Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
7445 Unfired no more!!
pete
OH
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1203
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 9, 2016 - 5:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I took 4 to range today and my buddy took his Colt 45.

Mine were Walther 9mm. Savage 32, DW's 14- 6" w/new Houge grip,

And last but certainly not least the 445 6" range-timerange-timebig-grin

Shot 24 44's through her THAT'S A GUN, YEAH BABYcool. Recoil was surprisingly not bad !!

We'll see w/445's get here.drool. If there was any doubt Rich, It's a SWEET SHOOTER.occasion

My pardner is quiet and calm,but had a grin ear to ear w/he saw 445 and more w/he shot itrofllaughing

90 yr old Savage, smooth as butter. Not a hiccup one !! and some cool-pics7445-6-006.JPGImage Enlarger

7445-6-002.JPGImage Enlarger
7445-6-004.JPGImage Enlarger
7445-6-005.JPGImage Enlarger

SIZE DOES  MATTER

man of blues
Ohio
Disabled Users
Forum Posts: 173
April 9, 2016 - 5:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

sweeeeet...

glad you like it, I knew you would, and also knew it wouldn't take more than 24 hours before you stuffed it with some .44's and shot it... its all good, just make sure you scrub the cylinder to remove the powder ing before using any s/m brass...

I'll have to bring down my 4" S/M and some hot ammo for you to try, its interesting to say the least.... my wife won't shoot that one.....

pete
OH
Members

DWF Supporters
snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1921
April 9, 2016 - 6:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gotta love it when a plan comes together! When you get the 445 loads, everyone else at the range will stop and come to see what you are shooting. Last time I was out, a couple guys wanted pictures holding it. big-grin

I offered to let them shoot it, but they declined.smile

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3377
April 9, 2016 - 6:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

snake-eye said
Last time I was out, a couple guys wanted pictures holding it.  I offered to let them shoot it, but they declined.smile

Funny stuff right there !

pete
OH
Members

DWF Supporters
April 9, 2016 - 6:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stinger said

snake-eye said
Last time I was out, a couple guys wanted pictures holding it.  I offered to let them shoot it, but they declined.smile

Funny stuff right there !

Light weight woosies surprised  hahehe

SIZE DOES  MATTER

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
April 9, 2016 - 6:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the Supermag club!smile They were made to be shot and once you shoot one, you'll want more dwas.  Nice shooting.  Just wait until you get some genuine 445 loads to run in that beauty, you'll really be grinning ear to ear.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

Stinger
Members
April 9, 2016 - 7:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SCORPIO said
Just wait until you get some genuine 445 loads to run in that beauty, you'll really be grinning ear to ear.

.. or be flat on his back !

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
April 9, 2016 - 8:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My father

My grandfather

man of blues
Ohio
Disabled Users
April 9, 2016 - 8:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

last time I did any indoor range shooting, I took my wife along, and had 2x .357's, the .44 mag, and the .445 vh8 with me, momma had a lane next to me, but the lane next to her had 2 young fella's sharing a lane, and they were ripping thru 9mm mags at lightning speed... and with a body target out at the 20' mark, were spraying like a water hose... really pathetic.. my wife was pounding a single jagged hole in a spot target at 30'... so I got tired of the noise, switched lanes with her, and ripped off 6 rds in the .445, and dumped a speedloader full and repeated it

the young men both stepped back, and left the range... silly kids...wowwowworshippoke

yes, it does get to be habit forming. what I find the most funny thing, is the look on someone's face, when that muzzle pressure pushes their eyeballs back into their sockets, their cheeks flap flat like they are on a centrifuge, and a huge grin results in them saying, "can I do that some more??!!!"

dwf-welcomelaughing

Stinger
Members
April 9, 2016 - 8:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SCORPIO said
My 100 lb daughter handles 445 loads no problem.

I admire bad ass chicks !laugh

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
Forum Posts: 2311
April 9, 2016 - 9:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SCORPIO said
Nah, my 100 lb daughter handles 445 loads no problem.

Well Chris, it's all about technique and I'm pretty sure she had a more than adequate instructor. big-grin

To the paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers:

if you find one...what's your plan?

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 9, 2016 - 9:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unfired 7445 is pretty nice indeed. How about unfired, NIB .445 Supermag, S/N 000001?

Image Enlarger

I was the second owner, I bought it from the LGS that sold it to the original owner, a collector that traded it in.

Truth be told, it is actually my son's gun, purchased locally as a "gift wink to me" while he was home on leave after his deployment in the Gulf. It transferred to him as soon as he moved to his new duty station. Of course, I posted this find on DWF, three days later a package with new, unfired .445 SM brass showed up in my mail from Jody. "Unfired"  lasted about three days after that package arrived.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
Forum Posts: 2311
April 9, 2016 - 9:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve said
Unfired 7445 is pretty nice indeed. How about unfired, NIB .445 Supermag, S/N 000001?

Image Enlarger

I was the second owner, I bought it from the LGS that sold it to the original owner, a collector that traded it in.

