Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Range Day with the 744!
Taz575
Members
Forum Posts: 52
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 12, 2017 - 2:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I finally got to an outdoor range with my new 744 this week before the 3 snow storms hit.  I had previously shot at an indoor range, max 50' to test fire it after I got it off Gun Broker, so I wanted to stretch out it's legs a bit.

Set up a 9.5" gong at 100 yds and a paper target at 25 yds.  Sights had me hitting left a bit, so I got that corrected, but at 25 yds, I was like 6" high.  Bottomed out the rear sight and I was a touch low at 25 yds.  I had some left over 44 special and factory 44 mag from my previous trip and I loaded up some 240gr LSWC with 6.5 and 7 gr of Unique and some 240 XTP over 22.8 and 23.9gr of 296.  So with the 44 specials, which were rated at 750 FPS and my hottest XTP loads at 1350, I had a good range of velocities to try!

The LSWC rounds shot very nicely (Oregon Trail Laser Cast .431), especially the 7gr Unique.  This was the first round I hit the gong with at 100 yds off of a front rest and using iron sights.  That got me hooked.  I went up thru my ammo and kept dropping rear sight down a bit as I got higher in velocity to keep my hold the same.  I got more and more consistent from the bench, but I wanted to see what it was like standing!

This was a bit harder, but I managed to get 2/3 and 3/4 at 100 yds a few times standing, 2 handed, in SA and DA on the gong!  By this time, I had shot over 100 rds and was getting into the hotter of the magnum loadings, so I was getting shakier.  I brought out my shooting stick, which I use during hunting and was able to get good hits on the gong easily with that to help steady me even though I was tired. 

My scope mount came in last week and the scope will be here this week.  I have been stalking the EWK Arms website for a 8" 44 mag RH barrel assembly so I don't have to D&T my VH rib.  This way I can still have fun with the iron sights!  I ordered a BFR rear sight because my DW sight was wobbly; the blade can be clicked left and right, even with the set screw tightened.  I saw a One Hole Sight blade for the BFR, so I may try that as I like peep sights on my other guns.  That would be a nice set up with a FO front and a peep rear for hunting w/o a scope!

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
February 13, 2017 - 4:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Taz575 said
  That would be a nice set up with a FO front and a peep rear for hunting w/o a scope!  

I agree, that would be cool! If you do end up going that way, be sure to show us somecool-pics of the set installed.

Taz575
Members
February 13, 2017 - 4:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The BFR rear sight from Kahr shipped and the Warren One Hole blade should ship soon!  I will let people know how it goes.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5289
February 13, 2017 - 5:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It works great- I have a 741 set up with a SBH rear and one ragged hole insert.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Taz575
Members
February 15, 2017 - 7:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I received the BFR rear sight yesterday and the Warren One Hole should be here today.  However, the One Hole is for the slotted rear sight with the removable blade (like this:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/421942/ruger-rear-sight-base-assembly-complete-ruger-blackhawk-super-blackhawk-old-army-bisley-single-six-single-six-bisley-models), but the BFR sight I received looks more like the one listed here: http://www.lpasights.com/en/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=156&category_id=32

So now I order a SBH rear sight, or cut/weld a small washer to the BFR sight blade. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Supermagfan, MagnumBoomer, 605Dart, BearLakeBlues
Guest(s) 36
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377