Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Ruger Redhawk 454 Casull
tommy2waffle
South Carolina
Members
Forum Posts: 40
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 17, 2010 - 11:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was cruising through the local Craigs List here locally under "sporting" and the word "Redhawk" jumped off the page at me.  I immediately assumed they were not talking about redtalled hawks.  As most of you probably know, CL does not tolerate "weapons of mass disstruction" so sellers must be cagey.  I contacted the guy and sure enough he had a Ruger Redhawk 454 (.45 Colt) in LNIB condition for sale.  I called my local gun guru and reloading buddy (so far he has gotten me over 200 brand new Remington .357 maxi pieces of brass) and we discussed if the 'Redhawk' was a good deal at his asking price.  We agreed that is was probably a very fair price so I went to look at it.  The gun was certainly in LNIB condition.  Seller said he had only fired one box of shell through it, too expensive, whereas he was paying nearly $3.00 a round.  We dickered a bit, discussed everything from Jack Russells to "the Judge" which he also has one each of, and struck a deal for a bit less than the asking price.  Went over to my buddy's house and he and I just happened to stop into a little bait/tackle/gun/hunting/fishing shop, and while talking to ol' Henry in there noticed he had some 454s the shelf.  I just wanted to see one and he opened a box and let me eye ball it.  I asked what he got for a box of 20 and he said $29.99.  Now that is only $1.50 a bullet.  Called back to my reloader buddy and he said "buy them" you will have nice brass to reload and will get out of it pretty cheap in the long run.  So this week-end I am going to take my new "toy" and see how it shoots.  The two people I have ever talked to that had a 454 said they like it, but it was a "hand full".   I think I will keep it as a "trader" for someone maybe that has a Dan Wesson and wants something like this.  I now have .357 Maxi brass, primers in Ohio, I just have to get up there and git them, powder, and now to locate bullets and I will be able to do some reloading for the DW .357 Maxi.  I am going to keep it pretty mild though, that way I can reload the brass a good many times.  Pictures to follow (hahahaha) I hope.

Tom Meservey, USN (Ret) Gun control, first grip the Dan Wesson in both hands……………

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
February 18, 2010 - 8:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice purchase!  Can't wait to see some pics.  Don't shoot it too much now 😉

SHOOT

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
February 18, 2010 - 9:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds like you got a nice gun, congrats!Cool Now, this is a Redhawk, or a Super Redhawk? I don't know if I've seen .454's in a Redhawk, I've only noticed that caliber in the SRH...not that I'm claiming to know anything, by any means.Wink The Redhawk is definitely the better looking of the two. Show us someCool Pics when you can.Laugh

The recoil in a DA gun generally hits arder than a SA gun, from my experience. The DA recoil hits more straight back & the the gun doesn't move much in your hand. The SA will roll in your hand, absorbing a lot of the felt recoil. I've got this .454 Seville & was quite surprised the first time I pulled the trigger...I remember thinking "I thought this caliber was supposed to me mean?"rofl I'm sure the 10" heavy barrel has a lot to do with it, but I was still expecting more. It feels about the same as my .44 Super Blackhawk in the recoil department.

Image Enlarger

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: 3ric, Stmstan 445
Guest(s) 61
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912