a paper puncher I enjoy the softer loads cause I can shoot all day without having to visit the orthopedist. 

Jim

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5308
August 15, 2015 - 5:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah..much better.  I have also dabbled in lower velocity reloading, to include reduced loads.  I'm always amused by the "kids" who show up at the range with Buffalo Bore or Double Tap heavy for caliber ammunition.  You're right- they don't stick around long...

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

shooter 715
North Texas
Members
August 15, 2015 - 9:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zedbra said
I have been using Titegroup and 3.2g with 148g wadcutters in .38 SPL casings - seems to like it better in my 8" barrels, which I prefer to shoot. 

TG is pretty darn clean too.  I hardly have to run the lyman after shooting to get them clean on the inside.

ZEDBRA, what load do you use when you hunt Bigfoot up in the BC wilderness?

Zedbra
Members

Dans Club
August 16, 2015 - 12:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

shooter 715 said

Zedbra said

TG is pretty darn clean too.  I hardly have to run the lyman after shooting to get them clean on the inside.

ZEDBRA, what load do you use when you hunt Bigfoot up in the BC wilderness?

Well then I dip into the .357 with 6.1g of Titegroup with 158g FMJ bullets.  Both my Dan's like this combo.

Sad to say, but we are not allowed to carry handguns into the bush up North here or I'm sure we'd have bagged a few Squatch's by now.  🙂

shooter 715
North Texas
Members
August 16, 2015 - 8:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What the heck, you got Orcas, Chinooks, Steelhead and Grizzlys!!!  It must be dangerous just to walk out your backdoor...

Zedbra
Members

Dans Club
August 16, 2015 - 9:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

shooter 715 said
What the heck, you got Orcas, Chinooks, Steelhead and Grizzlys!!!  It must be dangerous just to walk out your backdoor...

The Grizz and black bears are really all you need to be careful of - usually they grab 5-10 people per year.  And for those two, I'd want something a little more spicy than a .357 - that would probably just get them pissed before they chewed on ya. 

Here's a little vid of a black bear chilling in my back yard about 5 years ago:

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/Zedbra/th_BearVisit005.mp4

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
August 16, 2015 - 2:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice country there. Thanks for sharing. Love the Z280 convertible...not sure about the seat belt...

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

Zedbra
Members

Dans Club
August 16, 2015 - 2:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I spent a lot of time on that 280Z - the seat belt is from an airplane, so it works well.  The whole car is massively reinforced, the trunk is from a Triumph TR7, the roof is a modified BMW roof, and under the hood is a 400hp Cobra Mustang fuel injected motor mated to a 6 speed tranny - it goes like a raped ape, stops courtesy of retrofitted 300Z modern brakes at all 4 corners.  No power steering though, that keeps your biceps honest.  🙂

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 29
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3977
Stinger: 3395