Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Metallic Silhouette 100 yd accuracy
PapaD
Members
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 2, 2016 - 8:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

For those members who currently or used to shoot NRA or IHMSA metallic silhouette, what kind of accuracy were you able to obtain at 100 yds/meters with either the 44 Magnum or the 22 LR, also interested in the 32 H&R Mag, but figure that is a fairly rare bird.

Also what barrel length were you using, and was the revolver scoped or iron sights.

Lastly have seen photos of revolvers with front sight hoods, and was wondering where folks bought these and are they still available?

Much appreciated!

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4005
March 2, 2016 - 8:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The sight hoods were Bomar and usually had special rear adjustable sights to go with it.  I have never shot IHMSA so can't answer your accuracy question although I do own a few SRS guns with the Bomar sights.  I don't think they are available any longer.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

Prescut
the southwest and the free state of AZ
Members
Forum Posts: 99
March 3, 2016 - 10:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Never shot in the matches, but a 100 yard gong is my current favorite shooting.  I started with the 357 Maximum, but have added a T/C Contender with 12" barrel shooting 44 Mag scoped.  I'm ringing the gong 2-3 out of 6.  That's good shooting for me.  and it's more fun than I've had in a long time shooting.

If your question concerns accuracy, that is difficult to say.  I'm the largest variable.  My eyes are pretty rough these days.

I'm reloading for the Maximum and have gotten it to good accuracy with manageable recoil.

I think the 44 Mag is very accurate from the right gun with the right ammo.   The authority with which it bangs that gong is impressive.  It also bangs my old joints real good too.  I plan on shooting cowboy loads and/or 44 Specials.  I think it shoots reasonably flat out to 100 yards.  I will reload my first 44 this month.  I'm looking forward to adjusting the recipe to get just what I want in velocity, accuracy, recoil, and fun.

The 22 is a different story.  The drop is dependent on the ammo and barrel length.  Each new ammo requires me to adjust the sights or scope.  I track all of the results on my Android spreadsheet for each weapon.  There are lots of variables, but the history helps speed the process.   

I hope I got close to your target.

Prescut

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
March 31, 2016 - 6:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The hooded sights either came on the SRS series or are aftermarket ones, usually made by Lansing Shooters Supply. The rear sights were Bo-Mars, no longer made. If you can find a set for sale, they will be expensive. Expect to pay over $125 for them.

My .22 Dan Wesson is the 10" Silhouette version. These have the IHMSA ram engraved on the barrel shroud. The best mine did at 100 yards was 3.5 inch groups with Eley Tenex, and I tried a lot of ammo. I never could get it to shoot any better, it was even sent back to the factory. They changed the barrel, but that didn't help. My next plan was to get a new cylinder, but I never got around to it.

My .44 Dan Wesson, along with all my other centerfire DW's will do 2-4" groups at 100 meters, most of them around the 2" mark. All have 8 or 10" barrels, testing done with a 10X Burris handgun scope using benchrest techniques, including wind flags. After the load testing, the scopes were removed and they have used exclusively with iron sights since then.

The Savantist

PapaD
Members
Forum Posts: 8
April 13, 2016 - 10:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IHMSA80x80,

Appreciate it, exactly what I was looking for, picked up an old IHMSA Signature Reloading Manual, they talk about ID Neck reaming the 44 mag cases if the bullet does not slip into a fired case.

Was wondering if you did this in terms of the loadings you were getting the 2" groups with.

Thanks again!

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
April 14, 2016 - 6:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

PapaD said
IHMSA80x80,

Appreciate it, exactly what I was looking for, picked up an old IHMSA Signature Reloading Manual, they talk about ID Neck reaming the 44 mag cases if the bullet does not slip into a fired case.

Was wondering if you did this in terms of the loadings you were getting the 2" groups with.

Thanks again!

That may have been a problem back in the early days of silhouette, but I never found it necessary for any of my cases, and I started shooting steel in 1985. It wasn't until 2005 that I got my .44 DW, Prior to that, I was shooting either the .357 SuperMag, my .414 SuperMag or my .41 Magnums.

The Savantist

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 28
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3879