Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Smith & Wesson model 547, one of my "grail guns"
jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
Forum Posts: 246
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 30, 2019 - 7:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I bought this on another forum (I'll give you a hint, it also has Wesson in the name). It's one of my "grail guns" or "bucket list" guns. I buy them to shoot, not simply collect so I look for good condition, good value, but not necessarily pristine since I'm going to use them as they were intended. I'm a happy camper with this one after a little concern when it first arrived.

Jerry-Nanson-IMG_3974.JPGImage Enlarger

Jerry-Nanson-IMG_3977.JPGImage Enlarger

Here is a close up of the ejector. Definitely an expensive revolver to make, which is probably why they only made about 6,000 of them.

IMG_3253-1.JPGImage Enlarger

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
October 4, 2019 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is this the 9mm revolver?

Always great to get a grail piece. Enjoy.

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
Forum Posts: 246
October 5, 2019 - 9:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, 9mm with no moon clips required. It's a complex design and the story behind it, supposedly, is that it was designed for the Palestinian police force, a small number were purchased & then the contract was canceled. It'a S&W K-frame similar to model 13 .357, which was carried by the FBI, with a similar bull barrel. Around 10,000 were made, approximately 6400 w/ 3" barrels & round butt, & the rest were 4" barrels and square butt revolvers. Even though fewer 4" were made, the 3" seem to command a higher price overall. I shot it today for the first time & it is one sweet shooting revolver. My first impression is that a 3", 9mm revolver might just be the perfect revolver.

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

Different Drummer
Members
Forum Posts: 200
October 6, 2019 - 6:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have harbored an interest in 9mm revolvers for some time.  I was going to convert a DW but the High Standard "Porker" I bought as a base for the project turned ut to be too nice to mess with.

I believe the Palestinian police Israeli contract was an IMI produced 9mm revolver modeled after the S&W 1917.  It used half moon clips.

I think the S&W 547 was a French police contract.  The French switched horses in mid stream and went a different direction.  The revolvers found their way to the civilian market where the revolver folks lacked enthusiasm for a 9mm and the 9mm folks felt the same in regards to a 9mm in a revolver.

I think the low production numbers are a result of the canceled contract combined with a less than enthusiastic acceptance on the open market at the time as opposed to the design and production complexity.

Of course as has happened much too frequently in the past, I may be completely in error on the subject.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3879
October 9, 2019 - 1:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Drummer, I too have a 547. Actually, I have 2. One is identical to yours and the other was sent back to S&W when new and nickel plated. That one has a box, literature and providence. It left the factory blue but may be one of a kind. I don't think Smith shipped any nickel 547s. You are right, they were a red headed stepchild when released. Many Smith collectors still turn their noses up at them but the 3" heavy barreled K frame guns regardless of cartridge are highly sought now. Glad you finally have your 9mm revolver. I am still going to convert some porkchops to 9mm when I get the time. 

Different Drummer
Members
Forum Posts: 200
October 9, 2019 - 5:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Ole Dog said
Drummer, I too have a 547. Actually, I have 2. One is identical to yours and the other was sent back to S&W when new and nickel plated. That one has a box, literature and providence. It left the factory blue but may be one of a kind. I don't think Smith shipped any nickel 547s. You are right, they were a red headed stepchild when released. Many Smith collectors still turn their noses up at them but the 3" heavy barreled K frame guns regardless of cartridge are highly sought now. Glad you finally have your 9mm revolver. I am still going to convert some porkchops to 9mm when I get the time.   

Hi Ron,

I think you have me confused with jertex. I don't own a 547 but would like to.  I have the idea of doing a 9mm with the orphan

HS Sentinel MK 111 I picked up after I decided the MK 11 was just too pristine to mess with.  The orphan MK 111 is now whole.  Believe it or nt I even found a proper HS MK111 shroud for it.  I have not forgot where all the DW 9mm cylinders are hiding if I should get on with the project.cool.

Good to hear from you.  Hope the Bonsai is going well.   Switched coasts for the winter.  Now hanging in Cedar Key.

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
October 12, 2019 - 3:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just a firearms observation I've see over the years...three inch revolver always seem to command the highest prices...Pythons are just one of them.

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 38
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3879
Stinger: 3360