Truth be told, it is actually my son's gun, purchased locally as a "gift wink to me" while he was home on leave after his deployment in the Gulf. It transferred to him as soon as he moved to his new duty station. Of course, I posted this find on DWF, three days later a package with new, unfired .445 SM brass showed up in my mail from Jody. "Unfired"  lasted about three days after that package arrived.

I believe one of the first victims was a fair sized rock that didn't fair to well......

To the paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers:

if you find one...what's your plan?

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 9, 2016 - 9:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

pete
OH
Members

DWF Supporters
April 9, 2016 - 11:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks y'all. I cleaned her up and can't put it away. Just sitting on couch beside me making mebig-grinlaughing My ole lady will shoot it. She ain't skeert. range-time Might be one 445 will be enough for her, we'll see. Ain't gonna knock me down Stinger!poke I can't wait for SM rnds!

That a beauty Steve and ammo.worship

Mike w/45 has a loader. May need some dies, but guess I gotta if I want shoot it and not go in poor house !!

occasion 

SIZE DOES  MATTER

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
April 10, 2016 - 12:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

FYI, you can use 44 mag dies to load the 445, only need to adjust them out a few turns. They also use the same bullets as standard 44 mag.  Most loading manuals list plenty of good reliable loads for the 445 also.

My father

My grandfather

man of blues
Ohio
Disabled Users
April 10, 2016 - 5:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve said

Image Enlarger

sweet Gen 2 gun there, 

when I bought my first .445, it came directly from IHMSA, along with 250 IHMSA headstamped empty brass, when I picked it all up at my LGS, I stopped at a pal's house about a mile from the store, and stuffed up 50 cases, and we hit the range.... I think about 2 hours had elapsed between picking the gun up, and firing the first round.... hehehheheeh

then I went home, and loaded the rest of the brass, and the next day shot 250 more with a big smile....wowworshiplol2lol2laughing

for all my .445 loads I do use full length sizing dies,(carbide) and also use a firm roll crimp die when seating the slugs, taper crimp die doesn't work when you start bumping these loads up. I also keep a close eye when reloading, after cleaning and depriming/resizing I measure the case lengths. and trim them all when they start growing.

the IHMSA gun was built slightly different than the newer versions, and the space behind the cylinder allows me to use .30-40 Krag brass which I've cut down and fire formed to .445 spec; the cases are more robust, and the rim is slightly larger in diameter, and about .003" thicker. There is a slight reduction of the actual case volume due to the brass, but as it is stronger, I have never had an issue, and most of my loads since I began all this are compressed powder ones.

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
April 10, 2016 - 5:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I find I can't use the 30-40 brass in all my guns, some of them need the rims turned down in order to work, others are fine.  Must have been a spec change somewhere along the line.

My father

My grandfather

man of blues
Ohio
Disabled Users
April 10, 2016 - 6:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

SCORPIO said
I find I can't use the 30-40 brass in all my guns, some of them need the rims turned down in order to work, others are fine.  Must have been a spec change somewhere along the line.

that's kinda why the Palmer I sold to Dave was unfired by me, It would not chamber my Krag brass, and I didn't want to shoot my IHMSA brass, as it's kinda collectable...

My Monson guns are fine with the Krag stuff tho... They are really old, original manufacture runs, and I believe when they were made Elgin pressured them a bit to make sure they would take the Krag brass, as that's pretty much what we had, to develop the original loads... The IHMSA brass was made by Miidway iirc, and it was spec'd to .44 mag dimensions, but longer.. I had a few split on me with what I considered moderate loadings, so I really didn't want to ruin all of them, ended up pulling a lot of loads, and reducing them somewhat to the low end of the spectrum for storage. and some stored in speed loaders for hunting and carry.

I can't remember if my pal's Gen 2, like the one in Steve's picture, would chamber the Krag stuff, I think it did, but was a bit tight...

I ended up making some tooling fixtures for use in reducing the heads diameter, and face thickness for a guy I shot with that wanted to load stout rounds in his contender single shot. It worked, but was time consuming, and I ended up re-machining the barrel to accept the unmodified heads, and we re-stamped the barrel marking to note the mod. It was a bastard barrel any ways, because I had already reamed it from a .44 mag bbl for the S/M cartridge, it was an SSK, compensated heavy stainless 14" bull barrel to start.

here's a bit o eye candy,

the original package that the brass came in, from IHMSA...

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u672/MAN_OF_BLUES/GUNS%20AND%20AMMO/old%20guns/IMGP2488_zpsnfwdbbrf.jpgImage Enlarger

headstamps of both original, and the Krag... I think I have about 1000 Krag, and only 250 or so IHMSA.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u672/MAN_OF_BLUES/GUNS%20AND%20AMMO/old%20guns/IMGP2490_zpsybquzpju.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u672/MAN_OF_BLUES/GUNS%20AND%20AMMO/old%20guns/IMGP2491_zpsa0ti37cr.jpgImage Enlarger

just showing them for a comparo, so please understand I'm not trying to sell them... (mods).. just showing them to people that may never have seen them.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: 605Dart
Guest(s) 21
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377